Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Movie Theater Subscription Services • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by suicidesaints, Nov 30, 2017.

1. it's been 10 business days and i still don't have my card yet... grr

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

It took a legit 6 weeks for my card to show up, but it finally did. I ordered at the peak of it all though, so I'm sure you'll get your's sooner. Be patient, I know the wait is brutal, but it's totally worth it in the end.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  3. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

really interested in ordering one. but im not sure if ill waiting until spring. Hopefully by then a lot of the app issues are fixed that I read about. also, can you be within 100 feet of the theatre and pre-order tickets for like 8 hours later? like get to mall at 10am, purchase tickets for a 9pm showing? if my girlfriend and I both get movie passes, is it easy to get seats next to each other?

4. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I did Star Wars opening night with movie pass. Went early in the morning, chose my screening, picked up my ticket, then went to work and came back.

The seating thing I have no clue, theaters around me don't have assigned seating.

NJPunkMusic likes this.
  5. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Yes to all of this. You can only buy tickets for showtimes that same day, but you can go in the morning and get tickets for a show that night.

As far as reserved seats go, you won't have any issues as long as no one buys the seat right next to you before your gf is able to go buy her ticket. I've done it a few times and it's been fine. Opening night/weekend for certain movies might vary, but in general it's all been good.

The only problem I've experienced with the app is that it logs me out every time. So I just have to log back in, but other than that, smooth sailing.

6. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK!

suicidesaints likes this.
  7. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

my one privilege-drenched "complaint" re: Moviepass is I now cannot be bothered to do IMAX for anything. Prior to Moviepass, it was easy to pay the extra 5-6 bucks and not feel a huge difference on my wallet, but now that it's free versus $18... no way. I really want to see TLJ in IMAX before it leaves theaters, and absolutely would have for an extra $6. It would be awesome if Moviepass had an "in app purchase" equivalent where if you pay an additional $5 per instance direct to the card they charge every month that they'd load you up with an IMAX fare. Otherwise prob never happening again as long as this service exists lol.

8. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Has anyone tried to use MoviePass to buy an IMAX ticket? I went with someone to see a movie, asked for two tickets, and they said the MP value is $15. Tickets were $12, so they applied the $3 to ticket number 2. I just wonder if it works the same with IMAX, you get $15, but have to pay the balance?

9. Shrek

IMAX isn't even selectable through the app, at least not through Regal Cinemas. they're listed, but grayed out. you may be able to pick a similar showtime for standard, buy an IMAX ticket, and pay the difference... but i'm confident Moviepass would rather you didn't. if you try it anyways, report back lol

10. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Pulling the MoviePass trigger with my lady on Friday. Star Wars and Oscar-bait here we come!

11. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Don't get too excited - it takes a bit of time (2.5-3 weeks for me), before it arrives.

bradsonemanband and chewbacca110 like this.
  12. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I got mine in about a week and a half, probably less. I got it in the middle of last month.

13. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I probably have to deal with the post-Christmas rush..... meh. It'll be worth it.

electro haikus likes this.
  14. Shrek

def worth it. i was so bitter at the beginning because i signed up on day one then told everyone and their mother about it on top of ordering a second card in my ex's name a week later... only to have every single one of them get their card before me lol

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

So, apparently you CAN do this, but you shouldn't. It's against the TOS for MoviePass and if they catch you, they'll either fine you $20-25 (it's outline in the TOS) and/or cancel your membership.

If you go on reddit, there's lots of idiots doing all sorts of scams. Like checking in for a movie and then using it to buy 2 tickets, or going to the gas station and using it to get gas. Morally, it doesn't seem wrong to me to check in for a 2D showing, and then pay the difference for a 3D or IMAX showing, but you run the risk of MoviePass fining you/cancelling your account.

EDIT: If you must work the system... I'd check in for a regular movie and use the kiosk at the theater to buy your ticket using MoviePass. Then go to the box office and tell them that you didn't realize it, but your friend actually got tickets for the IMAX showing so you want to exchange your ticket. That way MoviePass is none the wiser and you only have to pay the additional $5 or whatever for the IMAX showing.

16. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks for the heads up. What about the two ticket thing for standard movies? Hopefully I didn't violate anything there.

17. Shrek

i'm sure you did but what you did is prob safer as there is a third party processing your transaction at the counter, could easily say "i didn't know"

18. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Technically you did violate the TOS, but I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you do it over and over again. In the future if you're gonna buy multiple tickets, just buy them one at a time when using MoviePass. The person at the box office can easily mess it up otherwise and it's not really your fault.

I keep hearing horror stories about theaters giving people shit when using MoviePass (especially when trying to use rewards programs) but I've just been using the kiosk every time and it's been flawless.

electro haikus likes this.
  19. Shrek

yep, kiosk or bust. i shared in here that when i went to see Lady Bird and the kiosk was down, they wrote "MP" in bold highlighter over every piece of material that printed out. felt like a leper lol.

20. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I can understand why they'd want to mark your ticket MP to keep people from getting cash refunds, but it seems like certain employees/theaters (AMC in particular) are taking it to another level and giving shit to legit MP users. Technically you can't use AMC Stubs with MP (although I've been doing it via kiosk) but if AMC is getting their money, they should give me my points.

electro haikus and Anthony_ like this.
  21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah this is ridiculous and I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why I shouldn't be able to get points when AMC is getting paid either way. You better believe I swipe that Stubs card in the kiosk every time.

22. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Yup. I just upgraded to Premium so that I might actually get a reward at some point. (You get like 1/5 of the points when you're just a regular member)

I signed up online and it said I was gonna get a free XL drink for signing up, but I have no idea how to redeem that. Any ideas? I don't see any rewards in the app, only the points I've accumulated so far.

edit: Also, they're selling this popcorn bucket for $20-25 that you can refill for $4.50 all year long. Do you know if you get points on both the purchase of the bucket and on refills?
    Have you used Stubs for long?

23. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Re: the XL drink thing, I don't remember.I've been using stubs for a long time. So they might not have even been doing it when I signed up.

Re: the popcorn bucket, I didn't even know AMC had started doing that kind of thing. If I had to guess, you would get points on both the initial purchase and the $4.50 refills, but since the points are based on how much money you spend you'd obviously only be getting $4.50 worth of points for the refills. But I always hand them the card every time I spend money there in any capacity, just to be safe.

24. Shrek

i hate that this is considered a "deal" haha

25. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I know. It's insane. But I figure if I just eat the initial investment of $20-25, then I can get the $4.50 refill (for free) every 5th visit using my Stubs rewards (and that's just points earned from tickets bought using MP)

Anthony_ and electro haikus like this.