Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Morrissey - Low In High School (November 17, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 22, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it really says a lot that Robert Smith hates Morrissey on a molecular level

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Robert Smith is a treasure and must be protected at all costs

SamLevi11, Contender, Barresi and 5 others like this.
  3. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

4. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea he said this at the Chicago show Saturday. I had mixed feelings about going, but I already had my ticket and didn't think I'd get back the full amount even if I tried to sell. I'm glad he addressed it, but it was in the context of how the media was trying to paint him in a bad light to hold down his album sales because his music "actually had a message". And he never directly said he stood with the survivors or anything which would've gone a long way. Like if I should only trust what I see come out of your mouth, then here's the perfect opportunity to clarify just what you really think about this. He just made these comments about being portrayed unfairly. I don't feel it was sufficient. It was all a little too alt-right "the media is out to get me".

Aaron Mook likes this.
  5. Wall Of Arms

Yeah this doesn't surprise me and it consequently makes little difference. I mean, good if you didn't say it, but like you said - at least clarify further and stand with victims rather than continue your obtuse ego ride. But, it's Morrissey so of course that isn't gonna happen. Still a fool.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  6. This whole thing has been fucking exhausting and on my mind lately. Haven't had much desire to return to this album, been considering selling my copies of it and World Peace, although I'm not quite sure why I feel like drawing the line after Years of Refusal. I guess it's because everything else pre-dates the Brexit and sexual assault comments, and I also definitely some bias because these records don't mean as much to me, but then again it's Moz and he's said plenty of abrasive shit before 2009 so I don't know. Sorry for thinking out loud

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I mean we all can only do better in the future, cutting R Kelly and Woody Allen out of my repertoire took way too long

mattfreaksmeout, Ken and Aaron Mook like this.
  8. Wall Of Arms Nov 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 27, 2017)
    Wall Of Arms

No I hear you, this is from someone who has a Smiths-era Moz tattoo on their body. The tattoo absolutely represents the band but it's still his face as part of it so what the fuck is the difference (is what I ask myself)? It's a real struggle I have too as I grew up on The Smiths and they are absolutely a band that has defined me and are one of my all-time favourites. I've never been a big Morrissey-solo person by comparison but a fan nonetheless and paid to see him live. He's always been abrasive, divisive and certainly hyperbolic and where before that may have just been a charming/disarming (depending on the myriad of types of things he's said) personality type, in the past few years or more - it's felt like a new level which branches out of pomposity and over-dramatising for effect or reaction into actual, hurtful, damaging ignorance and genuine views he holds. I find it hard to really understand my feelings on it too. So this sounds like a confused thought process as well, I'm sure, but my point is - I'm with you. It's not something I feel comfortable with or about either. Ultimately, he won't be featuring on my EOTY list, that's for sure. I also don't own any of his work, merch, anything post-Smiths and I certainly won't be planning on giving him any of my money moving forward by seeing him live again.

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I think the reason it's even more complicated with him vs. other people is he hasn't actually done anything. He's not an abuser (to my knowledge), he just spews his mouth about nonsense, and we're in a time basically of cultural war right now, so to have someone who so many revere like him saying this kind of crap - I don't want to underplay it. But when it comes to my comfort listening to his music or the Smiths, I guess I'm still ok doing that because I don't feel the art was inspired by a place of malice the way I feel with Jesse Lacey's music, for example. But I'm not trying to justify what he says. It's also difficult for me because his music has a very political message that more times than not I actually agree with. Like I can't even understand where he is coming at when he does interviews because it doesn't sound like the man singing the songs? Maybe I just have an idealistic view of him that I still see when I listen to him even if he's shattered the illusion outside of that. I can't help but feel he just doesn't know how to shock anymore, so he resorts to this.

I don't think I could buy a ticket to see him again. I was hesitant enough going to this show, and I couldn't really stop thinking about all this during the show, before and after his """retraction""" (idk what to call it because it wasn't an apology). I don't want to continue supporting someone who has become a champion of hate. And like I said I'll probably continue streaming his music, but I'm not going to go out buying his albums.

Like all of us, I'm trying to figure all this out as I go, so this post is really just me thinking out loud more than anything.

Wall Of Arms likes this.
  10. We (along with plenty of others) are in the same boat re: The Smiths. This won't be making my EOTY list either, but I honestly have a hard time saying I wouldn't consider seeing him live if he ever came close to me. Not that it'll ever happen (I'm in rural Pennsylvania), but maybe that's where I'd draw the line?. Idk. I know this kind of thing has been difficult for lots of people to sort out and echo @mattfreaksmeout 's sentiments when it comes to not undervaluing the power of words but also recognizing that they're not the same as actions.

I've always considered getting a Smiths tattoo, what does yours look like?

11. Wall Of Arms

I'm with you and I think that's something that I probably couldn't put my finger on before: the contrast and almost "jekyll and hyde" personality he has. The fact that I agree with so much of what he sings about, so much of what he represented in his youth (and later) at least via his music but that he seems like another person in interviews - even more so now than ever before. But like you, I also have an idealistic...or maybe "optimistic" view of the man is a better way of putting it, and wonder how much of it is just misaligned/misjudged (massively on his part) "Morrissey being Morrissey" with the press and how much of it is something worse.

Yeah man, I was contemplating going to see him in London again recently, particularly with a new live date but I just don't know anymore. Literally torn. Not only that but the last time I saw him I didn't really enjoy the setlist anyway because it was on the World Peace...tour and I didn't gel with that album much.

As for the tattoo, it's some gladioli (the flowers in his back pocket and swung around on various performances - most notably on the "This Charming Man" Top Of The Pops one) around a young portrait of him. I was supposed to have Smiths lyrics incorporated but it's been a few years since I got it and I've just never been able to settle on one lyric for it haha but it will happen.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. Wall Of Arms

13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I literally don't even read his quotes anymore. I just see the headlines and think "Oh, Morrissey being an idiot? Big surprise."

14. Wall Of Arms

15. Wall Of Arms

[​IMG]

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. stars143

Trusted

18. stars143

Trusted

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

whoa

1. Morning Starship (Jobriath) with Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear
    2. Don’t Interrupt The Sorrow (Joni Mitchell) with Ariel Engle of Broken Social Scene
    3. Only a Pawn In Their Game (Bob Dylan) with Petra Haden
    4. Suffer the Little Children (Buffy St Marie)
    5. Days of Decision (Phil Ochs) with Sameer Gadhia of Young The Giant
    6. It’s Over (Roy Orbison) with LP
    7. Wedding Bell Blues (The Fifth Dimension) with Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day & Lydia Night of The Regrettes
    8. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets (Dionne Warwick)
    9. Lady Willpower (Gary Puckett)
    10. When You Close Your Eyes (Carly Simon) with Petra Haden
    11. Lenny’s Tune (Tim Hardin)
    12. Some Say I Got Devil (Melanie)