Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MTV to Bring Back TRL

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

MTV will be bringing back TRL while they attempt to stay relevant:

Then in October, MTV will unveil the revival of “TRL.” The original iteration — which featured a countdown of music videos, a studio audience and frequent appearances from star musicians — was, in a way, a throwback itself, an updated version of “American Bandstand.”

The newer version of “TRL” will initially run an hour a day, and Mr. McCarthy said that might grow to two to three hours a day as the show developed. (There will also be unique daily content for Instagram, Snapchat and other social media channels.)

I remember watching TRL when I was younger. I watched it because there was a chance Blink-182, New Found Glory, or Sum 41 would make it onto the countdown and I’d get to see thirty seconds of their video. One of the main reasons I started AbsolutePunk.net was so that I could catalog music videos for bands I loved in a place where everyone could find them easily. Thankfully, YouTube ended up doing all that way better than I could have ever dreamed.

What TRL did well was become a destination for any artist starting their album cycle. If you wanted a shot at breaking out, you had to appear on the show and do an interview/video debut/live performance. This worked great when MTV was one of the only gatekeepers for the music industry. New album information for a select group of artists could break on TRL. Now, with access to more video (and news) content for bands than I could ever consume in a lifetime on the internet, I wonder what the hook will be for TRL that makes it worth watching. As someone that barely watches any live TV, I’m skeptical about the demand for these kinds of shows. Finding the small communities, video channels, and/or podcasts that are tailored to your specific listening habits just seems more interesting to me.

Raku likes this.
  2. aniafc

Trusted

I don't see this doing well in 2017. People have so many ways to watch the videos they want whenever and wherever they want.

Raku, Mr. Serotonin and skogsraet like this.
  3. ARo24

Regular

They cancelled it because no one was watching. What makes them think people are going to watch now? Plus no Carson fuck that haha.

Raku likes this.
  4. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

Not ashamed to say I watched this show religiously when I was younger, for the reasons Jason mentioned above - the chance to catch a short clip of a music video from a band I loved. It always made me feel cool that a band I liked landed on the top 10.

It’s so hard to imagine what the appeal would be at this point, seeing as basically no one consumes media that way any more or even has a desire to go back to it.

While ESPN certainly isn’t a great example of a cable network that’s making great moves either, I almost wonder if some sort of “30 for 30” type series wouldn’t have some draw on MTV, if rolled out in the right way. Seems like there would be no shortage of interesting topics for short documentaries about bands/artists/genres from our generation.

Of course, that would require a lot more work than a TRL reboot, and seeing as MTV has been laying off writers, we’re probably not seeing anything new anytime soon.

5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I HAVE A DESIRE. ME. I stanned trl so hard. Me and my friends would play it and take turns being Carson Daly. I'd watch it religiously after school every day until the bitter end when the video clips got shorter and shorter. I remember calling in over and over to try and win warped tour tickets lol.

I'm sure they'll make it all modern with "influencers" idgaf about, but I'll still watch. Yeah I can watch videos whenever I want and choose them myself, but I love watching videos on tv. I always watch MTV Classic where they play videos all day. Growing up the only motivation for me to get out of bed and get ready for school was to watch music videos in the morning and I still love them just the same now

6. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Bring back the legend - Jesse Camp, baby!

Raku and Kiana like this.
  7. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I also don't watch a lot of love tv anymore but if it was on I'd stop and watch a bit. watching videos on a big screen from the couch sounds way more relaxing than on the laptop.

8. Don't most TVs have this kinda thing built in? Or the Amazon/Chromecast sticks are like 30 bucks.

9. ship90

Trusted

I wish they would bring back cribs. I know there's some version of it on Snapchat, but I'd love the real deal.

mercury and Kiana like this.
  10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yes, not having a 45-year-old guy host a teen show will really kill this.

11. marsupial jones Jul 31, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 31, 2017)
    marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Ah memories. Calling each day after school in 5th grade to get "Freak on a Leash" over the hump from #2 to #1 and always being bested by the goddamn Backstreet Boys or N*Sync. And they never played the video! Just a brief clip and and then on to them goddamn boys in their Pac-Sun baggy 90's clothing!

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. ARo24

Regular

It was a joke. Plus the show's already dead it's not going to work.

13. kylethrash

More exposure for Music Videos is always a good thing and could in turn make the labels want to put more money into the budgets which makes for better work.

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

But it's literally not dead.

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I think it could work.

16. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I wish they would air old episodes of TRL. Why isn't MTV trying to cash in on my nostalgia? I mean I guess they are with this, but I'm sure they're gonna market it to a different demo who won't even watch it. So just cater to me. Play the ridic episodes with Mariah and her tshirt and Usher yelling about Tameka or Tiffany that dedicated BSB fan!! They should invite Tiffany back on for this. I wanna see where she is now lol

17. jco3

Regular

The Used were on TRL once, too.

18. dzyjay

Regular

Yea like I don't know if this will work either. Having bands come on for interviews and stuff would be cool again. However, I know for a fact that the music they will be playing won't be taking back Sunday and blink 182 so don't think I'll be a target demo.

19. Raku

Regular

The only reason to watch this would be for the live performances, but even then we have the internet for that.

With live-stream services such as twitch, and youtube's own streaming service, to watch a band play live like on TRL could be done through the power of the internet. I hope this succeeds, but like some else said, this most likely will be geared towards a different crowd, so no musical acts of any interest for me (possibly) on this show.