Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Motion City Soundtrack Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 9, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Motion City Soundtrack is a pop/rock/emo band from Minessota. They've released 6 studio albums and their sophomore album Commit This To Memory turned ten last year. Discuss how great this band is.

So, Commit This To Memory is one of the most important albums to have ever graced my ears. 2015 was a very rough year for me, a very dark and tumultuous time and CTTM was a comforting presence during that time. Seeing the band perform the album live and spending time with some of my favorite people was a much needed pick me up. There aren't many other albums that can get me quite as emotional as CTTM does. Not to take away from the rest of the bands discography because the other releases are excellent, but CTTM is an album that literally saved my life.

I got some blood stains from wearing my heart on my sleeve so let me wipe that off. Sorry for the rambling post. Band means the world to me.

2. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

I love CTTM but I can't deny that I think My Dinosaur Life is better.

3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I must have thought this thread already existed otherwise I would have made a thread, ha.

CTTM is way better than MDL. EIIKM is their best though.

4. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

CTTM is perhaps one of the most overrated scene staples to me, but I'm clearly in the minority there. More power to you if you love it. I'm much more into their poppier material, EIIKM and Go >>>

5. SpyKi

I still think it's one of the better scene staples. Like I'd take it over any Yellowcard/NFG/blink/FOB/ATL/Thrice/BrandNew albums.

6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

CTTM is easily one of my favorite albums to come out of the scene's golden days

7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Whoa whoa whoa. Crazy talk. I honestly think I'd take at least two albums from each of those bands over CTTM (except Thrice, not a huge Thrice fan).

8. SpyKi

tbf I'm not exactly a big fan of any of those bands, I only really love maybe 3/4 albums out of all of them. CTTM is one of my all time favourites though.

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah that makes sense, I like half those bands way more than MCS.

10. irthesteve

The only bands from that list with a chance against CTTM are Brand New and Blink, for me. Deja and untitled.

11. PyramidPostcard

avocado squirrel rides again Prestigious

CTTM is easily my favorite Motion City album, but honestly they're pretty consistent so I don't hate any of their albums.

12. SpyKi

Same although I don't like Deja, I'd pick TDAG. CTTM still wins pretty handily.

13. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I'm all about Even If It Kills Me. I love Commit This To Memory as well, but there's something extra in EIIKM that I can't really explain. Almost an extra layer of honesty maybe. Which isn't to take away from the honesty of Justin's lyrics before that album, but EIIKM felt markably more emotional to me.

14. SpyKi

I can see that. How much I connect to EIIKM is a big part of the reason I love it so much.

15. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Almost sure they're gonna announce a last tour soon, I've heard some rumors...

16. irthesteve

Yeah, Jason said the same thing over on AP I think. I saw them this past year and they still sounded great, I think they could put on a really fun final tour. For some reason they always felt like a band that would last forever to me

17. why did I think they already announced some sort of ending?

maybe it was a dream

18. SpyKi

I don't want them to stop. :(

19. PyramidPostcard

avocado squirrel rides again Prestigious

If that's true, I'm extra glad I went to the CTTM anniversary tour then :(

20. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

Commit This to Memory > all. Time Turned Fragile > all.

21. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

@Spencer Control That drum part at the end of "Time Turned Fragile" is something else

22. SpyKi

second half of TTF destroys me.

23. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

yep, the last two minutes guts me every time i hear it

24. irthesteve

Their 4-album shows was some of the most fun I've had at a show, listening to all those front to back live was something else

cshadows2887 likes this.
  25. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Judging everyone in this thread whose favorite record isn't Memory.