Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

mother! (Darren Aronofsky, September 15, 2017) Movie • Page 12

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 14, 2017.

1. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Yeah

2. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

Cool, glad you’ve got everything figured out for us! Far be it from anyone else besides you to have a different connection or interpretation of this film or any film.

3. Morrissey

Trusted

I'll never understand posts like this. Why does my opinion eliminate yours?

4. dlemert

Trusted

Watched this yesterday, wasn't so hot on it at first but it has NOT left my mind in the last 24 hours. The more I think about it the more I appreciate it, though I think I like the movie better in theory than in application.

However I don't think it had to go as far as it did for me to get the metaphor of it all. Man, does Aronofsky have a pessimistic view of humanity.

5. Makoto

Monafide bonafide

This film is garbage. Didn't think DA could make a worse film than Black Swan

Ken and I Am Mick like this.
  6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

stars143 likes this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Even though I liked it I'm kinda okay with this, they should make less expected choices

8. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

that's very interesting. As I've made clear, I think it's a truly awful movie but I don't know how I feel about that.

9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

TIL the Razzies are still a thing

10. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I hate this movie so fucking much

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  11. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

At least my favorite of the year got nominated for something

12. TedSchmosby

Trusted

the shining was nominated for a razzie too!! haha lol

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Aaron Mook like this.
  13. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

I still need to see this movie.

14. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I love how Mark Wahlberg is nominated for Worst Actor for 2 movies.

15. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

It's not uncommon for an actor to be nominated for multiple bad films there were in during a given year. In 2013 Sly Stallone was nominated for Bullet to the Head, Escape Plan and Grudge Match.

suicidesaints likes this.
  16. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Hahahaha. I knew I'd seen them do that before, but it still humors me.

17. The only thing this movie left me with was an irrational fear of house parties or just loud groups of people.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

It has always been disappointing when the Razzies goes after things like Adam Sandler movies or Twilight. mother! is a worthy nominee.

19. I finally watched this and wasn’t a fan. It really did nothing for me.

20. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I still think about this movie. I think that means it was good?

dlemert and Aaron Mook like this.
  21. TedSchmosby

Trusted

It’s awesome

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I still like this movie, nail me onto the cross for it

irthesteve and Aaron Mook like this.
  23. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Really want to rewatch this. Loved the theatre experience because I was behind a guy that laughed at everything.

24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I liked this quite a bit, but can't say I fully loved it because it was quite heavy handed.

I understand what he's going for with it and he really drives his point home, but I think it could have been done in a more subtle way than literally tearing a house (and baby) apart. I'm okay with realistic violence in movies if it's portraying true events correctly or if it's needed to get a message across, but I can't help but feel he went overboard in some parts.

Other than that, he knocked it out of the park for me: the acting was on point from pretty much everyone, the direction and cinematography is great as usual from him, and the idea and execution was pretty original from what I've seen.

I think my favorite part of it all is the imagery. The diamond was interesting in each scene it was featured and the origin of it was an interesting decision. The blood on the floorboard and it dripping on the lightbulb and exploding all over the wall was pretty striking.

I'm not great at putting my thoughts on paper, but I'd say 4.5 out of 5 and I'd put it probably 3rd out of the films I've seen of his, The Fountain being #1 with a bullet.

I'm interested to read this thread and elsewhere about interpretations and reactions.

SpyKi and DarkHotline like this.
  25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

People care way too much about how artists act in interviews or their real life personalities.

Just see the movie, read the book, hear the album, etc... and let the art speak for itself. If you don't like it, it's all good! Letting that other shit creep into your head and seemingly letting it affect how you view their art seems like such a waste of time to me.