Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MxPx Release New Version of ‘Life in General’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

MxPx released a re-recorded version of Life in General over the weekend to celebrate the record’s 20th birthday (oh god I now feel very old). It looks like the mailing list giveaway is now over, but the new version is up on YouTube. “Doing Time” remains one of my favorite songs of all time.

2. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

I started listening to this last night. It sounds almost identical to the original so far, which seems like kind of a missed opportunity.

Having said that, I wish more bands did this. I think it would be cool for bands to go back to old songs and re-imagine them. For example, I would kill for Mark and Tom to re-record Dude Ranch with Travis. The versions of those songs from the Mark, Tom, & Travis show sounded so good.

3. Fox83

Trusted

I'm so deprived of MxPx these days that this is a pleasant surprise, but I don't really understand why a note-for-note rerecording (from what I've heard so far) was necessary. Whatever. I'll take it.

4. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

The production is better, and the playing feels a little tighter in parts, and Mike's voice has gotten better with age... So in that regard? I love the way it sounds. Though it is basically just the same as the original in every other way thus far.

Over the years, I've heard bands who re-recorded versions of older songs as a way to release a "Greatest Hits" record on their own... And those recordings always sound tired and forced. But this feels fresh.

And I suppose, if they didn't like the songs still they wouldn't have bothered with this and release it for free. Haha. I'm happy I was able to get my hands on this!

5. thecobrakais

Regular

how in the world did i miss this??? mxpx remains one of my favorite bands ever. and jason, i share your sentiments on doing time. if i could pinpoint one song that changed me, that is it.

6. Fox83

Trusted

So, is there no way to get a copy of this now?

7. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Not via the band's official site that I could find, but... It's on YouTube.

And a bit of creative Googling is usually my go-to for things like this.

Fox83 likes this.
  8. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Love these dudes, got to meet Mike in Dallas last year when he was just doing some podcast stuff hanging at South By So What. We talked for a good five minutes and couldn't be a more genuine person...

9. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I didnt know that's what this post was about or I woulda tried to get a copy...but I like Buffalo better so I'll survive...it do some of that creative googling...!

10. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

11. thecobrakais

Regular

12. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

No need to apologize for your opinion.

13. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Got excited when I saw it, until I read everybody saying it sounds nearly the same. I'll check it out anyway of course, that album carried one of my first moments with punk rock music - not really like fully 20 years ago, but it was the first MxPx album I bought :)

14. Sal Mastrocola

Making Music in Gatto Black

Such good memories with this album