Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Motorsports (NASCAR, F1, etc) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by MrCon, Apr 4, 2016.

1. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

We got any other F1 fans in here? The racing might be a bit dire up top, but there's plenty going on in this utter mess of a sport!

For starters, the whole quali situation is an utter disgrace.

What on earth is a Stoffel?

I know there's a huge American contingent here. How pleased are you with Haas? Perhaps they'll finally drag F1 into living rooms across the states?

pachyderm likes this.
  2. Platy

Sam

I'm an F1 fan, but I feel a general motorsport thread might be better suited to this place?

The sport is so badly run at the moment, it's a huge joke. I'm hoping Rosberg wins it all this year, and we get some exciting battles through the field.

3. MrCon

I probably just missed that there's a general motorsport thread. :D

I don't much care for Rosberg, but if he drives best, he deserves it.

That being said, I don't think he could have had any more luck in these first few races. China was ridiculous. Hamilton's engine dies in Q1 on top of a gear box failure. He then gets punted at the first corner (again). The Ferraris took each other out and then to really compound it, Ricciardo suffered a tire failure.

The sport is an absolute disgrace. The sooner Bernie is out of the picture, the better.

4. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I know nothing about F1 but could try to get into it. My only foray into it so far is forza 6 :P
    I'm a big NASCAR fan though so I'd be a participant in a general Motorsport thread if there is one.

5. MrCon

I totally misread what Platy said. I thought he was suggesting there already was a general motor sport thread.

A general thread may work, but it may just be a collection of people talking about the discipline they follow, with no interest in any others. I don't really know how popular motor sport is amongst the user base here.

6. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Fyi, I've changed the thread title to just be general motorsports thread.

Platy likes this.
  7. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

For those interested, solid race at talladega so far

8. MrCon

I happened to be in Alabama last week and one of the guys at the company was going to that. From what those guys were saying, it sounds like quite an experience to go to Talladega.

9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I've never been, but it's certainly on the bucket list. Yesterday's race would have been a fun one to go to. Wrecks all over the place, and a couple airborne cars.

10. Platy

Sam

Anyone watch the F1 race this weekend?

11. Chris289

Regular

I caught some of it but had to run out with the wife. Was able to watch Talladega though. Was definitely an interesting race. My interest in F1 has definitely gone up this year with HAAS there.

12. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Where would one watch F1 in the states?

13. Chris289 May 2, 2016
    (Last edited: May 2, 2016)
    Chris289

Regular

What do you mean? Like on TV? It's on NBC Sports Network early Sunday mornings.

14. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Huh. Didn't know that. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

15. MrCon

I had the bulk of the race on in the background. It wasn't the best really. Some good action in the midfield, but it's just too easy for Rosberg at the front currently.

There was an article out the other day which said that Mercedes have changed the garage teams around. So the engineers who were on Nico's car last year are now on Lewis' and vice versa. Makes you wonder whether the unreliability of Hamilton's car is due to him now having a worse pit crew or whether he is just being massively unlucky.

16. TotesAndGoats

Bear

If it has wheels, an engine, and they keep score...I probably follow it. (Shout out to any other members of the collective.)

I think if Ferrari could survive the first lap, they could probably bring a solid fight to Mercedes. Unfortunately, they just don't have the pace to out qualify them.

WEC is where the real excitement is though. Le Mans is going to be a hoot this year.

17. MrCon

It's hard to say whether the Ferraris are actually close or not. Mercedes haven't had to defend anything yet, so we don't really know if we've seen them running at capacity.

18. Platy

Sam

I don't think Ferrari will challenge Mercedes any time soon. Vettel might have had a good battle with Hamilton if Kvyat wasn't out to get him.

19. TotesAndGoats

Bear

I'm willing to bet that Kvyat's approach changes a little bit, especially since Vettel went straight to Horner with his concerns.

20. jmitch0906

Quorn

Well I would imagine he may have lost the opportunity to stay on at RBR. Max is going to definitely be taking a seat in a year or 2. Kyvat pulled the same move in China and ignored any criticism, then did it again in Sochi except this time the other cars couldn't get out of his way.

21. MrCon

He managed to take out Ricciardo second hand as well, which won't have done his reputation any good.

22. Platy

Sam

Rumours that Verstappen and Kvyat are swapping seats for the next race.

23. MrCon

I'd be surprised if that happens. The Red Bull outfit tend to be pretty unfeeling when scrapping their young drivers. If they were to move Kvyat out of the Red Bull seat, I don't imagine he'd go back into Torro Rosso. I expect they'd bring one of their other youngsters through.

Didn't one of the Torro Rosso drivers get dumped mid season once before?

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

F***, how did I miss this thread. I'm a huggeeee motorsports nut; have been into racing since I was a little kid. Starting out with Nascar, but then after seeing a magazine with a BMW LMP sportscar on the cover, and then buying that magazine, I become hooked on sportscar racing, like LeMans, TUDOR United Sportscar Championship, Pirelli World Challenge, Blancpain Endurance Series, etc. Also into the WTCC(World Touring Car Championship), VLN series, V8 Supercars, etc. Went to Road America in Wisconsin every year from 2002 - 2009 to see the annual American LeMans Series race there; also went to the first F1 race in Austin, Texas back in 2012, which was amazing.

My favorite sites for staying up to date on motorsport news are:

www.autosport.com
    www.racer.com
    www.sportscar365.com

25. Platy

Sam

The Kvyat/Verstappen swap is confirmed. What a joke.