Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Music Forum General Chat Thread (I) [ARCHIVED] • Page 22

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I am the only person on here who doesn't make playlists at all? I honestly just would like to know. I feel like I'm in the minority.

2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I very rarely make them and it I do they never turn out the way I imagined

3. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah I never make playlists. I only really listen to albums in full or if I'm playing music at a party or something I pick each song on the spot rather than putting a playlist on shuffle

4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I don't really make like, meticulous, track by track, playlists anymore. but I do put together one every few months of the albums I'm really into/want to dig in to.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  5. lina555

Regular

So and I make playlists. I think it`s convenient for different cases. For example when I run I listen my playlist for run and when I go to sleep I listen my playlist for sleep))

6. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

I make playlists that I download on my phone maybe once every three weeks of the music I listen to while walking. Sometimes I make track by track, really in depth ones but it's usually just for fun and I'll listen to them once and never again.

Also is there a thread for classic albums/artists you've just discovered? I am just now hearing the greatness that is Talking Heads.

Youarcade likes this.
  7. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Going through a rough period reconciling heavy genres. Was hoping to get input. For 13 years all I've known is the scene(mainly heavy), and now I doubt myself. Genres aren't dead, we still obviously have rap, electronic, metal. But are sub-genres dead? This was launched by the dubbing of Every Time I Die and Norma Jean as metalcore. I thought it over, and now this "expert" is lost. ETID sounds like no other music(except Last Night in Town), they are melodic southern party-metal, with to die for lyrics. Parkway Drive is unmistakably metalcore. But ETID? Now, Norma Jean. Since Redeemer, maybe earlier, they have been playing with beautiful melodies and Cory was one of the first singers in the scene to popularize the vocal style of "sing screaming" I guess. Now everyone does it. BUT, listening to the gorgeous Meridional, you cannot classify "Falling From the Sky: Day 7", "High Noise, Low Output", or "Distance to Planets" as metalcore. Norma Jean since the arrival of Cory is again infused with southern metal elements, hardcore, post-hardcore, alternative rock, and even some emo. Or look at Issues. Like em or not, they border on uncategorizable. Rap, djent, soul, metalcore, punk, nu metal, funk, electronic...it's crazy! CAN WE PLEASE GET A DISCUSSION GOING ABOUT EXAMINING HEAVY GENRES IN DEPTH, PLEASE??? I'm not some n00b, I've listened to every band from Sick of it All to Design the Skyline. But I'm having a genre overload panic attack. So much misinformation. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO STOP OBSESSING ON THIS?

8. The Lucky Moose

@ConArdist I don't know shit about heavy music but sub genres have also become less relevant in the rap music discourse because the internet and modern music distribution models are, to a certain exten, killing regionally specific sounds (and rap genres have often been a regional thing, though certainly not exclusively), especially in the more mainstream parts of the genre. That doesn't mean sub genres aren't a thing at all though. Micro genres, although often short lived, are increasingly a thing though I think, which is interesting.

9. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Thanks for responding, some cool thoughts. Both rap and hardcore punk were extremely regional. Post-hardcore was founded in D.C., Grunge in Seattle, even Colorado had an influential punk scene. I was into rap long before heavy shit, and like you said they had southern rap, midwest rap, we've got that microgenre emo rap that grew out of midwest rap, west-coast, east-coast. It makes sense, back then exposure to music was through socialization. Now I discover music at festivals or online. All my friends hate metal and hardcore. This is Colorado, it's EDM and country central. We're basically Ibiza.:scream:So genres lack local exclusivity these days, leading to oversaturation. I didn't know WTF a Marshmello was until all my pals were going to his SOLD OUT show at Red Rocks. Ugh.

10. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I'm a professional musician who produces dance music, and makes solid dough. Hard time getting shows though, I sell a lot online. But I don't listen to dance music or really like it, I'm a sell out. I would rather scream in kids' faces at a sweaty basement gig than make $100 million as a producer. And I KNOW I make better music than Marshmello, I conducted a blind test, tricking the participants. Most greatly preferred mine. Eff the music world these days.

11. The Lucky Moose

I think you probably aren't the only person that successfully makes current Dance that feels that way. Thanks for sharing.

12. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

Playing an album from start to finish was my way to go till I got into Spotify.. I have "Best of" playlists for all my fav. bands, some of them I have more than one playlist for example Muse - Best Of / Muse - Slow Ones / Muse - Underrated Ones. First list is handy to have for a friend who wants to get into this band. Slow ones = when I feel like shit or sleepy.. Underrated Ones is actually my personal favs minus the overplayed to death songs (No more Hysteria, Time is Running Out or Knights of Cydonia hah) So yeah.. I love playlists even tho I'm not sure if my way counts as a "playlist", playlists suppose to have various artists in right?

13. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

For sure not, deadmau5 is so disillusioned w/ the genre. I heard d00ds at a party a ways back giving Aphex Twin crap for no bass drop in Windowlicker. Kill me now.

14. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Some days when I'm driving home from work, I feel super burnt out and low, like I can't find my place in life. Then I think 'thank god for music.'

Collins likes this.
  15. jorbjorb

7 rings

I've been trying to make a summer playlist for like two months now. I think I just prefer listening to an album front to back.

Lastsliceofpizza likes this.
  16. Grass

This new Thomas Wynn will make your soul happy :)

17. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

When I visited my girlfriend's family her little brother played this song at least ten times in his room and it was the cringiest shit ever

18. timcsheehan

Regular

OK so I'm having a problem with iTunes/Apple Music. I have an album that I bought thats not on itunes store/apple music. I have iCloud music library sync turned on, but when I try to add this album it says the itunes store doesn't recognize your library.

Any way to get this album to sync so it shows up in Apple Music on my phone?

19. JxP

Poster Boys for Bad Luck

No idea. Apple is pretty shit as far as improting files go nowadays. I use an app called MusiCloud to put all my music files on my phone.

skogsraet likes this.
  20. Caegan Smith

CaeganEra

Oh god. I'm not trying to start an all out iOS vs android war here but man I really don't miss those Apple struggles now that i'm using my Galaxy full time. I just chuck all my music on an SD card and go.

21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Am I crazy or is there no thread for Death Cab for Cutie OR Ben Gibbard???

23. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

25. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I miss this band so much.

coleslawed likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.