Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Movie Theater Subscription Services • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by suicidesaints, Nov 30, 2017.

1. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I don't know, a movie like Shape of Water I don't think I'd ever watch without a trailer.

2. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

really? see, i need not a single word outside of GDT's involvement and my ass is in the seat lol

suicidesaints likes this.
  3. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Moviepass is so good that it actually made me enjoy my experience of going to see Downsizing. The movie is very bad and dumb but I had a nice time seeing it.

electro haikus and suicidesaints like this.
  4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

This 100%.

If Tarantino (for example) releases a film, I'm going to go see it. Opening night. I know people will talk about it and watch trailers and interviews for years before the release... and not to say I won't follow any press for the film at all, but I almost would rather not and just wait to see the film.

I didn't know much about The Shape of Water going in, but I knew I loved Pan's Labyrinth, so I went to see it.

MoviePass only heightens this, because now I'm willing to see things I have even less knowledge about.

electro haikus likes this.
  5. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I kind of agree. Had I paid (even $5 on discount day) to see Downsizing, I would have been upset, but instead I was able to just kind of laugh at the stupid movie and go on with my day knowing I could see something better tomorrow.

electro haikus and yeahrightdude like this.
  6. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I enjoy seeing trailers for movies I know nothing about. There's that movie Thoroughbred coming out that looks really good, and it wouldn't be on my radar if the trailer wasn't in front of Star Wars!

But if it's a movie I know I'm gonna see regardless of trailer quality, I'll avoid the trailers as much as possible

7. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Don’t know if this has been discussed. I looked a little bit but didn’t find anything. A clerk at cinemark said people have used moviepass for 3d and their XD thing. They use moviepass for probably a regular showing and then pay the difference themselves. I’m assuming that’s frowned upon.

Anybody ever try doing this? Was thinking about trying it for XD

8. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Felt the same way about seeing Jumanji last night.

9. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

We talked about it a little bit on the last page or so...

It's against MP's TOS and they can fine you and/or cancel your account for doing it. I'm sure you could work it so that MP couldn't really catch you, but technically you would be violating the TOS.

10. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

K thanks. Don’t think it’s worth it. Moviepass is too good by itself. Don’t need to try to take advantage of it

11. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Exactly. It's so awesome already, I wouldn't want to risk my account getting cancelled

BUT... to quote my previous post...

Dodger likes this.
  12. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

They sent me a survey asking if I'd pay extra for 3D or iMax movies subscription so it seems they're look into it.

13. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Got the same survey. Said I'd pay another $5-10 a month for it. Although I'm not sure I'd ever really even use it. I don't like 3D movies, and most of the time I'd probably only go to IMAX/Dolby if the time worked for me better, not because I care about the bigger screen/sound.

14. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I don't think I would upgrade, unless it was closer to $2-5 more /mo.

15. Shrek

i would hurl $10 at them for imax in the blink of an eye. i would pay $5 per instance ffs. gimme dat imax.

16. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I don't need imax/3d, but I'd probably pay $5-10 more for it just for the convenience of having the option of more showtimes.

17. jjnunn118

I'm all for a "per showing" basis.

suicidesaints and electro haikus like this.
  18. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah it would be amazing if they could manage to just charge you through the movie pass app for an 3d/imax upcharge. I don't ever see 3D movies and we don't have an imax screen near here so I wouldn't never use it but having the option is nice.

suicidesaints likes this.
  19. Shrek

i'm gonna try to do the IMAX 3D while paying the difference thing tonight. i swear it will be only this once, but i'm too curious not to.

20. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'm sure it'll work. Just don't know if MP will notice and penalize you or not. Unlikely if it's just this once.

If you're not going to do the return/exchange and you're just going to try to pay the difference, I would try to make sure they run the MoviePass for the EXACT price of a regular ticket (rather than maxing out the MP)

21. Shrek

i think i'm better off asking them to only put $15 on the card but maybe you're right

edit: wait nvm im dumb i understand what you were saying now

22. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

I saw people on reddit are having their accounts cancelled for buying two tickets, using Moviepass to pay for one, then paying the difference. Even if the transaction was split perfectly. Obviously that's a different situation but I imagine they track that the same way they would track a 3d imax split purchase too.

23. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

To play it safe, just buy a 2D ticket with MP via the kiosk, then go to the box office and tell them you meant to buy IMAX/3D and do the exchange that way. No risk with MP that way.

24. jjnunn118

Molly's Game or 3 Billboards tonight?

25. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Molly's Game