Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mozart Box Set is 2016’s Best-Selling CD Release

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The 200-disc Mozart box set is 2016’s best-selling CD release.

Mozart 225: The New Complete Edition has shifted 1.25 million total CDs in the five weeks since its Oct. 28 release, according to Universal Music Group. The collection is formidable in every sense. It comprises a whopping 200 CDs, presenting every work by the classical great; features the talents of 600 world-class soloists and 60 orchestras, and plays for a total of 240 hours (not to mention the many hours of additional reading materials bundled in).

2. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

*Also not to mention the many hours of changing the discs

Fronnyfron likes this.
  3. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

For the lazy, this is only 6,250 units. If we put that against the rough average price of $350, that is roughly $2,187,500 in revenue. Divide that by your standard going rate of $9.99 for a standard full-length record, and you'd get 218,969 units shifted in five weeks. I think this Mozart kid might have been on to something. I am also aware that those statistics got increasingly irrelevant but they are fun to play around with.

I am bummed that there is not a vinyl release of this, just for the sheer magnitude of the task that would be housing 200+ LPs and attaching a price tag that isn't equivalent to a mortgage.

4. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Fucking sell out.

honkytonk and Anthony_D'Elia like this.
  5. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

"Too many notes."

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Yeah but it's just covers

7. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Stoked for the B-Sides album!

ConArdist and The Lucky Moose like this.
  8. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Wow. Cool! Mozart's a BAMF w/ absolutely bangin' jams. For real, though. I adore classical.

9. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Gah, you're such a mean, mean man! :-)

10. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Are they seriously counting each of the 200 discs in that number? Because if so, that really shouldn't count then

11. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

They are, but they're making it very clear that they are, referring to the amount of discs sold rather than units, and who can blame them? It's a $300+ dollar box set of 200+ year old compositions, there's really not a reference point to measure this against. Closest thing I can think of is the Beatles remaster box and even that is just so different.