Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Motion City Soundtrack Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 9, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

2. CoffeeEyes17

ICYMI I wrote a whole bunch of words as to why this band and CTTM in particular mean so much to me and right now feels appropriate.

Commit This To Memory

3. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Amazing read, very well written. Glad to hear you're doing better :heart:

4. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I actually expected them to do this a few years back.

Sad.

5. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

It's definitely a bummer, but I do think at some point down the road they will either record or play more shows. I think a break is warranted. They've earned it. I think the demand for this band will increase to a point where they will want to do something like play a few shows, and who knows from there. MCS gave us a great run and I will continue to celebrate their consistent catalog.

6. Threads

Regular Prestigious

This is horrible news. Hoping there's at least one Ohio date on the farewell tour.

Listening through their whole discography tonight and I think CTTM-EIIKM-Go continues to be my MCS album trinity.

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

What a catalog. They'll be missed, for sure. "Days Will Run Away" is a pretty great period on the sentence though.

8. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

:(

9. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

So Long, Farewell Tour
    Hello, everyone!

We’re excited! Why? Perhaps you noticed our oh-so-subtle hint in the signature of our farewell announcement - or maybe you spotted rumors floating around the internetz. Well, we’ve hinted enough. We’re very excited to officially announce the return of Tony Thaxton. He’ll be playing drums for the remainder of our shows this year. It’s true!!

Now we want to take this moment to thank Claudio Rivera for all of his hard work over the last few years. We can’t even begin to convey the importance of Claudio’s presence in the band. He stepped up at a time when we needed not only a great drummer, but also a great person who could help us focus our energy on making music. We were able to write a great record together and play insanely fun shows. His positivity was definitely felt and appreciated by all of us. We love him and wish him all the best in the future.

For now, stay tuned, friends. We’ll be announcing more tour dates very soon! Sign up to our email list HERE so you don’t miss a beat. Get it? Beat? Drums. Oh, never mind.

Love,
    Josh, Justin, Jesse, Matt, and Tony

10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Oh hey Eva, I wonder if you're gonna go to that show or not

iplaydrums likes this.
  11. Meerkat

My kidneys are currently for sale if you know anyone in need

12. I've been revisiting Panic Stations a lot since the news and it's a lot better than I remembered.

13. You should because I think EIIKM and Dinosaur Life are better

14. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

I was so sad when I saw everybody's disappointment with "Panic Stations". I'll probably be lynched for this, but it's probably my third favourite MCS album. Glad you are liking it more than you initially did.

15. CoffeeEyes17

All 6 records and the b-sides are wonderful.

PS was a great album, retroactively it would be in my top 5 of 2015. Go and IATM are my tied for 2, they're both opposite ends of MCSs sound and they work perfectly. EIIKM and MDL are also excellent with EIIKM having some of Justin's best lyrics and MDL essentially being CTTM part 2 just not as good. What a band. RIP

16. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

I never got to see them live, which I will forever kick myself for. I was hoping the UK might get a few farewell dates, but I can't see it happening.

17. I've been going through the band's entire discography and it's so goddamn solid

18. Like I know I Am The Movie and Commit This To Memory are the band's most beloved and popular releases but I think being a 30 year old now those albums fall towards the middle and end of the rankings for me / I might prefer Panic Stations over CTTM over time

for me it's EIIKM > MDL > CTTM = PS > IATM > Go

19. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I still think Commit is their best album, but otherwise my rankings are pretty darn similar to Drew.

CTTTM > EIIKM > MDL > IATM > PS > Go

20. Meerkat

I always forget how great "Broken Heart" is until it comes on and I lose my mind over every aspect of it

21. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

CTtM and EIIKM are definitely the peak. But Go isn't that far behind, and I like all their records.

Craig Manning likes this.
  22. Go is severely underrated - I remember they wrote that album with the goal of being signed to a label like Merge or Matador

their albums always age so well with me even if they don't hit me right away. Being the age I am now the musical stylings of the band's last four albums are really right up my ally especially the last two.

23. cshadows2887

I think part of what colored people's reactions to Go was just exhaustion. They had SO much hype in the MDL cycle that it was almost inevitable.

Yeah I definitely think Panic Stations is their weakest on a songcraft level, especially lyrically, but it's badness was way overstated to me. Being the weakest MCS record is still a hell of a record.

24. I'm falling more in love with Panic Stations the more I listen to it / I think it just released at a time when so much was coming out that I never spent the proper amount of time with it.

I still think Go is my least favorite record but I also don't revere I Am The Movie like most people.

25. cshadows2887

I'm with you there. I do like it and it has a few of my favorite songs of theirs ("Perfect Teeth", "My Favorite Accident", "The Future Freaks Me Out") but it's still a little raw melodically and in terms of songwriting.