Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Music and growing older... • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kristen, Mar 31, 2016.

1. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

Yup.. its more a time issue now, just not enough with a full-time job/responsibilities to research for new bands like i could in my early 20's and prior.

2. muttley Apr 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 1, 2016)
    muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Picked up a pair of the Earasers. Excited to see how well they work.

Aaand they ruled.

3. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

This is the same as me. I'm turning 30 this month and going to shows is more of a time issue for me.

4. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

For the longest time (maybe until a year or two ago) I was always constantly searching for new, different bands allll the time. Since I lost my iPod and my laptop has been just really old and slow I've been a little disconnected. I still check things out from time to time but it's just kind of shameful, new music was something that always cheered me up when taking the train or bus ride to school. It really kept my mood up and my mind entertained for so long. I just feel disgusting atm. Especially since I've always wanted to be an A & R for most of my life (not that it'll ever happen), I'm just very disappointed in myself.

The one upside is things in my life are actually working out for once, surprisingly. Other than that, it's a bummer. I hardly go to shows anymore because my friends are old, lazy or broke and I can't find new ones that like the music I like. I used to go to shows alone but I just got sick of it, on top of that livenation service charges are through the roof and I can't always shlep to the venue to get the tickets. The 15 year old who starved himself to save his lunch money for shows and merch would be really mad at the current me right now.

:worried::tear:

5. Timmy Sampana

I never found love in the city Prestigious

Glad I found the old people thread. lol. Just turned 30 a couple of months ago. Maybe go to a show every 2-3 months now, which like everyone else said, is a pretty big decline while in my older teens and younger 20's. I definitely don't listen to as much music as I used to, but I still try to keep up.

6. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I didn't read through the whole thread, but I just wanted to say that this is something that I think about a lot. Most of the older adults I know (think 40 and up) really have no interest in discovering new music, and that makes me sad.

Collin Skeen and Whatjuliansaid like this.
  7. The Mysterious Apr 2, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 3, 2016)
    The Mysterious

Yes...but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts

My madre is a rare exception...she's introduced me and been actively listening to bands like Underoath, Moving Mountains, and Thrice for years now. Got lucky with her, a rare exception though. You're definitely right.

Collin Skeen and ChrisCantWrite like this.
  8. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

My parents love Coheed. I grin so hard when I visit and that's what they're jamming to.

muttley and Collin Skeen like this.
  9. Collin Skeen

Regular

I think your parents are great examples to live by. They sound pretty awesome. :)

10. jessem491

I'm Casey's Dad damnit!

I'm 52... no joke. I started listening to music really young (Beatles) and continued through the 70s and 80s, but then lost track for a bit in the late 90s. I rediscovered it again in 2006 and have been hitting shows and buying vinyl again ever since.

ChiliTacos and Collin Skeen like this.
  11. mouood

ever seen a guy say goodbye to a shoe? Prestigious

Turning 30 in a couple weeks (gahhhhhh). I go to maybe 1-2 shows per month? That's not very different than from when I was younger. I'll even still get there really early to be up front if it's one of my favorite bands. Living in the city makes all this a lot easier, though. Probably wouldn't be the case at all if I was living in the suburbs.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  12. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like it's an old person thing to use PTO to go to shows. FUCK IT.

Collin Skeen and muttley like this.
  13. muttley

Working early in the morning helps with that. Only downside is you are really tired when you go in.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  14. marsvoltamcr

Trusted

25 here. As far as the amount of shows I attend every year, it's been pretty consistent since I was 18 or so. Usually 10 or so a year. And as far as getting too old for shows, I can't see that happening. My dad used to take me along to shows from the time I was 10 years old and he still goes to quite a few himself. I don't see that being much different in my case. My dad is pretty much equal parts Deadhead and 80s Punk Rocker, which are two music scenes that tend to embrace their old heads.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I rarely attend shows cause I live far from the city. I'm like a 23 year old trapped in a 80 year old's body tho. I got tired of standing around when I was like 18. Best show was Rufus Wainwright where there were no openers to pretend to care about and it was seated. Show got out by 930pm, it was amazing. My dad is 43 and still attends metal and punk shows on the reg. I don't think it's that unusual

16. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I may move to overnights soon so I can sleep- go to event-go to work

17. muttley

That doesn't sound too bad. I used to go to work at 7am and it was pretty great for going out the night before.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  18. HalfHearted

Regular

Just turned 33 in March. The only shows I go to anymore are either bands that don't come to my area often, or I travel to "specialty shows" if you will. Just went to Philly to see Less Than Jake play Hello Rockview. Other than that, I go to Fest in Florida every year and that seems to be enough for me. Shows aren't as fun as they used to be when I was growing up for some reason. Plus, not many of my friends listen to the same music as I do, girlfriend included, which kind of takes the fun out of it.

19. Kristen

Regular

:crylaugh: pretty much. I'm taking 3 days off in May to see all of the PVRIS shows in Texas and that's basically what I said when justifying my reasons to do so to myself..."fuck it, just do it"

Collin Skeen likes this.
  20. Collin Skeen

Regular

YES! my girlfriend and I (I'm a teacher and she's a senior in college) just drove from KY to Arizona to see Limbeck a few weeks ago and it was one of the best experiences of my life. you've gotta follow your heart when it comes to things like that.

21. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I will only have 5 days left between June 1 and Dec 31. OOPS. Oh well. WORTH IT.

My employer does not let us carry it over so I'm gonna use it.

22. Kristen

Regular

Mine will probably end up being unpaid time off since I've only been there since November but I really could care less. I'm not going to let an 8-5 stop me from being adventurous and doing things I want. Life is too short to let work consume us especially when it's not something you are passionate about

23. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I don't go to shows as much anymore. Not anywhere near as interested as I was two years ago, but that coincided with my increasing disinterest in music in general.

24. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

I mean, I've only been to a dozen or shows in my life, but is it reasonable to say the age of the audience is often reflected in the ages of the performers? Aside from the maybe stuff like mainstream pop and hip-hop which have a lot of age diversity at shows. At the Disclosure show everyone was mostly early 20's, late teens from what I could tell. But often times if I go to see a band I loved growing up in the 90's, or a band from the 80's I like you'll see more post-30 audience members. When I saw Sigur Ros, Massive Attack and MBV everyone seemed to mostly around late 20's- late 30's.

25. Eric

Regular

This is funny because my local scene seems to be filled with mostly teenage girls. I hardly go to local shows anymore because most of the bands are young and shitty but the crowd is usually pretty annoying as well

Collin Skeen likes this.