Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Music from Japan • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Chocobo, Apr 1, 2016.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I know I listen to different kinds of Japanese music than most here, but here are some songs that came out this year that I have on heavy rotation:

Crisp X likes this.
  2. I guess, just like the K-Pop thread, it's depressing that this one doesn't have the traction it used to back in the ap.net days.

I've been meaning to check out RIRI for years, I should finally do it as that single is exactly my catnip. The YonYon EP has been on my list as well, I've heard good things about her lately.

Personally, I'm currently enamored by Aimer's new album. I don't know how she remains consistent quality wise without having any kind of long breaks inbetween albums. I don't know if something's wrong with Spotify, but many of the tracks appear as grayed out for me.

Also, I recently realized one of my favorite bands, Passepied, had released a new album... in December. Such a weird month to drop something, no wonder I missed it lol.

Otherwise, I've been continuing my deep dive into 80s stuff, with some artists who started out as citypop centric then moved onto other things. Not gonna lie, some of their discographies have been hard to track down.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  3. The Lucky Moose Apr 17, 2021
    (Last edited: Apr 17, 2021)
    The Lucky Moose

A while ago I have read that Mariya Takeuchi’s “Miss M” album was recorded in L.A. and that the band was partly comprised of Toto members. Been meaning to track that album down ever since.

I feel you though, it’s a pain to get a hold of Japanese music. Once I make it to Japan I’ll have to bring an extra suitcase for CDs and records.

EDIT: I can’t read the text obviously but this page has some amazing pictures from the “Miss M” sessions.

竹内まりや『Miss M』LAレコーディングこぼれ話。|中島 睦~Mutsumu Nakajima~|note

Crisp X likes this.
  4. andychan

any official hige dandism fans here

5. Chocobo

Regular

I honestly only know that Pretender song from them. But wow, they seem to have 5 albums on spotify.

popo likes this.
  6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Started listening to CHAI today. This album is so so so good. It sounds like so many different things that I can't even place it lol

Frinet42, Orla and Crisp X like this.
  7. Crisp X Sep 21, 2021
    (Last edited: Sep 21, 2021)
    Perfume's new EP is out and they've been on quite a hot streak for the past two years. Between this and Capsule's new material, I feel like we're witnessing a creative resurgence from Yasutaka.

A bit sad that it means we're probably going to wait a while before we finally get an album, but hopefully it stays in that lane.

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

New song is fucking wild.

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Stoked this is finally out. Feels like I've been waiting forever. lol

Crisp X likes this.
  10. Hip-hop/pop hybrid idol group Lyrical School's new album is out, I'm excited to dive in.

For starters, I strongly recommend their latest.

11. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I know they will come up as more mainstream j-pop/rock but I’ve been on a huge supercell kick lately.

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This is fun as fuck.

And this is my AOTY so far.

SpyKi likes this.
  13. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Been listening to the forbidden PUFFY album since the end of April. It's completely screwed up my intended listening rotation.

Really think this duo could have seen more mainstream success in the US if there was a pivot away from the partnership with warner bros.

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This album is really pretty

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  15. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I’ve been heavy into Maika Loubté (synth-pop/ dance-pop) for the past year or so.

16. username

hey you lil piss baby

17. The Lucky Moose

I listened to this like four times since yesterday and this might legit be my favorite album of the year. It makes me feel so good. Thanks man. I really needed this.

incognitojones and Henry like this.
  18. Crisp X Jul 27, 2022
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2022)

Their best album in a decade. I'm so pleased with this after having some gripes with the last couple albums.

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Well this has me excited. Though I have adored every album.

20. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

yes new perfume is def one of their most consistent records. so pleased. second half really opens up into some driving down the cyber highway into the neon transhuman future vibes

Crisp X and SpyKi like this.
  21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

On first listen I didn't love it. Didn't feel like it had any of the hooks I've grown accustomed to. Will definitely be giving it a lot more plays tho.

22. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

this song rules

Crisp X likes this.
  23. Happy to hear Arukara are still going strong 10 albums into their career.

24. I still haven't spent enough time with the last couple so a discography run is in order first, but I'm excited to check this out as usual. They're really rivaling tricot and Boris as the most prolific bands.

popo likes this.
  25. YES

JamesMichael likes this.