Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me (March 24, 2017) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Dog with a Blog

Very simple but some of his most beautiful work, in my opinion. Literally like one small portion on the whole album that calls back to some black metal influence

2. Dog with a Blog

I feel like it would suck to play these songs live but at the same time I almost can't imagine him playing anything else for awhile.

Kennedy likes this.
  3. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Seeing him play it at the Cemetary in May and it should be a nice bummer

fronkensteen likes this.
  4. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Finally worked up the courage to listen to this, and it's heartbreaking but also so so beautiful.

I can't even imagine the courage it takes to tackle these subjects through writing and playing these songs, but to do so while also raising a child on your own, and then releasing the results to the public. Man.

awwgereee and coleslawed like this.
  5. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I listened once, kind of half listening, and I didn't like this much at all.

I gave it another chance while I wasn't doing anything else, and wow, I'm speechless. This is some of the most heart-wrenching storytelling I've heard.

nohandstoholdonto and cwhit like this.
  6. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Man... I just don't even know what to say about this record. There is such bravery in writing and releasing songs like these, and I respect him so much for making this album. And it's beautiful. I just have no idea if this is going to be something I can revisit... at all. It's so intensely triggering for me. My mom passed away when I was even younger than his daughter, so my dad essentially went through the same thing he is writing about. Some death albums (Keep You, Stage Four, Carrie and Lowell) are manageable for me and are actually some of my favorite records ever, but this is pretty much completely overwhelming. I'd love to spend more time with it, but wow, it's just absolutely fucking brutal.

7. Deathco_019

Drummer

Yeah so this has been one hell of a way to start my morning off

8. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

Well put. Not only did this make me cry but it brought back an ache in my gut I vividly remember from a loss of my own. I find my mind lingering on it hours later and I know it's going to stick with me for a long while. It's as beautiful as it is devastating.

Joel likes this.
  9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

not to take away from this record but since there seems to be a lot of people new to phil elverum in this thread you all NEED to listen to the glow pt 2

10. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

A best friend of mine passed away two days ago. I went into this knowing the theme of the record. It's hard to not repeat what others have said about this record. A Crow Looked at Me was hard to make it all the way through. I lost it after Real Death.

11. Dog with a Blog

I will say, I don't know if anything will ever top Clear Moon for me, but this is close

12. I never cared for The Microphones and thus never listened to Mount Eerie, but yeah, this is stunningly beautiful and indescribably sad all at the same time. The songwriting feels so visceral and urgent (even considering the circumstances). The Pitchfork interview is one of my favorite pieces I've read in a while.

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  13. cwhit

stunned you don't like the microphones

14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I will add that I too haven't been grabbed by anything I've heard from the Microphones, which I think is just the Glow pt. 2.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. cwhit

i don't trust anyone who doesn't like the glow pt 2

16. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Listened to this the morning it dropped and wow. If there's any justice in the world, this will go down as one of the great sad albums of all time. I find it hard to believe anything this year will top it for me, at least on an emotional level. There's the kind of great album that you listen to on repeat and the kind that demands special concentration that needs to be spaced out. This is a case of the latter for me. Saddest thing I've ever heard.

17. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I really want to listen to this album, but I feel like I won't be able to handle it at this time of the year.
    Hopefully i'll remember to come back to it this summer.

18. cwhit

i still haven't listened yet
    i am not happy about that
    just haven't been in the right place yet

19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I finally picked up the vinyl today. My record store told me not to expect it for a while, so I was shocked when it was there today (and for half the price of ordering it online!). It's such a beautiful package.

Despite the daunting subject matter, I find this album quite listenable. A lot of my music listening is spent having it playing while doing other tasks, walking around the city or riding public transport, where I can't focus on the lyrics as much. The stripped down, sparsity of the music is oddly calming. When I do listen with lyrics it's so devastating. The line about their therapist dying so soon after Genevieve is the thing that sticks with me most right now.

Joel likes this.
  20. Dog with a Blog

I almost feel inherently selfish for enjoying this album as much as I do

KidLightning likes this.
  21. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

listen to this then listen to Goodness and tell me you didn't transcend in many possible ways

22. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I feel exactly the same way. This wrecked me in a way that I'm not sure I can return to it.

23. PauLo

43% Burnt

I only made it past two songs before I had to stop. It was just too much for me. Too immediate and too raw. I think it's because it's so minimal. I was able to make it through the last Nick Cave album as it was a difficult listen musically too and it gave me something to listen to besides the lyrical content. But when Phil starts talking about the bag his wife bought for their kid before she died knowing that she'll need it after her death? That slayed me. Couldn't listen after that

24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

It is very interesting listening to Ocean Roar when all my other experiences with his music have been quite quiet.

25. cwhit

so i just bought tickets to this tour...