Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Motorsports (NASCAR, F1, etc) Discussion Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by MrCon, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Chris289

Regular

I also like www.motorsport.com for all around news too. How is COTA? That uphill to T1 looks pretty crazy on TV, not sure I'm thrilled with the rest of the circuit. I was really hoping the F1 race in Jersey would have happened since I live in CT. My home track is Lime Rock. I live 45mins south and work 10 mins away from it. Been to all sorts of great races there.

2. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I stand corrected!

I suspect Kvyat has still got a seat because of the Russian backing. There's so little point in him going back to STR.

3. TotesAndGoats

Bear

I don't think Kvyat is a necessarily "paid" seat. He's part of the Red Bull development program which loans drivers out to STR. So I imagine his option was switch seats with Verstapen or go find a drive somewhere else. I don't think he has enough funding to go somewhere else. Maybe Manor.

4. MrCon

Oh no. I'm not suggesting he's a pay driver in the same way others are. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something political making him a little harder to shift though. The Russian GP is a big deal for Russia. They're using it to promote Sochi as a Black Sea resort and I believe there's some seriously heavy state funding behind it. I'm unsure whether it's also a big deal for them to keep a Russian driver in the field.

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah COTA is great; great viewing spots all around the track. Turn 1 though is awesome; lots of lawn viewing space, so you can see all the cars coming up towards the turn, downshifting and loud noises and all that. Never been out east, so haven't been to Lime Rock, but looks like a fun little track. Would be sweet to have a big go-kart race on that track

6. Ferrari333SP May 8, 2016
    (Last edited: May 9, 2016)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Anybody catch the World Endurance Championship 6 Hours of Spa? Was on Saturday; some fantastic racing, with Audi, Porsche, and Toyota all battling the whole 6 hours, along with a great battle in P2, and a Ferrari/Ford/Aston Martin battle in GTE-Pro. I'm soooo stoked for the LeMans 24 Hours this year

Last hour and a half of the race

7. TotesAndGoats

Bear

I really need to just shell out the $30 or whatever so I can watch the live races and the replays through the app.

Or wait until they hit a streaming site.

8. Ferrari333SP May 9, 2016
    (Last edited: May 11, 2016)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I'll probably do that for LeMans; I'm not going to be around my computer or a TV for a good portion of this year's race, so I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the App to follow the race

But someone has now posted the full Spa race(including qualifying) on Youtube

9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Dang, those WEC videos keep getting taken down

F1 in Barcelona this weekend

10. MrCon

I didn't realise they were back in Europe so soon. I always think Canada is before Europe, but for some reason they do Spain, Monaco, Canada and then like 5 Euro races in a row. Bizarre.

11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

So that was a boring race; at least we had a different winner for a change

If only Ferrari and Mercedes went WEC racing instead

12. MrCon

I'm amazed that Lauda was so quick to blame Hamilton. I don't think it's an incident which is so simple to apportion blame for.

13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Hamilton saw the gap, so was right to go for the gap. Rosberg moved away from the racing line to block him, but was too late with the block. You could say it was a racing incident, but a majority of the blame lays with Rosberg

14. MrCon

I'd largely agree with that. Hamilton was aggressive, but once he gets some part of his car alongside, Rosberg can't just keep going across. I guess it all happened at 170mph though. Sort of hard to be too harsh. Arguably, once Rosberg had started pulling hard to the right, Hamilton could have cut under him and gone back to the left. That being said, Rosberg would have probably just run him out of road as they exited the corner though.

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Anybody watch the Nurburgring 24 Hours over the weekend? Fantastic racing with some amazing cars

16. Chris289

Regular

Anyone going to check out the NASCAR race at Sonoma this weekend? I love those cars on road courses. My wife and I planned to go to California this year to check it out as part of an early 3 year anniversary. We honeymooned in Napa. Buuuut, we are expecting in 4 weeks. Anyway, really looking forward to it and IndyCar returning to Road America. Fun day of road racing in the States.

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

IndyCar at Road America should be fun to watch

LeMans 24 Hours last weekend was fantastic too; heartbreak for Toyota as their leading car lost power with 5(!) minutes left in the race, handing the victory to Porsche

18. Chris289

Regular

Oh man, I felt so bad for the Toyota guys. Just complete heartbreak.

19. Chris289

Regular

In NASCAR news, Dale Earnhardt, Jr will miss the race this weekend in New Hampshire due to concussion like symptoms. IF he can't go at Indy next week, Jeff Gordon will come out of retirement to drive the 88.

20. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Not a bad stand-in

If only Nascar reverted to just doing road-courses, a la V8 Supercars in Australia. It's basically the same series, but done on road courses throughout Australia/New Zealand.

21. Chris289

Regular

NASCAR really needs more of them. Some of the best races of their season are RC races.

22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

23. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

4 year bump. Anyone watching this Austria GP? What a hilarious mess. 7 retirements so far and the two Merc’s have gearbox sensor issues.

Kimi’s retirement was hilarious/scary. His wheel just said “fuck it I’m out”

24. Platy

Sam

I turned it off when I thought the Mercs were just going to run off into the distance, but things have gotten interesting again.

Hamilton should get penalised for the contact with Albon.

25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

5 second penalty. Followed by 5 seconds to Pérez.

9 retirements now.