Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Moving Mountains Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Deathco_019, Mar 10, 2016.

1. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

I actually really like TROW (but primarily their first two Tigers on Trains albums).

2. Deathco_019

Drummer

I'd either start with Pneuma because they have a small enough discography that you could just start from the beginning, or the S/T and the split with Prawn because I think those are their best works.

3. Paul Beaumont

Self Titled is their best by a long shot for me. Pneuma never really hit home at the time, I didn't enjoy the nasal vocals as much as the later style, but I bought the vinyl and it has grown on me a lot.

4. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

This.

I definitely wouldn't start with Foreword unless you're really into post-rock, since that's definitely an outlier in their discography. Either start from the beginning or start from the S/T

5. chubacca Apr 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2016)
    chubacca

I would start with Forward because personally that's my favorite. It's so atmospheric, I love it.

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i don't listen to anything other than the s/t and the split now

7. Paul Beaumont

New Light is great too, like a S/T version of a few older songs.

8. you could listen to S/T four times and just consider that their discography.

9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

not really.

10. it's hyperbole for how good it is. I like the rest of their stuff too (even waves!)

11. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I like all their albums but I think each one is better than the last. S/t is probably in my top ten

12. Deathco_019

Drummer

S/T is definitely a top ten album for me. Had a huge impact on my life.

13. jorbjorb

7 rings

love these guys

14. younglikeme

ii // YLM

To this day I'll never forget listening to their first record walking at night through Rutgers campus. It was almost an out of body experience & one that I've had maybe a handful of times ever listening to a band.

jorbjorb likes this.
  15. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Ode is my favorite song

coleslawed and s12sim like this.
  16. KBradley

the earth is not a cold dead place.

S/T is one of the most important albums in my life.

All their others are great, but S/T is their magnum opus.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  17. Kristen Apr 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 8, 2016)
    Kristen

Regular

I don't understand the hate that Waves gets. That's my favorite Moving Mountains release with Pneuma very close behind. I never could get into the self titled album even though I tried...

SpyKi and DejaMoi like this.
  18. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

So jealous of people who get to explore these guy's discography for the first time. Such a unique arc. Each record/release gives a really different feel.

I also will never understand the dislike Waves got. It's like the record Thrice might've made after Artist In The Ambulance if they went further down that rabbit hole and didn't go in the direction of Vheissu, and I'm glad I have both options now for Thrice.

Still @Kristen you should probably try again. Self-titled is pretty perf too.

19. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Probably my second favorite album closer behind *fin (my second favorite song ever) and just an incredibly important and emotional song for me.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  20. Deathco_019

Drummer

Interesting because if there's any Thrice album I'd compare Waves to it's Vheissu.

21. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Ehh, I mean it's pretty similar in a lot of ways to "The Earth Will Shake" and "Of Dust and Nations," hmm. Yeah that's interesting. I don't know. It's very Thrice either way and I'm about it for that reason.

I feel like I've always been the most vocal proponent of Waves on this site/AP.net now for like 5 years now.

22. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

To me, I honestly can't think of a single song in this band's entire career I would call "bad." That's astounding.

DejaMoi likes this.
  23. chubacca

Pneuma is such an amazing release. There are key highlights like Aphelion, 8105, Sol Solis and Ode. And then you have the reoccurring theme through out the album. Not to cause a fight, but I think there is more raw emotion in Aphelion (2 minute song) than the whole S/T release, and I love S/T. It's awesome as a fan to see each release MovMou experimenting with something new.

24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Sameeeeee. Thinking about getting "Fall away" tattooed on my arm

The Mysterious and Zac Djamoos like this.
  25. Deathco_019

Drummer

You are going to cause a fight. >:-(

Just messing, I love Aphelion. Definitely one of my favorites as well, alongside Cover The Roots, 8105, and Ode.