Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

mother! (Darren Aronofsky, September 15, 2017) Movie • Page 13

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 14, 2017.

1. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Should I still see it?

2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I’d say it’s worth watching at least once.

Colin Your Enthusiasm likes this.
  3. Dog with a Blog

Yes and no. Art can and does speak for itself. But taking the artist's life into account and applying that to their work is a legitimate lens of critical theory. I guess that's what's so fascinating about art. You can look at it through one lens and it'll mean one thing and then look at through another lens and it'll mean something else.

However, no matter what lens I watch this move through, all I see is doo-doo.

4. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, I can only speak for myself obviously, but I think art is meant to have a visceral reaction upon experiencing it and going into it with a predisposed dislike of the artist doesn’t seem fair to the art itself. Especially if you or whoever doesn’t like the artist for unrelated reasons.

That’s just me though. I don’t get that, unless they’re some kind of horrendous asshole like Spacey or the like. I can get that.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  5. Dog with a Blog

Oh yeah, that I agree with. Regardless of whether or not you like and artist, it is always possible they will create something that you end up enjoying. And that's definitely happened for me (more with music but probably with film as well). I more thought you were talking about analysis of art, not necessarily enjoyment.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  6. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

I will watch it at least once. I've had the itch to rewatch The Master lately. I should do a double bill with this one.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I definitely agree it needs to be seen at least once, it’s such a visceral experience to watch.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

You inevitably take the artist's personality and career into account because it informs what they were trying to do and accomplish. The Tree of Life can be an important and great film on its own, but it changes when you learn the autobiographical elements of the story.

With Aronofsky and mother!, knowledge of his career and belief changes it. For people that like Aronofsky's films, you can appreciate the way he tries to shock and unnerve people if you have knowledge of what he did in films like Requiem for a Dream. However, because he comes off as incredibly shallow in interviews and the philosophy of his films are barely skin deep, it fits that mother! would be interpreted that way by people who dislike the film.

EASheartsVinyl and SpyKi like this.
  9. It's not impossible to come to both conclusions, it's not really an either-or kind of thing. I liked the experience of watching the movie, but didn't particularly find its story or theme all that compelling. I generally enjoys Aronofsky's films on some level, but I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of the man himself. Same goes for Lars von Trier and Nicolas Winding Refn. Actually, I haven't really heard anything about Refn one way or the other, he just kind of makes the same type of films. Artsy fartsy shock value from guys who may or may not be assholes.

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I prefer to let art stand on its' own instead of combining it with past works or forced press interviews.

11. I know 0 things about his personality or interviews he’s done, but have. enjoyed his other movies and still thought this one was incredibly shallow

12. Kuri44

Currently watching this. Still a great fucking movie

13. Dog with a Blog

[​IMG]

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Thank you for bumping this thread though, because some of these posts are incredibly insightful regarding entirely separate discussions I’ve had here recently, lol.

15. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I still get angry thinking about this piece of shit

trevorshmevor, spiffa0, kyle and 5 others like this.
  16. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

This movie whoops ass actually

Joe, Aaron Mook and Kuri44 like this.
  17. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

One of my favs this decade.

18. flask

Trusted Supporter

Still haven’t watched this but all I’ve heard is it’s amazing or it’s trash so I think I’ll finally watch it this weekend

Aaron Mook and chewbacca110 like this.
  19. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Those are the best kinds of films lol.

Zilla, Aaron Mook and chewbacca110 like this.
  20. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

I really enjoyed it when I watched it in theaters because of how absolutely insane it is, but I’m wondering if the movie won’t have such an impact on a rewatch now that I know about all the crazy shit

21. It's a winner for sure

Kuri44 likes this.
  22. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

It’s ass.

23. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I had fun with it

Javier Bardem is amazing

24. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Plenty of people like ass, so I’m not sure if this is glowing praise or a scathing critique

SpyKi and Aaron Mook like this.
  25. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Not AS good on 2nd watch at home...but still damn good

oncenowagain likes this.