Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Morrissey Calls on General Motors to Offer Vegan Leather

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Morrissey has written a letter asking General Motors to begin offering vegan leather in their cars. You can read that below.

Mary T Barra
    Chair and CEO
    General Motors Company
    21 November 2016

Dear Ms Barra,

As I head to Detroit to play the Royal Oak Music Theatre, I’m writing to ask GM to make Chevy’s Volt and Bolt more eco-friendly by giving buyers the option to choose vegan leather interiors–including steering wheels and gear shifts. GM is named in PETA’s brand-new investigation of cattle ranches, on which animals are branded on the face, electro-shocked, and beaten before they’re slaughtered and used to make leather interiors for car companies, including yours.

More and more people are opting for vegan leather for the sake of both cows and the environment. A staggering 51 per cent of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture. Animal skins also have to be treated with a toxic soup of chemicals in order to keep them from decomposing, and runoff from leather tanneries poisons vital waterways.

Given that the Volt and Bolt are being marketed to eco-conscious buyers, entirely vegan options would only broaden their appeal. I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,

Morrissey

2. zachzacchero

Go Moz.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  3. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Good on, Morrissey. I'm not even vegetarian but often sympathise with the mockery vegans get. They're the voice of reason to the daily inhumane slaughter of animals yet have to play it cool because being a "tree hugger" is apparently derogatory.

4. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Fuck yeah, fuck 'em up Morrissey! I'm not vegan yet but have been vegetarian for 5 months now and it's great! It is difficult to know when things contain animal products or are inhumane or harmful in ways we never even consider (apparently avocado farms are bad, and also workers conditions on banana farms in some places are very bad?) so I would def like to see more corporations like GM make the commitment to finding cruelty-free alternatives!

zachzacchero and pauljgreco like this.
  5. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

the problem brought up by a radio station here is that most vegan leather is petroleum based, and thus loses the eco-friendly status.
    What is Vegan Leather?

6. jorbjorb

7 rings

how about you just get rid of leather seats all together.

7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Go Moz! I totally back this.

zachzacchero likes this.