Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Motion City Soundtrack Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

This is cool for anyone in the San Diego area. As of now I plan on being there

2. that's really cool

3. SmithBerryCrunch May 3, 2016
    (Last edited: May 3, 2016)
    SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This band has been kind of hit or miss for me. Never really got into them, but I think I like MDL more than any of their other albums. I don't listen to them too much though.

The synth line of Pulp Fiction is so fun.

4. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Fought back tears during Time Turned Fragile last night. That song hits hard these days.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  5. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

This is going to be a very long, rant-filled, self indulgent post so bare with me

I'm going to really miss this band. They mean so, so much to me, I've never felt so close to a set of musicians as I do with these guys. The relatability and just thier overall songwriting chops and overflowing talents is perfect. They've always felt like the best parts of The Cure, Weezer, and The Weakerthans thrown together but still doing something unique. I've been struggling with coming to terms with their disbandment, which I know sounds ludicrous but I just cant believe that a band that has brought me so much comfort isnt going to be there anymore. Its a heartbreaking realization, much like the one in "Hold Me Down" but I'm still so thankful for everything theyve done. From the youthful rage and almost post-hardcore aggression of IATM to the tried but true feeling in Panic Stations, all 6 records fill me with so many emotions. I just, idk. I just cant express how much I'm going to miss these guys.

RIP Motion City Soundtrack, thank you for everything.

Jake Z and jordalsh like this.
  6. hallowblue

There's a monster under all this tulle;

In the ten years I've been listening to CTTM it just finally hit me how positive L.G. FUAD is.

7. CoffeeEyes17

its so fascinating how Justin completely deconstructs himself but then caps it all off with basically an "I'll be fine in the end" type of sentiment.

8. CoffeeEyes17

Also I always forget just how dark "Hangman" is. I've heard its about the music industry but its always struck me as the low point in Justins life around the time CTTM was recorded. Suicide and substance dependency allusions are abound.

CTTM is just perfect. The other 5 records are stellar in their own right, but CTTM is really next level. For me, its knocked TDAG out of my top 3 records.

Jake Z likes this.
  9. hallowblue

There's a monster under all this tulle;

I interviewed him as part of my college radio station's promotion for an on campus event in 2008 and he said those exact words when I brought up the song and how my school pretty much said in their contract that they couldn't play it - he kept saying that song has such a bad rap because everyone thinks it's just about getting fucked up. It's really cool to see how this song has evolved for me over the last decade and just makes so much more sense to me.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  10. Jake Z

Regular

Great post man. Couldn't agree more and have the same feelings-it's like it hasn't hit me as to what the impact is going to be. Or maybe it has and I'm in complete denial. Either way, this scene is going to have a huge void when they are gone. A truly unique, once in a generation band for me.

And yes, CTTM is perfection.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  11. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Saw the farewell tour last night, it was a great show. They didn't address the break up almost at all which I thought was odd but it was an awesome show. Really going to miss this band, their breakup is very emotional for me.

12. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

The other day I was listening to them and just got super sad. They mean so much to me and I don't want them to end. :(

Same thing happened with MCR last night after your tweets. I get so depressed sometimes listening to MCR now, haha.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  13. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah like it's kind of embarrassing but I tear up listening to these guys sometimes. Really going to miss them.

14. SpyKi

I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a good amount the day MCR broke up, haha.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  15. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Can't believe this will be the last time I see them

16. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I'll be there too! Blue hoodie, grey shirt. Say hey!

17. devenstonow

Noobie

Do we get free drinks if we're from Chorus?

irthesteve likes this.
  18. CoffeeEyes17

I wont ever forget the first time I saw the "The Future Freaks Me Out" music video. I was absolutely enthralled by the wordy, perceptive, mile a minute lyrics Justin was spewing and the synth/guitars creating this chaotic backdrop while Tonys drumming buoyed everything. Plus the "ah, fuck it" part is one of my favorite moments in any song if only because of how ridiculously charming it is.

Boy, I'm really going to miss these guys.

19. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

I saw them at the Toronto show. It was my first and (presumably) last time seeing them, despite the fact that I've been a fan since Commit This to Memory first came out. I've had a hard time processing how I felt about them calling it a day since they announced it (or rather since the rumours started) and seeing them live combined with writing out a bit of personal retrospection helped me come to terms with it and realize that even though they won't be playing together and won't be putting out new material anymore, I'm still so happy that they have such a great catalog of music that I've yet to get even a little bit tired of.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  20. CoffeeEyes17

yeah i cant stress how great their catalog is. I know people dont like Panic Stations all that much but I think its a really great record. all 6 are wonderful in their own ways. From the post-hardcore tinge of IATM to the diverse and dynamic CTTM to the pop rock perfection of EIIKM to the 90s alt rock worship of MDL to the slower indie styling of Go to the frenetic pop punk victory lap that is PS. Cant get enough of this bands music.

Also if any of you havent check out Farewell Continental. Its Justins side project, its as if they took IATM and developed that sound more and added female vocals as well. Its wonderful.

21. SpyKi

I love some FC songs but didn't love the album like I wanted to.

22. CoffeeEyes17

I do think the #2 EP is their best output but I like the album a lot too.

23. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

I prefer some MCS over other MCS but they are one of the few band where I'd be hard-pressed to name any song I truly disliked. The worst I can say about any of their tracks is that I'm indifferent to it, but I can find at least one thing to like in the vast majority of their output, and most have far more than just one.

I love Hey Hey Pioneers. I go back and listen to it all the time. I know Justin was working with the rest of FC awhile ago but nothing really came of it as far as I know. I'm hoping they'll put some more stuff out in the future.

24. CoffeeEyes17

For me the worst MCS song is "Delirium" because its just kind of annoying but it does have some redeeming qualities.

25. SpyKi

"Delirium" is probably my least favorite on MDL but I like it a lot more than "Boombox Generation" or a few songs on Panic Stations.