Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

My Chemical Romance Are About to Break the Internet • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 31, 2019.

1. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Am I the only one baffled by the negative response to $150 ticket price? Its a little above but not too far out there, considering this is a band that could do an amphitheatre/arena tour, with GA tickets around that price. And this is a reunion show, for a band that has fans that have been clamoring for it so much its basically a meme.

I just paid $125 for Kacey Musgraves at Radio City Music Hall, which is comparable in size and price.

2. KyleAtGalaxy

Regular

At least they didn't screw up like the Beatles and say they were bigger than Jesus

3. Piercalicious

Regular

Alt Press is reporting there will be a follow-up tour. These prices are probably jacked up b/c of the exclusivity aspect of the first comeback show.

RyanPm40 and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  4. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Don’t go lmao

also, it’s a smart way to prevent the magnitude of scalpers.

5. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Comparing to the Fall Out Boy reunion, that price is whack.

6. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

Who’s playing drums?

7. VCargo08

Wait FOB broke up?

8. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

9. Honestly they should charge more than 150 bucks a ticket because they are the greatest

Osceola13 likes this.
  10. VCargo08

i legitimately didnt notice, lol. there isnt even really much of a gap in their discography

11. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Kacey Musgraves is WAY bigger than My Chemical Romance.

12. Piercalicious

Regular

By what metric? MCR is pulling like 2 million+ more monthly Spotify listeners without dropping a formal new release in almost a decade

13. sawhney[rusted]2 Oct 31, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 31, 2019)
    sawhney[rusted]2

I'm not entirely sure about that. I'd say they're kind of similar. My Chemical Romance is a weird outlier in where their streaming numbers have increased over the years, and there are a good number of younger kids who are listening to being just as committed fans as back in the past, similar (imo) to how 00's teenagers view Nirvana. And their merchandising and branding is much larger than other bands as well. Kacey doesn't have nearly the same influence, yet at least!
    Even under other platforms this stands true. You can remove some movement due to being on high volume playlists, but its pretty undeniable.

14. Ska Senanake

Trusted

One of the first bands i ever saw. Would love some new tunes.

15. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

The first show I ever went to was MCR opening for Green Day

summertimejesus and Ska Senanake like this.
  16. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Album sales, touring revenue, critical acclaim. I'd assume a big nostalgia wave is driving Spotify streams for MCR. It's an apples to oranges comparison though given the period their stuff was out (MCR album sales in 2006 when streaming was at its infancy vs Kacey now when album sales are kinda nonexistent, though she's still got a Platinum and Gold album to her name).

I know Grammys are kind of a skewed way to judge things, but she's one of a very small group to win CMA, ACM and Grammy album of the year for the same record. She's huge right now. MCR are big amongst a nostalgia crowd, but I don't think in 2019 they're at the level Kacey is. 2006 them blows her away though.

17. somethingwitty

Trusted

Is it a hot take to consider the Black Parade their weakest release? I remember being in high school and loving the first two albums, then The Black Parade came around and all the kids who made fun of the emo/punk kids became fans.

That album just always seemed kinda cheesy.

dorfmac and currytheword like this.
  18. sawhney[rusted]2

MCR sold over 3 millions copies of Three Cheers and 4 million for The Black Parade. The only metric they "fail" by is critical acclaim, which they would never have gotten lol

I love love love Kacey, and she's on her way to being much bigger. But as of right now she's not that close to MCR. So, my point still stands, I don't think the band is that crazy for selling these tickets at this price.

19. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Cash grab. Don’t fault them though

Brent likes this.
  20. palewhiteboy88

Regular Supporter

So the Jonas Bros weren’t lying

21. anewhope

Regular

Philly is Saturday. Sorry bud

More than likely for emo nite in LA

22. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Say it with me now. Everything. Every. Band. Does. Is a “cash grab”

23. Landrick Robert

Stay Gold

This. Even if they were keeping it under wraps they didn't have to make it out like the Jonas Bro's were using their name to chase relevancy.

Brent likes this.
  24. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

To be fair, streaming may have been at its infancy, but pirating sure wasn't heh. Pretty sure 14 year old me torrented that shit when it came out.

Orla, BradBradley and Jason Tate like this.
  25. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Album sales still very much exist for country artists