Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Motorsports (NASCAR, F1, etc) Discussion Thread • Page 38

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by MrCon, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Absolutely stupid penalty. They both were at fault, it’s a racing deal and I’m so tired of FIA

grand scheme of things it won’t matter because Max will probably just get a new engine in Sochi anyways but still. So dumb

2. Platy

Sam

I agree with the penalty, Max could have done more to avoid it. He done his usual throw his car in a gap and hope the other person gets out of the way.

2nd chicane on the first lap Hamilton bails otherwise they crash, same at Imola and Spain. Max would have had Hamilton later in the race, silly error.

Perez is an idiot for not giving back the place, he done it in the sprint race yesterday too.

So pleased for McLaren, Bottas with an impressive drive too.

MrCon likes this.
  3. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Bottas was brilliant this weekend. He was the best driver in every session.

4. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Agree with this. Was a bit of classic Max logic. He's quite happy to close the gap on other cars, but expects everyone else to get out of his way in the reverse situation. He was never in a position to take the inside into turn 2. The only way he gets in there is if Lewis takes some ridiculous avoiding line and waves him by.

I've seen a lot of comments giving him some stick for not bothering to check on Lewis after driving over the top of him, which I guess is sort of fair. But then, Lewis trying to reverse his car out from underneath Max's, while Max is climbing out, really wasn't great either.

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I think there are inconsistencies in the stewards decision, Max was up (not totally) alongside Lewis going into the first turn. I just think the punishment should have been the race ending for both and leave it as a racing incident. Both could have avoided it.

It’s insane that if either pit stop was a second shorter it wouldn’t have happened.

I’ve also read that Max was planning to take the new engine for Sochi so I don’t think it matters in the end, I’m more unhappy with the way the stewards framed the incident.

Joe4th and bigmike like this.
  6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I just thought it was a 50/50 racing incident. I don’t think every crash needs to be investigated and punished.

imthesheriff, Joe4th, bigmike and 2 others like this.
  7. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I saw that as well, but giving the benefit of the doubt, I don’t think Lewis could see that Max was getting out when he was trying to reverse. Just a heat of the moment thing and hoping he could get back into the race, if he took the time to think he more than likely wouldn’t have tried it.

MrCon likes this.
  8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

9. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

See, to me, that shows Max was at fault. He's gone for a closing gap (he knows how people take that corner) and has done so assuming the leading car will move out of his way. At a more shallow corner where the leading car would be less disadvantaged by doing that, that's more understandable, but it doesn't make much sense here.

I also think the FIA/stewards have given themselves such a stupid position to maintain with the whole 'giving the space' rule. It's like they've got the punishment for Sunday backwards. If you have to leave space for a car that's alongside, then Max should have been in trouble for lap 1 and maybe Lewis for the crash (although Max wasn't quite as alongside).

I'm really not sure how I feel about the whole thing of being able to run another driver wide around the outside anyway. On longer sweeping corners it looks alright (Hungary turn 1, for example), but through chicanes particularly, it just looks kind of shit and clumsy and like drivers are barging each other off the road.

Nick likes this.
  10. Platy

Sam

If they didn't collide, Max would have run Hamilton off the track on the exit of turn 2.

MrCon likes this.
  11. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I haven’t really cared about NASCAR in years now, but I think it’s WILD that they aren’t going to start the season in Daytona next year.

disambigujason and Joe4th like this.
  12. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Are they going to have a full field on that track? That track will be crazy tiny.

Also, NASCAR should be more like the V8 Supercars series in Australia; cooler looking cars, and focus more on road courses

13. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

It’ll be like a quarter mile. It’s also a non points race, so the 500 still will be the official start. Super curious to see how this work though haha

14. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Scoob, MrCon, Nick and 1 other person like this.
  15. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Missed qualifying watching the football. Uh what the fuck.

Joe4th likes this.
  16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Wow what a result. Norris, Sainz, George top 3 in Quali.

Joe4th likes this.
  17. Platy

Sam

I missed it too, McLaren hype!

Joe4th likes this.
  18. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Bottas is taking a new engine, again and starting near the rear :chin:

19. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Hoping for good results from Lando, Checo, Vettel, George.

20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Verstappen's battery draining on the formation lap. This could be spicy.

21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Rain in the last 8 laps! Christ this is exciting for Sochi

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

this is an insane ending. Norris and Hamilton staying out?

Hamilton has pitted and Norris hasn't. think Norris has fucked it.

23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This is so crazy; no way Norris wins this now

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

And Hamilton leads with 2 laps left

25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Norris slides off. I'm devastated.