Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Musician/Producer Steve Lacy Works Through His iPhone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

David Pierce, writing for Wired:

Lacy’s smartphone has been his personal studio since he first started making music. Even now, with all the equipment and access he could want, he still feels indelibly connected to something about making songs piece by piece on his phone. He’s also working this way to prove a point: that tools don’t really matter. He’s feeling a tension that’s been in the music industry since the Tascam 424 Portastudio made mobile recording easy in the 80s, and has come up time and again since then. He wants to remind people that the performance, the song, the feeling matter more than the gear you use to record it. If you want to make something, Lacy tells me, grab whatever you have and just make it. If it’s good, people will notice. Maybe even Kendrick Lamar.

2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Oh yeah, and he's 18.

skogsraet likes this.
  3. jorbjorb

7 rings

The iphone is a great writing tool.

4. theredline

Trusted Supporter

It might not matter what you use but it definitely matters how you use it...

5. defmytones

Regular

GarageBand for iOS is absolutely incredible in terms of what you can make on it. I've heard many stories from bands on tour using it for quick recording/jam sessions

6. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Prettyyy cool