Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Motorsports (NASCAR, F1, etc) Discussion Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by MrCon, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Albon is having a disaster here.

2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Boring race. Great stuff from Lando to pick up two places on the last lap.

3. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Fun at the start, fun at the end and pretty bleh in the middle.

The midfield battle looks like it's going to be amazing this year though. The Renault, McLaren and Racing Point cars all seem to have different strengths and come on song at different times.

Perez butchered his own race at the end there. What a daft move. Interesting that there doesn't seem to be an investigation for that, but it was very close to Albon skating through the gravel again.

4. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I was thinking that. Apparently they’re looking at Stroll’s pass on Ricciardo but I think the Perez move should be looked at too.

MrCon likes this.
  5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Mercedes is still Mercedes. At least the rest of the race was fun. Lando is killing it so far.

MrCon likes this.
  6. MrCon

Looks like they decided that Stroll's move was fine. I'm not hugely on board with that sort of move. Just throwing the car into the inside of the corner and expecting the other guy to get out of the way tends to feel a bit cheap to me.

Lando has come back this year a different beast. Good to see him and Sainz working together still though.

Joe4th likes this.
  7. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah it was a bad one for me. So much so that both went off the track. Can’t understand how an overtake that goes off the track is ok.

if Hamilton’s last week was worth the 5 seconds, so was that.

8. MrCon

Common problem with F1. A lot of the penalties seem to focus on the result, rather than the infringement. There's a real lack of consistency with it. I thought the Lewis one was harsh (as I don't think he could have done a great deal to avoid it, practically), but by the letter of the law he had to be punished. Unsure how dive bombing the car in front like Stroll and Perez did is OK, just because they didn't manage to wipe someone out.

9. MrCon

Actually, just seen a replay of the Stroll move and I can see why he was let off for that. Ricciardo tries to block him off when he's already alongside. It forces them both straight on.

10. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Do you have a link to that replay?

11. MrCon

About 3:30. I was wrong about Ricciardo. I don't think he turns in at all, but I think the move is on for Stroll and the front understeers away. Or he didn't get the braking quite right. It's a bit nothing in the end.

Nick likes this.
  12. Joe4th

Vettel to Aston Martin is gaining steam

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I’d feel bad for Perez if that happens. He’s a better driver than Stroll but his dad is hardly going to sack him.

MrCon likes this.
  14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Helmut says, if RP is legal Alpha Tauri will go back to copying the Red Bull chassis lol. This season is great so far.

15. MrCon

From what I understand, RP pretty much researched the Merc car. They've not had help from Mercedes to do it. STR used to be given the designs for the previous Red Bull (I think).

Although, I really don't have much of an issue with handing over the previous year's design. The cars move on so quickly that it's rare that the previous car is anywhere near as good as the new one anyway.

16. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I think the Renault protest is regarding the brake ducts which would be harder to copy with photos. I don't have much knowledge past that.

you would think, but the RP car is bloody fast this year. Perez got p6 from p17, which is a bit mental. Could have finished 4th if he didn't tangle with Albon. The Mercedes cars just look a cut above the rest of the field, even last years compared to this years midfield.

17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I know it's only FP1 but jesus that Mercedes looks miles better than anything else.

18. Joe4th

RB is looking awful

19. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Ferrari are back! P1 Vettel!!!

seriously though, that Red Bull car looks awful to drive today. I struggle to see a non Merc car winning a race this season

20. MrCon

Russell is showing some talent again today. Pleased to see the Williams actually seems to be a car this year.

Albon not looking good at all so far.

21. MrCon

Mercedes are nightmarishly fast here. That's a very short circuit and they're so far ahead...

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Man after such an eventful and fun first race and the chance of Mercedes issues with the gearbox. This season is quickly turning into a boring slaughter. Only real intrigues are can Racing Point beat RB to second place, and can McLaren beat Ferrari to fourth it seems.

So glad for Russell. He deserves it. Sounded a bit downbeat after Williams confirmed he was staying next year. Fair play to Latifi too.

MrCon likes this.
  23. Joe4th

RB and Ferrari are a mess this year.
    It’s still so crazy to see Racing Point up there

MrCon likes this.
  24. MrCon

Yeah, the race tomorrow isn't likely to be about Mercedes. They're going to be off in their own world. Hopefully we get a good battle between the cars behind them though.

25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I think third place is Racing Point’s to lose to be honest.Ferrari look better than last week but still not great and RB look awful.

Joe4th likes this.