Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

My Chemical Romance Tour Tour • Page 2

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Ryanjayreviews

Regular

I live In Florida and I'm seriously considering flying out to my first Coachella this year just to see them and then hopefully the tour hits us. Cause I want both experiences of a fest and there own tour

2. blinxspot

So about MCR headlining Coachella

3. Ryanjayreviews

Regular

It's pretty much a given there headling. Expect that to be announced in the next 2 weeks

4. Cmoney86

Trusted

They aren’t a headliner the headliners are ratm Travis Scott and frank ocean.

Source is US magazine who where told exclusively who the headliners are

they are prolly a sub and will play before one of the headliners but not a headliner

even in the reddit they say they aren’t headlining Coachella

blinxspot likes this.
  5. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Ready for those NA dates to leak!

6. Ryanjayreviews

Regular

Yeah but they will be way up on the poster. ( and a main draw) Probably right below rage. And to me that's a headliner. Probably playing right before rage. Or closing out another stage at the same time.

7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

That’s literally not what headliner means

red8ge, Contender, blinxspot and 3 others like this.
  8. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah no matter how you spin it they are not a headliner. They are simply just not big enough to headline.

9. Ryanjayreviews

Regular

I apologize sub headliner.

10. Ryanjayreviews

Regular

I don't know about that. I've seen travis Scott like 8 times and he's never played a venue bigger here in Florida that mcr hasn't played. It seems like they would draw just as much as each other

11. TMS2787

Trusted

There is not a single chance that they are or ever where are as big as Travis Scott is.

12. Ryanjayreviews

Regular

Maybe I just have a warped view then. I remember seeing mcr during the black parade days when I was like 13 and it feeling massive. They were playing the same venues that travis plays now. I figured as a rock band they were the same as is travis is to rap

I've seen kanye jay z and drake as well. And they all felt much bigger then travis. Travis's crowd and show felt the same as what I remember seeing mcr shows like

And so many interviews and podcasts like lead singer syndrome keep saying there bigger now then they were then. So I figured they could probably pull in similar numbers

13. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

It's hard for me to gauge how popular they are too. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who cares about them and then others it feels like they're the biggest rock band in the world right now. I think it's because their fanbase is particularly passionate, it makes it feel like the band is bigger? Travis definitely has a reach far beyond My Chem but I feel like a lot more of his audience are casual listeners whereas MCR listeners are often fans, even obsessively so.

Anyway my guess is they're subheadlining coachella on the same night Rage headlines.

theasteriskera and Cgarnsay like this.
  14. Pats12Sox34

Regular

Bruh, who even is Travis Scott? Certainly not a member of the black parade!

15. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

I don't understand all the talk about them having to wait to announce stuff until Coachella gets announced. There's radius clauses and whatnot but that would not prevent them from announcing anything else domestically...especially not even being a headliner, that kind of exclusivity doesn't make sense. I don't think there's any sort of precedent around that.

16. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

The tour is probably why they aren’t a headliner tbh.

17. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

If MCR is playing Coachella, it's almost certainly part of their contract that they can't announce a tour until the festival is announced or most likely, sold out. I'd be shocked if they're playing the festival and the NA dates are announced before that lineup drops.

This article lays it out pretty nicely.

18. heymattrick

That article is all about radius clauses, specifically with Coachella, which means they can't play other shows in the radius of where Coachella is located (Southern California). It has nothing to do with exclusivity over announcing dates anywhere. And like I said, if MCR wouldn't even be a headliner at Coachella, it would seem even stranger for them to be so restricted in announcing anything. If playing Coachella would prevent them from playing anywhere else in Southern California, what impact would that have on them announcing tour dates elsewhere in the US?

19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Gaslight announced a bunch of dates then announced the Asbury Park dates after Gov Ball, so yeah, it wouldn't seem weird for them to announce US dates that don't coincide with/effect their involvement in Coachella.

20. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

You're absolutely right that it's about radius clauses. But Goldenvoice isn't other promoters, and they do what they want because of the prestige of playing Coachella. Plus there's this nugget, buried in the fourth paragraph: "Mileage and time vary between promoters, with some particularly severe clauses extending hundreds of miles and a few covering entire regions of the United States. One L.A.-based festival stipulates that an artist is not even allowed to announce any other shows until the festival has sold out." That might seem like it's only referring to announcing shows within the L.A. "radius", but I've followed these things for quite awhile, and I'm pretty sure it's not.

Obviously, the L.A.-based festival is Coachella, and they've done this with notable reunions before. LCD Soundsystem in 2016. Guns 'N' Roses in 2016. OutKast in 2014. Pavement (subheadliner) in 2010. Faith No More (subheadliner) in 2010. All of them announced tour dates after Coachella dropped its lineup.

Take OutKast, for example. Here's how their tour dates dropped in 2014:
    1/8: Coachella announces lineup.
    1/10: Coachella sells out.
    1/13: OutKast themselves announce Gov Ball and appearances at forty other (unnamed) festivals.
    1/14: Firefly announces lineup.
    1/15: Gov Ball announces lineup. Hangout announces lineup. CounterPoint announces lineup.
    1/16: Big Guava announces lineup.

And so on.

In the case of MCR, I'd imagine their schedule, as stipulated by contract, will be as follows:
    1.) Goldenvoice-promoted show in December (Shrine Auditorium is promoted by Goldenvoice).
    2.) Coachella announces MCR as a subheadliner (most likely for RaTM) in early-January.
    3.) Coachella tickets sell out.
    4.) Within the next week, MCR announces their arena tour.

Coachella is going to sell out regardless of whether MCR announces a tour early or is on the lineup at all. So why do this at all? Quite simply, it's a power move by Goldenvoice. They're doing it because they can, and they know how much this particular reunion means to a lot of people.

Could I be wrong? Sure. But I'm reasonably sure that I'm not.

21. heymattrick

Thanks for the explanation! I missed that little line in the middle. Sucks that the reunion is somewhat held at the mercy of Coachella. I was really hoping they weren't playing it at all.

alkalinexandy and fowruok like this.
  22. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

MCR was confirmed as playing Coachella by Consequence of Sound last night. I'd expect the lineup will drop next week and then perhaps MCR tour dates around January 15th. Hopefully, anyway!

23. heymattrick

“Confirmed”

Brent likes this.
  24. Xpertguy5

Trusted

MCR is not on Coachella. Line up just dropped

25. red8ge

Regular

lmao