Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Musical Theatre • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by FrenzalRob, Jun 22, 2017.

1. I actively avoided it because I enjoyed BoM so much going in without knowing ANYTHING so I thought it would have the same effect. Not really. I was distracted by Hamilton because of the similarities to In The Heights. I'll have to see Hamilton again. I literally never put the album on but I KNOW I am in the minority here.

2. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I try to go in without knowing anything, too. Only heard two dear even hansen songs so far, too.

3. quietwords

David Parke likes this.
  4. quietwords

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

How did I not realize how badly I needed this

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Jagged Little Pill with book by Diablo Cody is of course amazing

7. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Saw a performance of Oklahoma yesterday. Was decent. The stage it was performed on was cool. Very small and intimate and was in the center of the crowd.

8. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Got 9 days in NYC in December!

Booked Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, Once On This Island and Mean Girls.

AMPED.

Groogz, SmithBerryCrunch and Danny like this.
  9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Tony's on tonight

10. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Just flipped it on. I don’t know anything about the shows that are nominated haha. Still gonna watch though.

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Wow. That performance by Marjory Stoneman Douglas students. Amazing.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Screaming until November when I get to see this

13. quietwords

Caught Jagged Little Pill in previews here last month.
    Most of the cast was strong, and I liked what they did with the songs for the most part. Husband and I were in the minority, but we really did not like the character who sang "You Oughta Know." Their vocals and performance were just so lackluster to us. Yet they got a standing ovation for that song, so what do I know, haha
    The book however, needs work. They try to tackle every single social issue you can think of, but don't really dive into any of them.
    Curious to know what changes they will make once it (inevitably) goes to Broadway, but not enough to spend NYC $ on tickets.

14. Groogz

Tranquilo Prestigious

That is an amazing week+. Already seen DEH and ONTI and loved them both. Finally going to see Hamilton tonight!

15. quietwords

I performed at the same community theater Alex Newall used to in a small town in MA.
    It was just after the Glee reality show aired. He was at auditions/callbacks, and a few of the rehearsals.
    We had some small chat but he was a diva back then too, haha. Young person who was so excited about his experience- it's really cool to see his career grow.

16. Groogz

Tranquilo Prestigious

He was incredible in the show! "Mama Will Provide" steals the show. Was disappointed that he didn't get nominated for a Tony for his performance.

17. quietwords

Moulin Rouge has started previews here in Boston, and I'm sure will be Broadway-bound.
    Hearing mixed things so far. Friends have said Act One is a mess, and that Aaron Tveit and Karen Olivio have no chemistry.

Also, they apparently added Single Ladies and Shake it Off into the show? That immediately brought my interest level way down... Of course I'm still entering the daily lottery for discounted tickets haha

18. Well duh! I’m not better than a crappy broadway-bound production for cheap.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

There's also a mashup of We Are Young and Royals apparently, will probably see it on Broadway

20. quietwords

So I won the Moulin Rouge lottery last weekend. Mini review without giving anything away:
    I’m glad we were able to see the show, especially for such a discounted price. A woman heading into our same section paid $158 for what we paid $35 for. Come on now.
    The show was enjoyable. It’s a light, puff piece. None of the songs are going to be stuck with you for long but you will enjoy most of them while they’re happening.
    The sets are stunning, and will be what you should be talking about. Like- absolutely gorgeous.
    Aaron Tveit is charming as hell and his voice outshines everyone’s. I was so glad to be able to see him live.
    Karen Olivo was very much a weak link, and miscast. Her belt was okay, but her upper register was bad. Her harmonies with Aaron were almost always off. Very strange.
    Direction is lacking- just about every solo was sung center stage. Switch it up!
    Choreography is hit and miss, but the Act Two opening was fantastic.
    Overall, I enjoyed it. I don't think it will be on Broadway very long, but think it will kill it in tours, or even a Vegas residency.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen Jul 29, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 29, 2018)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

Head Over Heels is very fun
    with jukebox musicals obviously some songs fit better into the plot than others, but it can also be good knowing some of the songs ahead of time I find
    Peppermint was great and it was cool seeing a trans woman play a NB character
    Gwyneth Paltrow being a producer and Goop being mentioned in the Playbill was something
    the fact that I got 3rd row balcony seats day of makes me think I might be right that this is too niche and isn't gonna be a huge hit on Broadway, but hopefully it finds its place

it seems like every musical is a jukebox musical or based on a movie now which is cool I guess but hopefully original plays aren't being shafted

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  22. quietwords

Husband and I impulse purchased tickets to Spongebob for tomorrow night. Nothing like an unexpected weekend in NYC, right? My anxiety about it has been through the roof, but... I'm still excited to see the show before it closes.

Also already entered the lotteries for Springsteen, Frozen, and Meangirls for Saturday, and definitely plan on entering the Dear Evan Hanson lottery as soon as it opens.

23. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

24. quietwords

We ended up seeing three shows last weekend.

Spongebob was absolutely delightful. I loved it so much more than I thought I would.

We entered every lottery possible, and only won Summer- the Donna Summer musical. It was fine. Talented cast but nothing I would've ever seen had we not won tickets.

We ended up getting super discounted tickets to Once on this Island at the box office. I didn't know the show before seeing it, other than Alex Newell was in it. Our paths crossed a few times through the community theater circuit here in MA.
    But wow, what a show. I was in tears by the end it was so beautiful.

My wallet is still recovering from the trip, but it was so worth it.

David Parke likes this.