Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

mother! (Darren Aronofsky, September 15, 2017) Movie • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 14, 2017.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Her plight was stupid and impossible to relate to in any human way so there was little to care about.

Makoto likes this.
  2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, no idea how anybody could possibly relate to a woman's life being ruined by a shitty egotistical man in 2017

3. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I didn’t relate to her but I certainly felt for her the whole time

secretsociety92 likes this.
  4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

First off you're wrong, and secondly I'm personally offended at your tone deaf comment

5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Seriously? People aren't allowed to dislike / not care about a FICTIONAL character?

Makoto and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  6. Morrissey

Trusted

I was personally offended by the movie. Darren Aronofsky owes me an apology and 60 dollars.

Makoto likes this.
  7. TedSchmosby

Trusted

A movie would have to be pretty fuckin incredible for one watch to be worth 60 dollars

8. Morrissey

Trusted

I was so defeated that I went out for dinner and drinks to clear my head of it. Sixty dollars roughly covers it.

SteveLikesMusic and domotime2 like this.
  9. Of course you can, I just said I didn't understand it at all

10. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

@Morrissey debating the correct use of "pretentious" among one of the most pretentious of his illustrious career of pretentious posts is rich. it's like if Slade read a book.

and i didn't even like this movie.

11. Morrissey Dec 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 27, 2017)
    Morrissey

Trusted

Why do you want to restart an argument from a few weeks ago? Pretension is a dumb word for people who can't argue in good faith. It is annoying to be tagged into a conversation that is not even about the movie.

12. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Loved the biblical stuff, but the allusions to this book were a little heavy handed
    F55E9C83-C4CF-4096-833D-2C0DFFAD6C2F.jpeg

13. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

I watched this yesterday morning to see what all the fuss was about.

That is one fucked up movie, but an amazing allegory on tons of levels, mainly bible stories, man’s hubris, the general abuse of our planet, women and children, with a fucked up OT God, presented as a creator who must keep trying again until that God gets it right. I think that can also be looked at as humans constantly creating/building new things with zero regard for our planet and the consequences of our choices. Deeply unsettling and graphic, visceral storytelling. Would never watch it again, but it isn’t a bad film. Just impossibly hard to watch. Absolutely relevant for our times, as well.

To me, it's simultaneously one of the most beautiful art films i've ever seen, with a powerful and relevant message, and also the most disturbing and unsettling/angering film i've ever seen.

When we're done destroying a part of Earth, we move on elsewhere, and end up destroying it too.

There are so many layers to the allegorical themes, too.
    While it's a very polarizing film, in 10-15 years, it'll probably be looked at as Aronofsky's masterpiece.

I don't know how JLaw doesn't get a nomination for her performance, though. My god that was tough to watch.

theagentcoma and Joel like this.
  14. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Agree with all of this, especially the bolded. I've been saying that since I watched it.

theagentcoma and atticusfinch like this.
  15. atticusfinch

Another thing that really hit home for me in this film, and I’ll spoiler it for those that haven’t watched yet:

the baby scene — people walked out of the theater over that from what I’ve seen online/read online, yet society did nothing when Sandy Hook happened. This film does such an amazing job at pointing the finger at all of us. We will walk out of a film that kills a newborn, but we won’t have common sense gun control or do anything to stop kids from being murdered in our own cities.
    It just really hit me hard, I dunno.

Aaron Mook and incognitojones like this.
  16. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

As much as Aronofsky seems like an insufferable asshole, he has made some very good films (Pi, The Wrestler, Black Swan) and some shitty ones (The Fountain, Requiem, and Noah which I haven't seen but am very comfortable assuming is awful) but this will likely stand to be his best film outside of maybe The Wrestler

17. chewbacca110

You are corrrect about the commotion of that scene. That's a great way to look at it and I love that interpretation. I thought of it more base-level as destroying something new and pure; instant perversion.

atticusfinch likes this.
  18. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I also didn't find it all that hard to watch, people are acting like it's Antichrist levels of provocation which seems kind of silly

19. chewbacca110

I agree but at the same time I watch a ton of fucked up horror movies so my personal tolerance for graphic depictions on screen is pretty high. My girlfriend on the other hand couldn't stand it, yet loved the movie.

20. atticusfinch

I dunno, I had serious issues watching a woman be kicked and beaten and called gender slurs in the baby scene in light of what’s happened in 2017 to women.

I get the metaphor was for how we constantly abuse our planet, but fuck that was brutal.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  21. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I get that and it was obviously meant to be uncomfortable, I just reject the sentiment that it's this generation's Salo or something. That being said, like @chewbacca110 my partner and I watch a lot of horror films and didn't feel it was as controversial as the media is painting it

22. atticusfinch

Well, as you know, I’m not calling it this generation’s Salo, nor am I a member of the media, but I am a human who doesn’t like to see women get beaten in any context.

With that said, yes, this movie, while divisive, is overblown in the level of controversy it’s been getting.

And to be fair to your point, I rarely watch horror films, so I’m not desensitized to some of the things that may not affect others.

23. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

To be clear, that was not directed at you! You have every right to feel uncomfortable and it was obviously the desired effect. Just saying I don't want the movie to be reduced to a talking point by the media but your reaction is entirely valid

atticusfinch likes this.
  24. Morrissey

Trusted

The baby scene was not some sort of statement on Sandy Hook or violence in general. It was a cheap way to try and shock people because of a lack of talent or perspective. That is what Aronofsky has been doing for twenty years, just taken to its extreme.

EASheartsVinyl and Makoto like this.
  25. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I figured it was just a dumb Jesus metaphor (kill the son of god and eat his flesh, drink his blood through the sacrament or whatever).

chewbacca110 and I Am Mick like this.