Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Music Forum General Chat Thread • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Marx&Recreation, Aug 23, 2021.

1. cherrywaves

Trusted

She fuckin hates meeeee

phaynes12 likes this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

^my #1 least favorite song of all time

phaynes12, irthesteve and cherrywaves like this.
  3. cherrywaves

Trusted

I’ve always felt that the super macho type gravitated more toward buttrock over nu-metal, but there’s undoubtedly some overlap.

phaynes12 and cshadows2887 like this.
  4. cshadows2887

I feel like it’s hard to split those hairs. And if you do, there are only like 15 Nu Metal bands that ever existed. Like was Nickelback Nu Metal? Or did they just tour with the same bands and have singles in rotation on the same stations and sit right alongside those bands on fans’ CD shelves. Kind of an academic distinction to me, I think.

5. cshadows2887

If the Stones have to keep going without Charlie, they could not have made a better pick than Steve Jordan.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  6. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I’ve never once associated Nickelback with nu-metal…they are decidedly post-grunge

I think of nu-metal as being far more embracing of (1) metal, (2), hip-hop, or (3) both. If a band didn’t notably incorporate either of those sounds into their music then I wouldn’t really consider them nu-metal

But yeah nu-metal and post-grunge basically catered to the same type of crowd

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  7. tomdelonge

Trusted

Nu-metal, cock/butt-rock, and post-grunge are meaningfully different sub-flavors of rage music.

Are any of them more violent than metal metal?

Wharf Rat likes this.
  8. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

It's actually kind of insane that Keith and Mick are the only core 60s stones still kicking lol everyone made that observation i guess but its nuts. Keith Richards is proof that if you're rich its actually not that big of a deal to do heroin

9. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

10. The Lucky Moose Aug 31, 2021
    (Last edited: Sep 1, 2021)
    The Lucky Moose

I did not know them before I listened to the new album, which I did because people kept name dropping it in the Kanye thread. As a complete outsider I say it’s definitely nu-metal lol This was my first take in fact:

11. The Lucky Moose Aug 31, 2021
    The Lucky Moose

Definitely. It’s not a coincidence that DMX (and a little later Eminem) was arguably the biggest rapper on the planet around that same time as some of nu-metal’s commercial heights. Both nu-metal and “that kind of rap” (not as easy to classify) where as much products of their time and environments as they helped shape them.

12. The Lucky Moose Sep 1, 2021
    The Lucky Moose

Also, I think nu-metals embrace of Hip Hop deserves some credit that many refuse to give it. Although often (but not always) sonically awkward, it was certainly overall better than the very problematic anti-Hip Hop posturing and sentiment that was still so common then in a lot of rock music.

Also, one of the reasons is got so big because in that specific way it also mirrored what a lot of actual young people (rather than the somewhat to very older rock bands that tried to cater to them) around the world were actually doing already. It wasn’t just the rage or whatever else that genre came with.

That being said, I never really could get into anything that resembled metal too much (aside from some Sabbath), Hip Hop influences or not.

cherrywaves and irthesteve like this.
  13. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Please go see the roots if you have the chance. Just an awesome awesome show. True performers.

irthesteve likes this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

I once saw them as an opener for huge rock band in a giant soccer stadium. Probably around 2003. It was terrible. But I am 100% sure that it wasn't their fault lol

15. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Do they still do shows outside of misc festivals? Idk how many Fallon shows they do each year, but I figure even a “long” break for that show isn’t that long to have a full-fledged tour

16. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Yeah they’re on a small tour now. Saw them in Pittsburgh.

17. Wharf Rat

I saw them with Nas at Boston Calling that year but nas did like 5 tracks and then it was a Roots show

18. The Lucky Moose

I saw two real Nas shows. He was great.

19. The Lucky Moose

I'm listening to full Rolling Stones albums for the first time in earnest. That is all for now.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

wow

21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

also how

22. tomdelonge

Trusted

And how did it go?

23. The Lucky Moose Sep 4, 2021
    (Last edited: Sep 4, 2021)
    The Lucky Moose

I mean, I feel like I heard all of these songs so far before, but I just never consciously put on one of their albums. It’s really not what I grew up with. My dad was a fan, but by the time I came around, all he listened to was soul and classical music. When it became time to find stuff by myself, “classic rock” is really not the direction I went in, as you might have guessed based on my posting history.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  24. The Lucky Moose

I like Sticky Fingers quite a lot.

25. Wharf Rat

Sticky Fingers and Exile are the ones I go back to regularly

Collins and The Lucky Moose like this.