Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Movies That Didn’t Actually Happen • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Marx&Recreation, May 24, 2020.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Twilight maybe

2. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

That some sort of monthly subscription where I get taxidermied birds shipped to my house?

riotspray, aoftbsten and chewbacca110 like this.
  3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Lol I grew up in Montana, where that author wrote that book so it was HUGE when I was a kid

4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Is Vin Diesel not in them anymore? I thought he was one of the regulars still(I've only seen through Tokyo Drift)

5. Morrissey

Trusted

He was not in the second film, and then Diesel and Walker were not in Tokyo Drift (outside of a Diesel cameo). It seemed like it was winding down, but then the actors came back and it became a huge franchise.

riotspray and Colby Searcy like this.
  6. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Netflix hits feel like cheating almost. Tiger King aired two months ago and already it’s a dead topic

riotspray likes this.
  7. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

It’s Redbox but for birds

8. Morrissey

Trusted

You must not have a lot of middle-aged co-workers on social media.

9. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

the social media equivalent of these kinds of movies is that if it didn’t happen on twitter then it doesn’t matter

Colby Searcy likes this.
  10. Morrissey

Trusted

angrycandy likes this.
  11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

My Big Fat Greek Wedding is an interesting case. It was SUCH a small movie, but it came out at the perfect time and touched a nerve that no one expected. It was wholesome enough for all ages without being pandering to any of them, so it was huge with families (I remember it specifically as one of the few movies I saw with my grandparents in a theater). The leads were believable as real people who were genuinely into each other, so it worked as a romantic comedy. The family element was handled in a way where its specificity made it relatable to anyone with a big or blended family instead of just being a broad parody.

Plus it was just a “nice” movie at a time when I think a lot of people really wanted that. The conflicts were important enough that it felt like the film had stakes, but no one is a villain and no one’s life gets ruined and there’s no late in the movie fight where you think the whole thing will fall apart. It’s just two people falling in love and two different families being themselves but letting go of some control to become happier people.

I’ve read some pieces on its surprising success and impact over the years, maybe I can find one of those again.

Renee, coleslawed, mad and 1 other person like this.
  12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I feel like “Miss Peregrine’s Hope for Peculiar Children” is a good contender. Big-budget movie based on a book. Directed by Tim Burton. Made $300 million. I’ve never heard anyone speak of it.

Zach, Colby Searcy and JRGComedy like this.
  13. michael_gatto

Trusted

Enders Game

aoftbsten, Zilla and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That’s a great one. So many of my favorites making up the cast, based on a book I love, saw it in theaters. Haven’t independently thought of it a single time since it came out.

coleslawed and michael_gatto like this.
  15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think musical adaptations are the best for this because they are either huge successes or they flop and no in between

16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I was going to mention Nine earlier but I figured you and I reference it too much, lol.

17. shoot-em-up-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg

angrycandy likes this.
  18. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

Phone_Booth_movie.jpg AAAABY-WrjIICjUp98qZRPUNynw12W09-QPZSBEUjF7REz0GIj70gTtCoIvj2BDPaAg5Uoj-utTcbdHodj2mCLwXiiHD0rCG.jpg MV5BMTY0MTc3MzMzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDE4MjE0NA@@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

19. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

The Ides of March

20. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I’d say aside from Frankenweenie, every Burton movie of the past decade fits

Zilla likes this.
  21. michael_gatto

Trusted

I never read the books but I remember going into it so excited about the cast and then it just kinda happened. I vaguely remember a weird animated sequence in a tree.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Funnily enough that scene is what I remember the most as well, and was one of the closest to the source. It was weird in the book too. Unfortunately the author is a terrible person so it’s not a series I can recommend without reservations, but I read the first at a pretty important time in my life so I always have fond feelings.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. michael_gatto

Trusted

Hm I am always looking for a new book to read but the author being a terrible person definitely makes me hesitant to dive in to that.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Since the thread just got bumped, I completely forgot they made another Bourne movie a few years ago. I barely remember it being rebooted, and I couldn’t have told you Damon did one after that to save my life.

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Jeremy Renner may be the only actor who doesn't exist