Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MTV News Laying Off Writers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

MTV News is laying off a bunch of their writing staff to shift toward video and short form content for a younger audience. Variety reports:

Among the most significant changes — MTV has reached an agreement with the Writers Guild of America East to represent MTV News staff members. As part of that agreement, MTV News is parting ways with fewer than a dozen staffers and several freelancers. The news division is in the process of hiring additional personnel to focus on video and short-form content.

I actually thought MTV had been putting out some pretty good written content over the last year. A shame to see how difficult making money online has become for most publishers.

2. This is really frustrating news

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i was one of those people who used to clown on MTV over being "irrelevant" and other bullshit like that some years ago. after hearing last year that they were hiring a bunch of really respected writers from around i really started to appreciate MTV's content on a regular basis again!
    so this is really disheartening to see, i really enjoyed this direction in which the company was headed

Essie and Jason Tate like this.
  4. chris

Trusted Supporter

this sucks, I really admired what they were building there. A lot of very talented writers out of work

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Video content is the bane of my existence.

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah, this sucks, loads of super talented people (sasha geffen, molly lambert, etc) and one of the most diverse groups of writers on any mainstream publication on the internet. just a huge bummer that the magic they were creating there couldn't last.

7. Dang. The layoff included a childhood friend of mine :uhoh:

8. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

[​IMG]

Raku and Essie like this.
  9. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Agree with Jason, a friend and I talked about this awhile ago regarding MTV's recent journalistic not so mediocre-ness as of late, so this is a bummer.