Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Most Anticipated of 2018 • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

For this, I wanted to do albums that already had titles or release dates or both. So I wrote about Field Report, Kacey Musgraves, and The 1975.

Beyond that, my big ones are probably:

Butch Walker
    Bruce Springsteen
    Brothers Osborne
    Logan Brill
    Dawes
    Maren Morris
    William Clark Green
    Ashley Monroe

I'm crossing my fingers for those first two. The others are all pretty likely, I think.

Brian Fallon and Courtney Marie Andrews would be on my list, but I've heard both of those (and they're both great).

What about you?

2. Spenny

Regular

I really enjoy it. Gave me pretty much everything I wanted from her solo album. I'm not a huge fan of Consequences, and All These Years is only okay for me, but the other eight songs are really enjoyable. Favourite songs are probably Real Friends, In the Dark & Never Be the Same. Into It and She Loves Control are absolute jams as well.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  3. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

I definitely need to spend more time with it, I was a little underwhelmed on the first listen bar the singles and maybe a couple of others - so this has made me wanna go back to it. Thanks!

Spenny likes this.
  4. terps12

Regular

Spanish Love Songs - Schmaltz

Their first LP is great -- basically sounds like if Ryan Young (of OWTH) wrote songs for the Menzingers.

5. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

The Roots.

6. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Listened to the Camila album for the first time yesterday and I really love Never Be the Same, Havana (obviously), Real Friends, and Into It

Wall Of Arms and Spenny like this.
  7. Spenny

Regular

No worries! It definitely underwhelmed on first listen for me too, but that tends to happen with albums that I'm anticipating. Grew on me a lot on second listen, and was only uphill from there.

Wall Of Arms likes this.
  8. Loki

God of mischief

Brian Fallon... huge pause.... then everything and everyone else

9. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

There really is some great artists releasing stuff this year. Butch is always one of my most anticipated when he’s got an album due. Also I can’t wait to see what Maren does on her next album, her debut was great.

Craig have you heard the new album by The Xcerts that came out the other week? I could see you digging it. You can definitely hear the Springsteen and Petty influences on it.

Craig Manning likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

I wasn't crazy about the one new song Maren played on her last tour, but I'm sure her album will be great.

You are the third person to rec me that Xcerts album. I liked their last one, but didn't love it so this one wasn't high on my priorities list. I'm listening now, though, and holy shit this is good.

Chris Prindle and ugman_2000 like this.
  11. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I wasn’t overly sold on that song either but I still have high hopes for it, loved Hero.

Glad your digging The Xcerts, they really upped their pop sensibilities and Murray’s definitely wearing his influences on his sleeves on this album. I’ve had it on constantly since it came out, it’s so good.

Craig Manning likes this.
  12. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Missed the comma and thought you meant La Dispute was already released

Started getting excited that I somehow missed an entire album lead up and release.

13. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I didn't have time to read all the comments but I think I read that Mayday Parade is working on a new album.

14. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Despite not having released a listenable album in over 10 years, they keep plugging away

15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'd accept someone saying they have never released a listenable album cus I'm not really a huge fan of them, but if you think ALIR was good (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about), then calling the rest of it unlistenable is a confusing and aggressive take. Their sound hasn't really changed that much, and their Self-Titled is at least on par with ALIR.

bobsheiskawy likes this.
  16. Spenny

Regular

Personally, I would argue 8.5 years since a listenable album and 5 years since their last great song. Anywhere But Here is a really solid album that doesn't get enough credit, and I adore the song 12 Through 15.

17. Spenny

Regular

Also, to clarify my comments further, while I'm not a massive fan of their S/T album, it does have some solid songs on it. I don't call it "listenable" because I don't think I would really go listen to it from front to back ever again.

18. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Anywhere but here is bad, self-titled is quite good, monsters in the closet is meh, black lines is their best album

19. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah I'm not a big fan of that band but from what I've listened to I'd say their last album was their best too.

Jake W likes this.
  20. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Nothing matters more than The 1975, like that record should be amazing.

21. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Say Anything lol what

22. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Except the songwriting is actually good on ALIR and laughably bad on every subsequent album.

23. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I don't understand this at all, like it all basically just sounds the same to me. But hey to each their own, defending Mayday Parade is definitely not a hill I'm willing to die on.

24. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Aaron Mook likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

Yes, I'll definitely be coming back to this one.