Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Motion City Soundtrack Band • Page 95

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 9, 2016.

1. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

another amazing song from that era.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I have full HQ of that song if you need it

3. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I really like “So Long, Farewell”

I feel it’s a super underrated song.

4. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

That's a great one too

Honestly it's really hard to think of a truly terrible b-side from them.

5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I can't even think of Not Asking You to Leave and The Worst Part as B-sides they feel integral to the album. Like an epilogue after the title track

6. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Also their cover of Limbeck’s “The Sun Woke The Whole State” is fantastic.

7. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

That is one of my all-time favorite lyrics.

MegT585, SpyKi and Vase Full Of Rocks like this.
  8. AshlandATeam Jul 2, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 2, 2020)
    AshlandATeam

Trusted

Conversations like this just make me think I’m not really a MCS fan. I’d absolutely take Go (Which I think is basically perfect) over CTTM and IATM. I just think the songwriting is way more mature, and the themes are way more relatable. For me, anyway. I always thought MCS got better - Dinosaur Life, Go, Panic Stations - all of those are improvements over their 2000s output for me.

But also... who am I to argue with Justin? If he says it was lackluster or however it was worded, how can I tell him he’s wrong?

MCS was a Mount Rushmore type band for me during their last several years. But I fear I never actually understood them the way they wanted me to.

9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Oooh that's interesting!

I like Go just fine, but CTTM - MDL is definitely my favorite run.

Panic Stations has grown on me, but I was pretty disappointed in it when it came out.

10. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

You're a fan if you like their music. ANY of their music. It doesn't matter to me if it's one song or the whole discography. If you find a connection or something relatable and enjoy it, that's all that matters. I'm sure the band would say something similar.

Don't let the idea of "these are the popular albums, this is the REAL MCS" get in your head because it's bullshit.

You're definitely a fan!

The Grey Man and ramomcferno like this.
  11. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

I’m the opposite lol. IATM and CTTM are both great and then I think they got worse progressively.

12. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I've never really gotten into anything anything past My Dinosaur Life but I do really enjoy his solo album In The Drink. All this talk though I think I'll revisit their last two albums to see if anything has changed.

13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Happy Anniversary is such a great and touching song from Go. It’s a good MCS record. It’s was nice to hear them do something slightly different like that.

14. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Did you happen to find MCS well into the career? Or did you find they finally hooked you once MDL came out?

I like their first 3 album much more than the last 3 but I still consider myself a mega fan, don't see why you should feel any different feeling the reverse of that.

Also MDL is Justin's 2nd favorite album as of 5 years ago

Rank Your Records: Motion City Soundtrack's Justin Pierre Rates the Band's Five Albums

15. sammyboy516 Jul 4, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 5, 2020)
    sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

YES! Easily their best b-side and an extreme head scratcher that it wasn’t on the album. I have always loved that song and am shocked more people don’t talk about it.

Also, as for the discussion around Go, I liked it when it came out but found it underwhelming/a little disappointing. It’s grown on me a lot over the years. It also came out right around the time my grandmother died and I think it helped me deal with those feelings.

16. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Last Night is one of my favorite MCS songs and this was a really cool fun fact

17. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

that's really amazing

studskalny likes this.
  18. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, this was an awesome read!

He recently had surgery so he's been having some downtime and responding to a bunch of tweets. He also gave information on his new record which was super cool.

studskalny likes this.
  19. The Grey Man

Newbie Supporter

The talk about bsides and rarities reminded me of how much I loved the MCS song "Always Running Out of Time" from the film "Almost Alice." Never saw the film but listened to this song on repeat in 2010.

.K., Slangster and Vase Full Of Rocks like this.
  20. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

JoshShulkin and The Grey Man like this.
  21. DaveyA89

I was a huge fan of “The Worst Part” off an inspired by Superman Returns soundtrack

.K. and Vase Full Of Rocks like this.
  22. The Grey Man

Newbie Supporter

I almost certain I am in that crowd somewhere. It was the only time I got to see them play but it was so good.

23. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

what he say abt solo LP2?

24. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

He says if he has to guess it'll be out 2022

25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think it’s cool that Brett Gurewitz is working with Justin on this. Also, it’s feels like a long while before this one is done too. Looking forward to it though.