Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Moose Blood Sign With Hopeless Records • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

It's crazy that they've had the wonder years, balance and composure, la dispute, into it over it, and many more cool bands, and now they're left with nothing. It seems like their newer signings never caught on the way RFC's have. They didn't have a pity sex, turnover, citizen, etc. to keep them afloat.

2. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

Man I didn't know their roster was ever that strong. How do you have releases like that and not manage to stay afloat? I mean, i'm no businessman so who am I to talk but damn.

3. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

good god. I hope no one actually got the 2016 subscription... what would you even get? I enjoyed one album from them last year and that was the new Foreign Tongues.

their alumni game is super strong, which is the only reason I believe they are still here. I've lost count of how many pressings there are of La Dispute's Somewhere At The Bottom... and TWY's The Upsides. it's odd.

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

PO: No Sleep Records 2016 Subscription - /120 180 Gram gold. Message Board

poor thread

5. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Someone posted in the UK Pop Punk FB group:

"Can you cancel a No Sleep subscription? I think I've paid £200 for one Shai Halud record..."

6. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

I don't really understand what happened with No Sleep and Somos. Did they have Somos for like... twenty minutes or what? They signed them, made flags (and maybe shirts?) for them, maybe released the Have Mercy / Somos split, and then Somos was on Hopeless to release their album. Weird.

It's too bad, I liked getting such cheap vinyl throughout the last two years from them. I liked Xerxes, Daisyhead, and obviously Moose Blood, but obviously those aren't nearly at the level that B&C / La Dispute / TWY / etc. were. Moose Blood is really the only big release they had since The Things We Think We're Missing, I think.

I'd like to know what the deal is with the label, hopefully the guy on VC is right in saying that they're going to talk about the rest of the year soon, so we just kind of get a clearer idea of what's up. That subscription series looks really awful right now.

7. I wonder if No Sleep has an upstreaming deal with Hopeless similar to the drive thru days of the early 2000s

Jose likes this.
  8. Cole

Comic Sans personified

Just looked at the Hopeless roster, had no idea they were that stacked. So many good artists.

9. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

Pumped for them! Definitely gonna give that record a spin, it's been too long.

10. Gen Martinez

Listen To Saves The Day.

Allison Weiss went to Side One. Wish she would have gone to Hopeless. Her new exits is awesome and they would have done much more for it there.

11. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

This band is special and deserves to get huge. Hopefully Hopeless does the trick (for Somos as well).

12. SoundwaveUproar

Regular Prestigious

A band I've been meaning to explore for a while now, and they've just given me another reason to do it.

13. CheapPop

Regular

Loved Moose Bloods first album, so definitely stoked to hear the new one! and yeah, Hopeless is stacked.

I remember right around the time The Upsides came out, No Sleep was seen as a pretty stacked label with a bright future. Crazy what a few years can bring. Seems like the label is a much smaller version of Victory, with all the trouble with unpaid royalties and what not.

14. milogoestoprison

Since this has become a what's happening with No Sleep thread... I wanna know what's up with that In Between full length that seemed to be finished forever ago. Also, I dug the Drug Church and Run Forever records they put out last year, and was hoping for more Sainthood Reps.

Moose Blood didn't do much for me as much as I tried, but good for them signing to Hopeless.

15. joshuaharris

I'm excited for this, and this band in general. I'm more excited to see what happens in the news with this No Sleep stuff.

16. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Their old stuff is just 69 cents per song on Itunes. Sweet!

17. BelieF

Regular

My thoughts

As hard as it is to run a label and turn profits it seems like Chris or whatever didn't reinvest the early profits fully back into the company which is what you have to do for a long time, especially with a record label because of how turbulent music tastes and trends are. He probably cut himself dividends which of course hes entitled to as long as its with in reason (unpaid royalties is a no no) and probably at best assumed he'd have more "the upsides" or he'd find the next "la dispute" at worst figure this record label wasn't created on the basis of forever so mind as well cash out as much as possible.

18. mybreakingpoint

The Greatest Escapegoat

Great band, great signing. My grandmother's maiden name is Moose, so I always like to think "Yeah, I've got Moose blood" every time I see something about these guys. Thumbs up.

Bayside 182 likes this.