Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Motion City Soundtrack Band • Page 127

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Sometimes I think the sound of a cassette actually can help.

For example, I’m in a lofi pop punk band, so the lower audio quality of a tape actually fits the aesthetic I’m going for. Old 80s and 90s bands, it feels right to listen to them on cassette too.

But like, I’d never choose to listen to something like Sigur Ros on cassette. That’d be like downloading a 128 kbps MP3 of “Hoppipola.” Makes me shudder. Haha.

popdisaster00 and Bartek T. like this.
  2. RedDotRecording

Record Engineer/Producer. Musician. Coffee Punk.

As an additional consideration: I think some of y'all forgot how low on cash people can be.

Not too long ago I asked a guy I know who runs a small label about the tape resurgence and why they're making tapes. "Kids just have no money, man. They're driving old cars. CD players stopped working or were never in 'em. Thrift shops have tape players and walkmans. They're inheriting their grandparents' tape player stereo systems. They can't buy a phone with enough memory for more than a couple records if any at all. But they love music and it's the only thing keeping them alive. So we're going to find a way to give it to them in a way they can afford."

3. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Said, “fuck it,” and bought all three tapes.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  4. I'm leaning most towards IATM. That one makes the most "sense" to have on cassette, to me.

Aaron Mook and SpyKi like this.
  5. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Why did they never release that song they recorded for that last tour, or the alternate version of IATM? Are they saving it for something?

.K. and bradsonemanband like this.
    .K. likes this.
  7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Good questions. I’ve been wondering about that song.

8. razorburn

Trusted

Bartek T. likes this.
  9. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

He was on how did we get weird recently and he talked a bit about that. Glad that he’s doing it, good luck to him.

Bartek T. likes this.
  10. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

What was the instagram post about? It says it’s been deleted

11. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

I can still read it in this thread a few posts above

12. razorburn

Trusted

"After attempting to write (and rewrite) a post about my newest EP (that I forgot to promote upon its release a week ago) nearly twenty times (with little to no improvement), I figure an entirely new approach is warranted. Especially under the circumstances. So here it is, the no frills version, along with a bunch of photos from my life over the last few months ( link in bio):

As I post this I am currently at the end of day 4 of what will be a three week stay at an intensive psychiatric program (this is me just ripping off the bandaid). I haven’t been well for a while, and quite possibly my entire lifetime (more on that to come). After my initial 15 days is up, I hope to be directed to another more specialized program which may last anywhere from 4-8 weeks. I’m still sober and I’m still me (as much as anyone who is not really self aware can ever be certain of a thing like that). But I’m finding that my relationship to things that once felt fully understood no longer make a whole lot of sense to me, and that has become unsettling.

I am eternally grateful to my wife for being such a non stop positive force that never lets up, and continuing to have hard conversations, and making shit happen. This is what love looks like. I am also thankful for all the family and friends pitching in to help my wife and kid while I’m off getting my brain and body worked on. And I am thankful to you for digging what I do (or have done), whatever your fucked up reasoning is for doing so.

Back to the EP… I set out to make a second solo record in 2020. That didn’t happen. So Instead I made 4 EP’s. I was always going to record this project in this particular way, the only difference being that it was going to be one full length instead of 4 EP’s (inspired by Bob Pollard’s sonic collage style GBV recordings of the early ‘90s). All the songs are connected. The story is all there. These EP’s are 4 very specific pieces of a much greater whole. But I don’t have the energy to get into it right now, and it’s far more exciting to plug your own ideas into another’s work and see what speaks to you (or not).

Although I am interested to know what YOUR track order would be if you had to use all 20 songs and come up with a side one and side two that flows and makes sense. Please, no “Use Your Illusion” or “Melancholy And The Infinite Sadness” jokes, because I am feeling emotionally fragile.

Last thing: Many thanks to all the hard working folks that spent many hours on this EP over the course of almost a full year (especially after I fucked up the first go at making this happen and nearly shelved the entire thing). Thank you for your patience and musicianship. Here are the names and offerings of the main geniuses involved. You should look them up and work with them if you ever get the chance.

Justin Courtney Pierre (Vocal, Guitar, Organ)
    Lydia Liza - (Guitar, Vocal)
    Josh McKay - (Drums)
    Alex Bennett - (Bass)
    Luke Zimmerman - (Various Keyboards, Ethereal Bliss)
    Max Pierre - (Vocal, Heckler)

Jacob Carlson (Producer, Engineer, An Assortment Of Various Instruments)
    Chris Shaw (Mixing Engineer)
    Mark Chalecki (Mastering Engineer)

Justin Ewert - (Photography)
    Justin San Souci - (Artwork)"

13. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Aaron Mook likes this.
  14. Ughhh...been trying to be careful with my spending lately, but should also probably cop that with my Bandbox edition of CTTM coming soon. Hmmm.

SpeckledSouls and Supernova like this.
  15. Atticus5143

Trusted

16. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Hmm, very cool. Honestly didn't even check. I'm in no rush on one, but I do want a cool variant with ideally original artwork.

17. Iain

Regular

Want it. But wish someone in UK would stock it.

18. Smee22

Regular

Bandbox has one

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

is Commit This To Memory an overrated album for the 2000s scene, or has it aged well over the past 17 years?

20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Both imo

21. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I think it's aged well but it's in my top 3 or so albums ever so...

irthesteve and SpyKi like this.
  22. I literally just posted a story/tweet yesterday asking if a 2000s scene act/album has aged better than that one lol

Jimmy Eat World is too easy of an answer. Circa Survive's Juturna is up there. But no, it is not overrated. Wonderful record

23. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Yeah I guess it’s not an either/or question.
    LMAO this is definitely inspired by @Leftandleaving ’s response.

I was just curious about what everyone thinks.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

CTTM is underrated if anything.

Greg, Aaron Mook, SpyKi and 2 others like this.