Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mulan (Niki Caro, July 24, 2020) Movie • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Nov 29, 2017.

1. subscribing to D+ is a bargain if only for the entire Simpsons series

soggytime, Cameron and Sean Murphy like this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I don't have Disney+, but my brother & his family do, as does my sister. I'll probably try to chip in & convince 'em to make it a family occasion, lol. (Either that or hope it ends up in some drive-ins around the same time.) I'd be pretty happy with this being the one big Disney blockbuster I see this year.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I don’t have a problem with $30 to rent a brand new movie (the Tenet thread sees me say this twice a week). But to make people pay a subscription fee just for the opportunity to spend more money on a movie does not sit well with me.

RyanPm40 and imthesheriff like this.
  4. Morrissey

Trusted

Is Mulan something people are even excited for? If you are already paying for Disney+, and you know that the movie will be part of the regular service in a few months, why wouldn't you wait? You have one of the most extensive film libraries in the world as part of your service already.

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’d say there’s a considerable amount of people excited for Mulan. Even the lead actress being a CCP supporter hasn’t seemed to halt the hype.

GrantCloud likes this.
  6. Tim

I honestly can't tell if people are macro scale excited for Mulan. Twitter doesn't look particularly excited (lots of dweebs upset about no Mushu, lol), but we all know that's not indicative of real life. That cosplay-looking Aladdin & ugly-looking Lion King were big hits, so who knows? Especially when there really hasn't been a wide blockbuster like this since winter.

As for the waiting thing... One, people always have the ability to wait until Redbox, or Netflix/Disney+/HBOMax, etc., so I feel like that somewhat describes the movie industry as a whole. Two, like I said, nothing like this released in forever. Probably lots of family households, or people in more expensive (also likely to be more locked down) markets, etc., who'll be happy to do this. The family I live with rented Trolls: World Tour, & has watched Hamilton multiple times since it hit Disney+, & we live in the western PA rust belt... I haven't asked 'em if that extra $10 will keep 'em from renting this, but it's not unreasonable to think this would be worth it for a movie night w/ the kids & their neighbor friend.

7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

RyanPm40 likes this.
  8. Sean Murphy Aug 5, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 5, 2020)
    Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

bingo.

no movie theater in the metro NY area (or maybe even the state as a whole if Cuomo has his say) is going to be open in 2020, probably not in Q1 2021 either - so this would be my only way to be able to see this, and like i said before and as you noted - where I live aint cheap. This will actually save me money over a trip to the theater lol

Tim likes this.
  9. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

this also isn't a bad deal. most new release disney blu-rays nowadays are in the $24.99-$29.99 price range anyway. Yes, you could buy the digital on apple for $19.99, but this pricing more and more seems less and less outrageous, i just think people are too quick to "disney evil, evil disney, bad disney" every announcement they make.

coleslawed, Tim and justin. like this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

$30 to always have it sounds a lot better than $30 to view it for 24 hours.

atticusfinch likes this.
  11. GBlades

Trusted

I mean, I agree that £30 is too much for a single viewing but it's still a lot less than id spend at the cinema AND now that's its for all time use it means I don't have to by the blu-ray for my gf which is normally £15 anyway. I can see the logic on both sides.

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Can't wait to download this for nothing

13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

What happens if you stop subscribing though?

Does this mean if you don’t buy it you won’t be able to watch it on Disney+ ever?

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It will probably be viewable with just a subscription within a few months.

15. Tim

In all fairness, I do think Disney is evil, lol, & wish more people online thought so. But, yeah, this particular strategy in this particular context makes a lot of sense to me.

Sean Murphy likes this.
  16. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Having it as long as your subscription lasts isn't the same as owning it. Better than a 48 hour rental thoughi guess

awakeohsleeper and I Am Mick like this.
  17. Morrissey

Trusted

The problem with comparing the cost of this to a theater is that Disney gets 100 percent of the sale, while they would normally have to split it with a theater. It is a problem with streaming and digital sales in general; they cut out the middleman and make more money but none of those savings are passed down to the consumer.

RyanPm40 and Victor Eremita like this.
  18. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I’ll just wait six months or whatever for it to be a part of Disney+ for streaming.

19. Morrissey

Trusted

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

yet he left the tenet poster as it is!!!

coleslawed likes this.
  21. Morrissey

Trusted

I am sure Tenet is next if they go VOD as well.

22. Tim

The funniest thing about that tweet is imagining Martin Scorsese in a theater watching Mulan, muttering to himself, "now this is cinema."

Cameron and justin. like this.
  23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’d like to know his reasoning. Is he upset at Disney? Does he not like that Yifu is a CCP supporter? Is he just following a script?

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. Morrissey

Trusted

I assumed he was a theater owner who was mad that they just lost what was expected to be a major draw.

25. Tim

Wait, are we having serious discourse around that tweet? My impression was that it was largely for "the lulz" or whatever.

I think it's weird for anyone to be mad at one of Disney's live action remakes going to a VOD model in the midst of a pandemic. Especially when it's a common criticism of Disney that they push smaller films out of theaters with their steady stream of screen-dominating blockbusters.

I get that a lot of this VOD stuff could be scary for theaters, & I also get that Disney's decision here is totally driven by bottom line, not safety (see: Disney World reopening). But, like, there's a pandemic going around that the US has macro scale done shit to contain. Mulan being available to rent/buy/stream/whatever isn't gonna be the basis of if theaters survive "these difficult times."

I mean, hey, at least you're still (so far) gonna get New Mutants this month & maybe Tenet next month (if you're in a market that can open)!