Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Most Overlooked Entertainment of 2018 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by riotspray, Dec 12, 2018.

1. trevorshmevor Dec 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 30, 2019)
    Music:
    It didn’t go completely under the radar, but I do feel like more people should listen to Natalie Prass. Her new record is extremely groovy and always puts me in a good mood.

Also, people on this site are either sleeping on or just don’t like Fenne Lily, and idk which is worse! Female solo artist from the UK, fantastic indie rock that’s equal parts beautiful and heartbreaking. I love her newest record more with every listen.

TV:
    Wanderlust (Netflix) completely absorbed me for a week. In a very short, regressive way of describing it, it’s a show about a couple that takes a stab at an open relationship. I promise that it’s an actually interesting take on a plot that in the wrong hands would be sickeningly by the numbers. Toni Collette is a treasure. Incredible soundtrack. It’s only 6 episodes, very digestible.

This is sort of cheating, but I can’t pass up a chance to shout out You’re The Worst. They didn’t actually have a season this year, but the final season starts in January and it’s a show that I couldn’t recommend enough over the last 4 years. It’s a really heartfelt show that tackles a lot of relatable but touchy subjects in the disguise of being a silly millennial sitcom. Seasons 1-4 are on Hulu and the show airs on FXX.

Games:
    It’s not really underrated, but I loved the game Hollow Knight and don’t think you can go wrong with it for just $15. It starts out slow but becomes pretty challenging and ridiculously immersive.

Podcasts that I continue to love in 2018:
    All Fantasy Everything - comedians fantasy draft things that aren’t sports. Recommend starting from the beginning, as the show builds a lot of inside jokes that will go over your head if you jump in at a later episode.

Heavyweight - season 3 was my least favorite so far, but 1 & 2 were strong enough for me to still shout it out. A very charming, funny host helps people reconcile with things from their past. With the except of the most recent season, it’s a lot less cheesy than it sounds. In one episode he helps a guy confront Moby for never getting credit for lending Moby the box of tapes that led to him sampling a song in his breakout single. In another he helps a woman figure out why she was inexplicably ejected from a sorority in college. In another he helps a man spread his father’s ashes. It’s varied and always very touching, and the host is hysterical.

riotspray likes this.
  2. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

This show is starting to pick up steam, but it's been great since it started. More people should be listening. They all just have such a great rapport with each other and just positive vibes all around.

3. Oh yeah, for sure. I got on board around episode 15 or so thanks to somebody on this site talking about it I’m the Podcasts thread. Might have even been you, haha. My friends and I even started doing some of our own drafts this year and that’s been a ton of fun!

riotspray likes this.
  4. tomtom94

Trusted

I feel like my friends and I are the only people in the world who enjoyed Mortal Engines.

An absolute blast from start to finish, really, really good fun especially after seeing Crimes of Grindelwald and being irritated all the way through.

5. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

People have probably already said it but Upgrade and Minding the Gap

riotspray and OhTheWater like this.
  6. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not gonna just take credit for introducing you to it, but I feel like no one else on these boards listens. Really fun show though and doing your own drafts seems like a good way to spend a drinking night.

7. stayillogical Dec 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 21, 2018)
    stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

To me, the most underrated show of recent years is Rectify. One of the best shows I've ever watched.