Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Motion City Soundtrack Band • Page 101

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 9, 2016.

1. yes

TJ Wells likes this.
  2. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

New song from Justin from his upcoming EP. It's called "Footsteps" and the EP is looking pretty good so far.

Fletchaaa likes this.
  3. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Good song, who typed up those lyrics though Lmao

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

If someone told me this was a MCS EP, I would believe them, enjoy:

Gnarly Charlie and Fletchaaa like this.
  5. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

crazy how fully Commit This To Memory holds up after all this time. one of the best records ever, in or outside of its genre.

6. Cody

also took me until this most recent listen to realize that the 'grey cell green' referred to in "Make Out Kids" is actually a song...

elphshelf and SpyKi like this.
  7. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Justin's new EP is alright. There just aren't the hooks or the lyrics I really love from MCS, but there's some good stuff to be found in there.

SpyKi and bradsonemanband like this.
  8. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I feel the same, its good not great. Illumination is probably the highlight for me.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  9. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

I think one of the reasons I’ve been able to continuously enjoy this band into my 30’s is the lack of extremely immature/misogynistic lyrics.

10. Cody

I agree with this to a certain extent but there is a a rampant “sad sack”-ness that permeates the whole discography and it almost begins to turn me off after extended listens

11. SpyKi

Thats part of why I love them so much lol. They always seem to be laced with the right amount of humour and positive optimism.

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

The self-deprecation with a side of humor is what I love most about Justin's lyrics. He's written a lot of my favorite lyrics ever

13. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I don't see it.

Brent and popdisaster00 like this.
  14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

MCS is one of the few bands to come out of that early 00s era pretty much entirely unscather in terms of lyrical content

15. cherrywaves

Trusted

I mean I definitely get it, but I think he injects enough humor to keep things from dragging.

Vase Full Of Rocks and elphshelf like this.
  16. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Go is the only album that I think has a wobbly mix of darkness and levity

17. Cody

I mean, I am absolutely a big fan, don’t get me wrong. I love the lyrical style for the most part, it’s def unique and most of his lines are evocative, resonant or thoughtful in some capacity, often reaching devastating and brilliant in one fell swoop. I more mean that his particular style of self-hate has really stuck around for like 20 years now and that kinda bums me out on his behalf, I guess. I think I resonated too hard with the words he said as I suffered similar problems to his in my early 20s. having gotten through (some of) them I feel like my mindset and internal monologue has changed and so as his lyrics stay somewhat the same in tone, they hit a bit differently given that. But hey who tf am I. Not him, I know that much! I should prolly lay off

18. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I'm 31 and I actually feel way more relatable to his lyrics now compared to when I was younger. I hate myself so much more now and find myself way more lost.

elphshelf likes this.
  19. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

36 here. His lyrics hit harder every year.

20. SpyKi

I get what you're saying but I also think his lyrics have evolved. They're no longer quite as self destructive say as they were on something like CTTM even if they are still self critical. I think that's just the way his mind works.

DaveyA89 and Vase Full Of Rocks like this.
  21. They’ve blacked out some things on social media…

bradsonemanband likes this.
  22. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Yes yes yes. I'm so ready for new stuff.

.K. likes this.
  23. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Official site is also now just the band logo!

Gianni28, .K. and Vase Full Of Rocks like this.
  24. [​IMG]

Gianni28, astereo, elphshelf and 2 others like this.
  25. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Lfggggg