Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Musical Theatre

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by FrenzalRob, Jun 22, 2017.

1. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Fuck it, risky thread, I think...

But, anyone?

Shows you've seen? Loved? Hated? Been involved in? Wanna see? Soundtracks you like?

I'm a huge fan, and get involved as much as I can where I live, just seeing if anyone else was into it.

Jealous of anyone who's seen Hamilton, or Avenue Q (professionally).

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I was thinking of making this or a general theatre thread too!

I actually have seen Hamilton and Avenue q professionally haha

Favorites - Grease, Little Shop Of Horrors, Hedwig And The Angry Itch

3. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Glad there's finally a thread for this!

Favorites include American Idiot, Next to Normal, Spring Awakening, Once, Avenue Q, Company.. Would need to wrack my brain for more, haha.

I do community theater. Have done American Idiot (Tunny), Next to Normal (Gabe), Spring Awakening (Ernst), Les Miz (Feuilly), Avenue Q (Bad Idea Bear). I can also be found on the Official Cast Recording of the Texas Chainsaw Musical, hahaha.

FrenzalRob likes this.
  4. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Nice!

I've got an extensive list of favourites too. (Chess/Avenue Q/Book Of Mormon/West Side Story/etc. + heaps more)

Yeah, I do community in my area as well. Currently in rehearsals for West Side Story, playing Action. So much fun.

quietwords likes this.
  5. quietwords

Congrats! I'm taking a break until after our wedding (October). There are auditions for a production of Tommy the week of our wedding- will probably be auditioning for it.

FrenzalRob likes this.
  6. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

My girlfriend has recently gotten me into musicals. We saw Lion King last year (my first musical). Saw The Nutcracker around Christmas which I wasn't a huge fan of. Caught Book of Mormon earlier this year which was phenomenal.

We just got back from a trip to NYC and we caught Waitress (pretty good) and Come From Away (fantastic). I really want to see Dear Evan Hansen.

FrenzalRob likes this.
  7. quietwords

Oh, Waitress. It's flawed, but Jessie Mueller's performance was a masterclass in acting. We saw it when it was workshopped in Boston, four rows from the stage. Watching her perform She Used to Be Mine was unforgettable. Top theater moment for me.

Watched a clip of Betsy Wolfe (actress in the role at the moment), and I just think she is miscast. Heard it is closing in September.

8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Betsy Wolfe's performance, but her acting didn't quite hit the mark for me. There was just something a little off with her performance.

9. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

All I know from 'Waitress' is A Soft Place To Land. Not big on that song, but I've heard in the context of the show it's incredible. Hopefully taking my better half to NYC at the end of next year. We wanna catch Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, Waitress, Come From Away...and I guess whatever else may be on at the time.

10. quietwords

She Used to Be Mine from Waitress is the absolute highlight. Some misses in the show, for sure.

Fiance and I are hoping to get DEH tickets with some of the cash we get from our wedding in the fall.

FrenzalRob likes this.
  11. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

seeing Grease this week. seen it a few times, but my mom had extra tickets, and it's a dinner theater, so why not?

12. quietwords

Tried winning Wicked tickets while it was in Boston but failed. I've never seen it, or even listened to it :teethsmile:Been too long since we've seen a professional production of a show- need to change that soon!

FrenzalRob likes this.
  13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Waitress was a fun show. Seeing Dear Evan Hansen in August

FrenzalRob likes this.
  14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Super jealous. The music for DEH is great. Especially the first two tracks.

15. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Ugghhhhh. Hate that show, haha. Freddy My Love is a great song, and so is Those Magic Changes...but the rest of it, eh. It always sells tickets though, and every amateur version of it here gets so many auditionees.

16. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

It's cool. Visually it's great, but for me, overrated. Dancing Through Life and As Long As You're Mine are the two best songs IMO.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Dear Evan Hansen was great. Unfortunately did not get to see B*n Pl*tt's silly ass on account of him being on vacation, but the kid who filled in for him was really good. Special show, wish everyone got a chance to see it

iCarly Rae Jepsen and FrenzalRob like this.
  18. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Nice! I love the opening song, and Disappear.

You Will Be Found seems kinda preachy, but I guess I'll have to see it in context.

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The message was a lot to chew on regarding the various themes of the play. I wouldn't call any part of it "preachy" necessarily, and the song was certainly used effectively in the show. If anything, the way it handles suicide is super messy, but I think that's the intention of the play. I appreciated how critical it was of grief hawks and never really painted anyone as purely "right" or "wrong"

FrenzalRob likes this.
  20. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Yeah, I'm still excited to see it eventually! I'm sure in context, I'll love it.

21. quietwords

For those who have seen Dear Evan Hansen: My fiance and I were thinking of using Only Us as our first dance song. However, we have not seen the show or listened to the rest of it, haha. Good/bad idea to use that song?

22. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I was just going to come in here to say how good the DEH soundtrack is. I've been listening to it a lot lately.

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hahha I mean it's a relatively unhappy ending but that song is pretty by itself

24. quietwords

Argh, I'm trying to go into the show knowing as little as possible, so I can't click the spoiler tag!
    I'm figured the song is good by itself, but I don't want those who know the show to be thinking "uhhh..." when they hear it, haha.

We actually might use the Sara B./Jason Mraz version of "You Matter to Me" from Waitress.

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum