Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Morrissey Speaks Out Against New £5 Note

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Morrissey speaks out via True to You about the Bank of England’s new non-vegan £5 note.

If it had been revealed by the Bank of England that the new British Five Pound note contained slices of cat or dog, the country would be in an uproar. But because we have been trained to accept the vicious slaughter of cows, sheep and pigs, the UK media can only make light of the use of tallow in the new British fiver because animal slaughter is thought to be outside of the human grasp and concern. However, whether you care about animals or not, the use of their sliced bodies in the new five pound note evokes a mood and a vibration that displays a gaping hole in human intelligence and in the human race as a compassionate idea. It also tells us that the Bank Of England has no understanding of doing anything in our time that revives the human image from basic savagery. If you feel that the use of animal flesh should not be a moral issue, then you should assert your conviction by donating your own body to the Bank Of England for decorative use in future five pound notes.

2. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

What?

3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

This made me lol because I said "What?" out loud to myself when I finished reading.

jjnunn118 likes this.
  4. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

Dude, we get it, you're vegan!

5. I mean why are they using animal parts or something derived from it in money though?

beachdude42, SpyKi, fenway89 and 6 others like this.
  6. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

So your money smells like bacon or burgers when you rub it :)

Just joking*, I don't condone them using animals for this. Seems pretty weird.

* I wish everything smelled like bacon!

7. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

Ahh. The new notes are made from a thin plastic instead of paper. That makes sense, since they use the same product in plastic bags. Still seems like they could have gone with one of a hundred other types of plastic that don't use tallow. Weird choice.

8. Schooner

Trusted

I hope he didn't use a fiver to snort what ever cocaine he was on with that statement

9. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

That's really weird they have tallow as an ingredient.

10. MrSark

On doit jouer à domicile comme à la maison.

As much as I that there should not be a need for tallow in a bank note, I think the man should read up on subjects before going on a rant.

BoE already said they're are looking into alternatives and that their supplier used tallow in the polymer without their knowledge.

What else are they to do about about a bank that's not even in circulation?

11. Jamie Dagg

Master of not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

From what I'm aware the tallow that's been in use for the entirety of the notes in use is less than what would be found in 1 cow. Don't know how accurate that statistic is, and I don't want to downplay that it's bad because it is, but Morrissey really does seem to struggle putting things into perspective.

12. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

while it's very, as expected from Morrisey, impassioned, I think it's a fair criticism, if for no other reason that it puts vegans in a difficult spot of choosing not to use animal products and essentially being forced to by circulation of money.

beachdude42 and PandaBear! like this.
  13. Schooner

Trusted

Surely they actually touch leather at some point in their day to day going abouts or do they treat brushing against it like it's holy water burning their skin?

14. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Not eating meat sure can make a man cranky.

Schooner likes this.
  15. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This is a pretty pointlessly antagonistic post

16. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

This type of comment is not only condescending to vegans but it's also a misunderstanding of veganism so basic that it appears willful. Of course they're not going to act like it burns because that's fucking ridiculous and not the point of veganism at all. Veganism is about making the choice not to support the use of animal product which is why using a bank note with tallow comes into conflict with that because they would be actively benefiting from the use of animal product.

17. Malatesta

i don't know what they do with that, although i imagine I do not touch leather much at all in my day to day. besides, it's different from actively carrying and using something which contains animal product

beachdude42 and Schooner like this.
  18. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

19. Schooner

Trusted

Hahaha. No honestly. It's a legitimate question.
    If I'm mates with a vegan and I'm wearing a leather jacket and give them a hug hello or goodbye are they gonna freak out cause they touched some leather @Zac Djamoos @Carmensaopaulo cause this is they way I'm pircturing how they're feeling about 0.001% animal fat in a polymer. It's doing my head in

20. Malatesta

again, can't speak for vegans, but i would expect it's more with the fact that they are forced to regularly use animal products

21. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I agree with every word of this statement up until that last sentence!!! Classic Morrisey :seeno::crylaugh:

This sums it up perfectly! Its the fact that the choice is taken away from vegans; everyone HAS to use money and will inevitably come into contact with one of these new notes at some point.

beachdude42 and Carmensaopaulo like this.