Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Moonlight (Barry Jenkins, October 21st, 2016) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Nathan, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Just saw this. Probably going tomorrow (Sunday) instead now. Couldn't swing it yesterday.

2. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Cool. Hope to see this when it opens here.

3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

4. motherfucker

5. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

"Everyone everywhere will have a chance to see this film"

Does that mean wide release? Or just a very obvious statement that one day it will be on VOD and I will be able to watch it lol

6. Nathan

Friday in Royal Oak. Can't wait.

7. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

we aren't getting it until the 18th. bummed but better than never

8. marceting

Trusted

What theater did you see it at? I know there's one in Montclair that showed a Wes Anderson movie when no one else was years ago.

9. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The Bowtie Cinema Clairidge in Montclair on Bloomfield Avenue is showing it.

marceting likes this.
  10. Nathan

Christ.

11. Nathan

It knocked the hell out of me. It's hard to talk about because most of what I'd say about it involves specifics of things that happen, and while this isn't really a film that can be spoiled, I do think it's one best experienced as purely as possible. It's also so intimately and beautifully black that anything I can say about it just takes a backseat to the many, many voices more qualified to speak on it than mine. I feel a lot of things about the film, and am thinking through how best to work through them. It's such a deeply intimate and nuanced film. It's magnificent.

My theater laughed a lot, and while it is a funny film, they definitely laughed at points not intended for humor. One of my favorite moments in the film is after Chiron and Kevin's first sexual encounter on the beach, when Kevin runs his hand through the sand, and my theater laughed a lot at that. Then later, when Kevin drops Chiron off at home and offers that hand and Chiron hesitates, I thought it was so fucking beautiful and aching and powerful, and my theater lost it laughing. I think that laughter came from discomfort, and that was frustrating to be a part of. On the other hand it was a full theater so I'm glad a lot of people came out to see it, and I hope it sits with them.

12. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I fucking loved this movie so much.

My theater had an issue with laughing at inappropriate parts for sure. Though it was mostly one really clueless woman. Otherwise they had the appropriate level of chuckle at the parts @Nathan put in spoilers.

13. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Saw this last night and laughter was also an issue at weird times. It was as if they thought everything Kevin said to Chiron in the third act was meant to be some overt, funny innuendo. People busted up at "Chef's special".
    Others' apparent discomfort aside, this was a really incredible film and I can't wait to see it again. Mahershala Ali was so fucking good that it was a bummer to find out Juan had passed and wouldn't be around. Every actor that played Chiron killed me.

14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I think there was some intentional humor to those moments Nathan mentioned, but I get it. For me, the only downfall to seeing a movie at the cinema is people with drastically different reactions.

I went to a screening of The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant last weekend and quite a few people thought it was a real laugh riot.

15. cshadows2887

Very few movies I hate more than that one.

And I definitely think you're supposed to chuckle at the hanging innuendo in the diner scene. Some people just don't know how to be quietly amused and have to performatively belly laugh at anything even remotely humorous.

16. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Not to derail this thread but whaaaaa? It was my first time seeing the film but I immediately thought of it as one of the greatest I've ever seen.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  17. cshadows2887

Oh god I hate it so much. Haha

Fassbinder is feast or famine with me really.

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul is amazing. Berlin Alexanderplatz and Marriage of Maria Braun are quite good. And then I HATE Fox and His Friends and The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant.

18. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

So weird. I totally agree on Ali, but I thought Alexanderplatz was an unpleasant chore. We've got a huge Fassbinder retrospective on now so I'll be checking out quite a bit of his stuff over the next two months.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  19. cshadows2887

Berlin was WAY too long. But it was a miniseries. So I kinda grade it on a sliding scale. Do I ever want to sit through that again? No. Do I think it was well-made? Yeah.

brandon_260 likes this.
  20. This fucked me up

21. Nathan

A24 says it opens everywhere Friday. There are a few other things I'd like to see but I want to hit this again in theaters, my theater had minor projection issues.

22. Morrissey

Trusted

It opens here. I am glad I did not take the trip to Orlando.

23. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

We've got a screening on Friday with a Skype Q&A with Barry Jenkins.

24. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

This movie shook me to my core.

25. Since I saw this a couple nights ago I've periodically tried to close my eyes and let my memory of the movie's aesthetic wash over me. Feeling like it won't be long before I go see it again.