Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

More Details of Bruce Springsteen’s DWI Emerge

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The NY Post is reporting Bruce Springsteen was arrested for a DWI due to taking one shot of tequila:

The “Born to Run” icon, 71, had been riding his motorcycle on the peninsula on Nov. 14 when he “was spotted by fans who asked him to pull over and take some pictures,” according to a source close to Springsteen.

“Bruce stopped, took the pictures, then a fan offered him a shot of liquor, which he took, while sitting on his bike, which was stationary,” the source said.

“Park Police saw what happened and they immediately pulled Springsteen over as he drove away.”

Springsteen was charged with DWI, reckless driving and consuming alcohol in a closed area, a spokesperson for the National Park Service said.

The Asbury Park Press reported Springsteen’s blood-alcohol content was 0.02 — just a quarter of New Jersey’s legal limit — when he was arrested.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

stars143 likes this.
  3. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

.02 is like half a beer.
    Its mind boggling this cop even gave him a ticket.

4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

very weird story

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Like, would this have been a thing at all if he had left the seat of his bike, taken the shot, and then gotten back on the bike to drive away a few minutes later? Is the issue that he was still sitting on his bike?

Weird story, weird that it leaked when it did, weird that no media outlets that initially reported it took the time to get the full story before splashing it across the internet.

6. thatwasamoment

Since '06

mans was framed

laraheart and falafelmywaffle like this.
  7. deflector

formerly pizzatime

I don't condone drinking and driving whatsoever, but if dude really blew a .02 then doesn't this just like... go away? Seems like those a DWI wouldn't stick here... maybe a lesser charge or something

8. vcmstone

Newbie Supporter

All of this because of a Jeep commercial.

9. delvec19

Trusted

Cop had an agenda. Most likely a Trump Supporter.

10. AndrewRnR

I mean I get it... I know people who have gotten in trouble for drinking a beer in a car at a cold tailgate. I've seen cops warn to ticket people who at a tailgate were drinking inside a car because drink in driver seat is a no no, so I get where they are going with this.

Bummer for sure, but drinking while in (on) driver seat (especially if it was turned on) is a slippery slope. If it wasn't Springsteen and there was a news story about someone drinking a beer but not at legal limit while driving we'd all be against that right?

With all that said... super cool he did a shot with a fan. But man that fan had to be on cloud 9 for the last two months and must feel horrible now.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  11. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I think that because it's on Federal property, it gets a little bit more difficult to predict the outcome. I live in Jersey and was kind of confused when this story broke, and was eager for more details. It's a pretty remote area, I literally go there to look for seals haha.

bobsheiskawy and falafelmywaffle like this.
  12. Piercalicious

Regular

It's not a federal issue - the vast majority of states, including New Jersey, pair their DUI/DWI statutes into two separate potential charges. One portion of the statute will set out a "per se" offense, which is what you're thinking of, wherein the state establishes guilt by proving the defendant had a BAC over a certain % set by the statute (they prove you're above that, you're guilty). The second portion of the statute will set out a more traditional impairment offense, where the state can establish guilt by establishing facts showing impairment - witness/officer testimony about the driver's behavior, physical evidence from a crash, etc.

The "pro" argument of having the latter kind of charge is to permit prosecutors to pursue instances where persons are right around the legal limit but clearly impaired or a danger to others. In practice, it can also be used a lot as a plea negotiation tactic alongside a stack of other charges that may or may not stick, which seems to be the case here.

13. i think this is a story but it's weird that it's spanning more than like... a day.

14. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Just try and cancel Bruce and see what happens...

15. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

I refuse to think like this, but it screams of the officer having an agenda.

If all that has been said is true, IF, then this guy deserves to be reviewed.

You following the letter of the law, but not the intent, but also not really following the letter either - is fucked.

He was sober, per legal definition. He may have been riding like an ‘idiot’ a bit, but the picture in my head is how my uncle rides like an ‘idiot’ in big empty parking lots. Not endangering anyone, just weaving in and out of lines and hitting marks in the asphalt. No one really around.

Bruce Springsteen getting arrested in New Jersey. Certainly never thought I’d see the day. For fucking drinking, something the guy barely does. Christ almighty.

16. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

It also goes away if you're Bruce Springsteen

17. HarrisonMonopoly

Regular

You sound like a lawyer so I’m not going to try and sound like some genius here. But where he got caught is a federal property. Sandy Hook National Park.

theasteriskera likes this.
  18. HarrisonMonopoly

Regular

The replies here are wild. On what planet can you take shots of tequila on/in a motor vehicle in front of authorities and think it’s okay?

It’s argued that the rich are able to just do whatever the fuck they want because they are rich. This is exactly a message that should be sent. Why should Bruce Springsteen be allowed to take shots of tequila on a motorcycle, but not Joe Schmoe? Just because it’s a .02 doesn’t make a difference. Can I drink a beer in the car because it will leave me below .08?

19. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

No, you can't, but you shouldn't get a DWI/DUI for it.

Pepetito and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  20. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

For the record, I’m more bothered by the way this was leaked/reported than the fact that Springsteen was pulled over or charged. There’s a big difference between what actually happened and what the assumption was when this news started breaking.

21. HarrisonMonopoly

Regular

You shouldn’t get a DWI for drinking tequila on a motorcycle?

22. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

No, you should get a ticket for an open container. If you blow into a breathalyzer and you’re over .08, then you should. Otherwise what is the point of the limit?

theasteriskera likes this.
  23. HarrisonMonopoly

Regular

the point I’m making is this. For everyone on earth, this is a DWI. It’s insane to me that people are coming to defense for him. If this was Kid Rock and he was in the exact same situation, are people trying to defend the action? What you’re suggesting is a very slippery slope. If I’m going out in my car, should I be able to have a beer while in the car? It’s not gonna put me over the legal limit.

24. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

No, you shouldn’t, but you SHOULD NOT GET A DUI.

25. HarrisonMonopoly

Regular

Alright well at least you’re consistent and I can respect that.