Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Movie Theater Subscription Services • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by suicidesaints, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

it’s def a deal and I’d do it if Regal offered! But it’s a portrait of how bad theaters have bent us over until, well, MoviePass lol

suicidesaints likes this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I've seen a few smaller theaters do a $15 buy-in and then $4.50 for the refills. I honestly don't think that's so bad of a deal, especially if you go to the theater a lot. The ridiculous prices are what prevent me from ordering popcorn, but idk, $4.50 to fill a huge bucket is worth it, to me.

electro haikus likes this.
  3. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Don't eat popcorn and it's not an issue. ;-p

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

But I wants it

5. I got an email a couple days ago from MoviePass saying "your card should have arrived! your account starts tomorrow!" buuuuut I still never got my card. So I hit them up and told them and so they sent my girlfriend and I each a new card. Hopefully we will get them soon! Sheesh!

6. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I don't typically get anything, but if I do, it's usually nachos. I haven't had a serving of popcorn in probably 10+ years. Just don't like it.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Time to be a party pooper

Popcorn is the only way movie theaters make profit and can exist, they actually lose money if ticket sales are low enough

Contender and electro haikus like this.
  8. The only thing I buy is a huge ass Coke.

9. Shrek

well, concessions in general. not to be pedantic but there's about 1,000 overpriced options. i get that it's how they make money but when it's $30 to see a movie with a drink and snack, i'm ok slinging shade at them. a broken system is better off fixed than turned progressively more anti-consumer until the wheels fall off

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Oh yeah I totally agree that movie tickets and concessions are too expensive, I'm just concerned about movie theaters closing and I'd be sad if they completely go away, I don't know how to fix the problem

11. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Stop paying actors millions, lower the costs of everything in the entertainment industry.

12. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

That's why MoviePass is a godsend. I don't mind spending $15-20 total on a movie/concessions, so now that the movie cost is nominal, I'll throw a few bucks down at the concession stand.

13. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

just found this thread

Movie Pass is the best

14. drewinseries

Drew

Large popcorn large soda, sitting with both of those as the lights dim to begin previews on a film i'm about to see if by far one of my favorite feelings in life.

MoviePass had a rocky start for me (like 8 weeks for my card to get here, my theater dropping off of e-ticketing after I subscribed) but now that that is settled, I love it.

15. Shrek

yeah. whether MoviePass is a success or a failure, bet there will be an awesome Netflix doc on it in 5 years. still nuts that a business is taking on the most lucrative form of entertainment in the world at a huge loss in a hope they can shift consumer habits enough to be unstoppable or price out the user data well enough to exist as things currently are.

16. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Except when it's all gone by the time the movie starts. Trailers seem to get longer and longer these days.

17. drewinseries

Drew

That's why I get larges ;-)

18. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

That's why you show up 15 minutes late

19. drewinseries

Drew

I don't get people who want to skip previews. I love the previews. I miss the days where I see trailers (at least the biggies) at the theater. I'm not strong enough to not see them before.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  20. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

It's interesting because MoviePass is the first thing that's made any impact at battling piracy in my personal life. In the past I would have watched maybe one or two "awards" films in the theater and watched screeners of the rest. This year I've only watched two screeners, and that's because the movies weren't playing anywhere within 50 miles of me.

electro haikus and angrycandy like this.
  21. Shrek

Spotify was the first thing to really curb my piracy habits, but MoviePass has been another big one. now i only ever pirate TV shows that my cable provider doesn't put on demand for like a week and older movies that aren't available for streaming

22. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Personally, I avoid trailers at all costs.

I only want to see a trailer if it's a film I don't know if I'd want to see or not. If it's something I know I want to see already, I'd rather just wait and see the film as a whole.

For films I know nothing about, I usually know within the first 40 seconds of a trailer if I'm interested or not, and then I don't want to see the remainder of the trailer.

Especially with MoviePass where I can see anything with very little risk (other than my time) I see no reason to watch a trailer. I'll just watch the movie itself.

23. Shrek

yep, trailers have changed in nature a whole lot. i feel comfortable that thought is more than just a childhood perspective v. an adult perspective thing. with spoiler culture where it's at and ticket sales struggling the way they are, people are going to spoil everything between interviews and fans combing merchandising materials, so either studios let movie blog #700 do it or they turn it into a marketing schtick themselves.

24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I don't like being "spoiled" but I'm not even really referring to spoilers.

There's just something about watching something you know very little bit about and then wind up loving.

It's probably something to do with expectations... I dunno...

yeahrightdude and electro haikus like this.
  25. Shrek

nope, 100% on your side with this. especially if it's a stand alone film. if it's the new Star Wars or something, i'm w/e with a small trailer because that story and 80% of those characters are already developed in my mind