Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Moving Mountains Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Deathco_019, Mar 10, 2016.

1. m9tt

heaven knows what i am

Prawn and gates are two bands that regularly get thrown out there. Personally, I think Owel is the closest band to capture the intricacies that made MM so special to me. "Snowglobe" and "Burning House" really build and sweep like Moving Mountains songs.

s12sim likes this.
  2. m9tt

heaven knows what i am

Yeah, definitely check out Gates and Owel... Gates' new song is phenomenal.

s12sim likes this.
  3. OotyPa

fall away

I'd also check out some Appleseed Cast if you like that Pneuma sound

fenway89 likes this.
  4. Deathco_019

Drummer

Two Conversations is probably their most accessible release. It's also a great album. I'd check that out and Illumination Ritual (which is their latest album).

Also, definitely check out Gates. Greg Dunn produced their first two EPs!

s12sim likes this.
  5. OotyPa

fall away

For Appleseed Cast I started with Two Conversations, but Low Level Owl is also good and their newest album Illumination Ritual is the shiiiiiiiiit. Probably the most skilled instrumentalists in this whole scene

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

The Appleseed cast did this sound a dozen years before MovMou did

7. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Just start with Low Level owl.

If you like that then check out their other stuff.

8. cwhit

i'm going for two conversations for the first album

9. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

We get it. There is always a band that did it first but that doesn't mean to stop/other music is bad

10. cwhit

i love movmou's self titled more than any appleseed cast what are you saying lol

11. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Thought you were implying "Appleseed Cast" did it first I.E. it's better.

12. cwhit

i hate people who think the "did it first equals did it better" thing is real. shouldn't be forced to think influences are better just because they originated a sound

DrawYourMind likes this.
  13. Deathco_019

Drummer

Yeah there's definitely room for both bands here. They're both great.

DrawYourMind likes this.
  14. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Agreed!

15. jols

Trusted Prestigious

every Appleseed Cast release is worth a listen. just pick one and skip around until you find what you like.

16. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

Everyone else's suggestions are good. Definitely check out Prawn's albums Kingfisher and Ships. Again, Two Conversations is a great place to start with Appleseed. Another great album, musically similar with more Ben Gibbard-ish vocals is Nothing Happens for a Reason by Pompeii.

DrawYourMind likes this.
  17. OotyPa

fall away

That Pompeii album is a fucking classic. LOOM's awesome too but less similar to MovMou

j0hnnyrt and DrawYourMind like this.
  18. Deathco_019

Drummer

Pompeii is a good rec, particularly if you're into MovMou's S/T and split with Prawn.

Vasudeva is a really cool instrumental band. Not really post-rock but atmospheric for sure. Greg Dunn mastered their album Life In Cycles.

trevorshmevor and Bartek T. like this.
  19. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

Loom for sure, it's just a little different, also kind of strange. But yeah, NHFAR is so great. Reeeally wish they would press it.

20. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

LOVE POMPEI. So much. That album is just too damn good!

austindavispdx likes this.
  21. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Well, it's been a lot of time after I had listened to the previous version, probably more than a few months, so it's hard to tell, but I got the impression it's a bit more up to date with the overall sound, and quite cleaner too. Just try to check it out somewhere online before deciding ;d I also had the previous version on cd before, so I have to admit I downloaded it for free when topshelf had an anniversary and were giving all their downloads away for one day.

Gates is one of my favorite bands, absolutely killing it! I haven't seen anyone mention Athletics - check them out for sure! Greg produced some of their stuff too, and their EP "Who You Are Is Not Enough" will absolutely fit the discussion, it sounds a lot like MovMou, I guess :)

To everyone mentioning other bands, I think these are all great! Owel's and Pompeii's last albums were sounding just amazing! Kevin from Gates is doing new music with Owel now, and I'm also excited about it :)

s12sim likes this.
  22. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Oh exactly, they're all free on bandcamp, and they're finally writing some new music currently, however, try and start with WYAINE (on bandcamp it comes with some bonus instrumentals), it is surely sounding the closest to MM, but some of the other stuff is good too - all of it was done with the help of either Greg from MM, or Kevin from Gates :)

23. cwhit

Athletics dudes are my favorite dudes on earth. Forever grateful to them for a whole lot of things

24. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Good point.

I'll just go ahead and buy the digital. Not like it is expensive at all!

Do agree on your below. I haven't really listened to this sort of genre in awhile. have been, lately, coming back that though. It was my favorite genre for a long, long time.

Bartek T. likes this.
  25. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Currently getting into the self titled, my first venture into this band. Sorry to open a can of worms, but why the hate for Waves?