Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Musical Theatre • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by FrenzalRob, Jun 22, 2017.

1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Just saw Dear Evan Hansen and my heart hurts. So glad I got to be here with Taylor Trensch still in the role. I saw him in Spring Awakening way back when and tonight really brought me back to that moment, which was probably the most life-changing night of theatre I’ve ever seen. Got to meet him at the stage door and mention that so my night is made.

OhTheWater and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Surprised this is happening so quickly but I guess he'll be too old soon

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Very curious to see how that adaptation turns out.

Also I keep getting emails about Be More Chill on Broadway and I want to cry every single time.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen Dec 7, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 7, 2018)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

Clueless the musical was a blast
    All the songs are rewritten 90s songs which I was kinda worried about but it was fun
    Dove Cameron was great as Cher and everyone was good without just doing impressions of the movie
    Not all the iconic dialogue made it and there were some changes mainly with Christian but don't worry the Haitians speech and that's way harsh made it
    they also changed the time period to mid-late 90s, they reference South Park and The Spice Girls

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

6. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Was back in NYC last weekend.
    I won the Phantom of the Opera lottery and ended up with front row seats. Nothing I would’ve seen without winning the lottery, but it was an experience! Really enjoyed it.

Then got rush tickets for the Prom. I cried, several times. But it was a fun, feel good show, and I’d totally see it again.

Then I saw Sara Bareilles outside the Waitress theater while trying to get to a bar, so I said hello, lol.

A good weekend!

FrenzalRob and Groogz like this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Hell yeah

8. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

ACB8D168-BCBE-49A2-BED5-224FB3DBEA10.jpeg

9. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

10. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

It was as; if not more insane than you would think

Danny likes this.
  11. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Recently spent 9 days in NY with the girlfriend, really awesome time. Caught 8 shows - Waitress, Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, Mean Girls, Kinky Boots, The Prom, Once On This Island, The Band's Visit.

Loved them all sans Kinky Boots...while I loved the message of acceptance, found it very overhyped.

Also recently got cast in the Australian amateur premiere of 'American Idiot' in my city. Wooo!

SmithBerryCrunch and quietwords like this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

finally saw Waitress and Mean Girls

you could tell that Sara Bareilles wrote the music in Waitress in the way it was orchestrated, Joey McIntyre was charming but it was weird seeing him in a play with no dancing, and there were clearly so many people there to see him it was kinda funny

with Mean Girls it was a bit tough because that movie was so iconic and the musical definitely has a different feel, Janis was the only one who felt pretty much exactly the same but not in a bad way she sounded like Lizzy but had her own take, also Regina isn't as big a part
    I also know you can't do the entire book of the original and songs and have it a reasonable length, and there were enough lines from the original and every time Damien said one from the original everyone loved it
    I thought adapting it to smartphones and social media worked, even though there were times I could hear Tina Fey saying social media is dumb and not the cast
    it's very cool that I saw Taylor and Kate in this and Bring It On, even though Bring It On is more the plot of Bring It On All Or Nothing
    But everyone was good and the songs were all fun, my imagined song That's So Fetch would probably be way worse than what they did haha

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Saw the touring company of Rent in Philly. Really great show, my first time seeing it live

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Don’t know how I missed the news, but I’m freaking out about the Frankie and Johnny revival with Michael Shannon and Audra McDonald. Definitely going to make a special trip up for that and Burn This, maybe squeeze in another Network show when I do.

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

16. GBlades

Trusted

So I seen Matilda at the Edinburgh Playhouse and it was great! The kid actors are just so precious and the whole show was hilarious. I was skeptical because a few friends said they had to walk out during the intermission, which I just find rude but whatever. I was surprised by the turn out and reception and recommend it!

I also bought Lion King tickets for December at the same place and it might be my most anticipated musical ever.

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

[​IMG]

jordalsh and Danny like this.
  18. quietwords

I was pretty meh on JLP when it previewed in Boston. I’m in a vast minority however. Some good moments but overall the story tried to tackle SO many issues but doesn’t dive deeper into any of them. It’s all pretty surface level.

19. quietwords

Not exactly Musical Theater related but I'm going to see Ben Platt perform tomorrow night. Looking forward to it, though I'm sad he's not doing ant Dear Evan Hansen songs.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  20. quietwords

Update- the Ben Platt show was a damn delight and I still can't believe I got to be in the same room as that voice.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I wish I had gotten to see him as Evan, even if I personally have more connection to Taylor. That would have been something else.

Also it’s not musicals but since I don’t think we have a general theater thread, I have confirmed my trip to see Frankie and Johnny and Burn This! I’m freaking out.

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I saw Ben Platt too he was great

23. quietwords

Ughhh I want to see Burn This SO BAD. Again, just to be in the same room as Adam Driver and to watch him perform...would bring me such joy. Timing just doesn't work out, right now. Sad face.
    My buddy is the House Manager at that theater, I believe.

24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m more stoked to see Keri, but I love Adam a ton too. I just saw Joan Allen in December and I love that now I get to see the play that put her on the map.

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I saw Frankie and Johnny tonight it was something alright