Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Musical Theatre • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by FrenzalRob, Jun 22, 2017.

1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I hope that means good things! I’ve read the play but I’ve tried to avoid much info about this adaptation.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I knew nothing ahead of time but obviously they're incredible actors

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Stephanie J. Block just is Cher in Cher Show, it so could have veered into parody but it doesn't at all

4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I just saw it today, so now I can ask for your more detailed thoughts! I loved it but I think being familiar with the story helped. I was also front row so I could really see their subtle facial expressions and stuff that could have gotten lost easily farther back.

Also I got to meet Michael Shannon again which was a huge treat.

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

like a lot of others have said they're incredible actors but a show about a guy who won't leave a woman alone hasn't aged well exactly but they have great chemistry

6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Posted in The Americans thread about Keri but forgot to mention here that I thought Burn This was great. I think it and Frankie and Johnny worked really well as an almost intentional pairing to see in one weekend, although I didn’t plan that intentionally from a thematic aspect. Adam Driver is certainly the biggest and most commanding force in it, and I liked that everyone else was coming at the characters from a very different energy level to show just how MUCH Pale is to take as a person and how they were grieving in a more internal way. It wouldn’t have worked if everybody was frantic and booming to match him. I wouldn’t say that either play is the very best I’ve ever seen, but I had perfect seats and perfect experiences for both that pushed them super high in my mind.

7. omg this made me so happy

8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

My hotel was basically next door to this and I was bummed to not have time to try to rush it or something. I’ve only heard a few songs, but I love Ned Vizzini so much.

jordalsh likes this.
  9. i saw the show a few months ago and it was a blast, so much fun!

10. folks I'm seeing Hamilton in Philly in October

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Uuuuuuugh I’m jealous! I got so close to winning the in person lottery years ago and since then I haven’t even been able to see the touring versions. Definitely still on the bucket list.

12. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I still haven't even listened to Hamilton :teethsmile:

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Oh my God, Jonathan as Seymour and Christian as the Dentist is a flex

Groogz, EASheartsVinyl and quietwords like this.
  14. quietwords

So into all of that.

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I’m freaking out. I was already thinking about planning another trip for the fall, and this makes it an even higher priority. I hope it isn’t an instant sellout.

16. quietwords

My husband won the lottery for the Dear Evan Hansen tour in Boston for tomorrow night and I’m so excited. I imagine I’ll be crying 80% of the time.

Groogz and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

DEH ruled. Even if we missed Ben Platt by a day

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s one where the more I think about it the more problems I have, but boy did it destroy me when I saw it up close. Taylor was so good in the role.

19. quietwords

Yeah, I’ve heard it’s problematic at times. I’ve avoided most plot points and have only heard the “big” songs from the show.

20. quietwords

So, uh. I felt emotions during Dear Evan Hansen.
    The father's moment during You Will Be Found? Literally gasping for air in between the tears.
    And Evan's talk with his mom before her song in Act Two? Destroyed.

Groogz likes this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Vanessa Carlton was so good in Beautiful of course

Groogz likes this.
  22. John Lopiano Aug 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 13, 2019)
    John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

I saw Dear Evan Hansen over the weekend and it was just stunning. Listening to the soundtrack is one thing but seeing it live with the dialogue is a whole other thing. So Big/So Small hit me hard. And I was with my family too and my mom and sister were an absolute wreck, haha.

It was great too considering the cast just did a full change and most of the cast was making their Broadway debut. Alex Boniello was phenomenal as Connor obviously.

Groogz likes this.
  23. Groogz

Tranquilo Prestigious

Seeing this tonight. Really looking forward to it.

24. Groogz

Tranquilo Prestigious

Unfortunately Vanessa Carlton did not perform in Beautiful tonight, but her understudy was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed the show. So many songs I didn’t realize I knew beforehand.

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

David Parke likes this.