Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Moonlight (Barry Jenkins, October 21st, 2016) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Nathan, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Moonlight comes from director Barry Jenkins (Medicine for Melancholy) and studio A24 (this year's the Lobster, Green Room, the Witch, and Swiss Army Man). The film portrays the life of a young man named Chiron (Trevante Rhodes) via three defining chapters of his life. Set in 1980's Miami during the height of Reagan's War on Drugs, Moonlight follows Chiron as he comes of age, falls in love, and discovers his own sexuality, all while learning to embrace his own vision of masculinity. The cast includes Naomie Harris, Andre Holland, Mahershala Ali, Edson Jean, and Janelle Monae in her debut film performance.

2. Morrissey

Trusted

Medicine for Melancholy is the definition of an underrated film, a romance in the truest sense of the word while also examining the nature of black identity within a predominantly white subculture and an increasingly gentrified city. It is something people should see sooner than later.

Nathan likes this.
  3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Nice

4. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

A24 keeps going in

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I don't think I've ever had strong feelings about a studio before but they are very consistent

EngineDown likes this.
  6. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

TIFF reviews are out and they are unanimously positive. My hype grows for this film.

7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Ehrlich said this was Carol by way of Frank Ocean which is like the highest praise I've seen for a film ever.

CarpetElf likes this.
  8. Nathan

I didn't realize Plan B was behind this as well. I know A24 deservedly gets a lot of credit, particularly this year, but Plan B has been backing some really notable and interesting films for awhile now.

9. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

Going to try and make it downtown this weekend to see this. Has anyone seen it yet?

10. Morrissey

Trusted

Reverse Shot said this was great. Is it expanding?

11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

A24, so it will probably get some form of limited-wide release.

12. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Tiny Mix Tapes called it a masterpiece

13. Nathan

Considering driving down to Akron to see this. I miss living in Chicago/LA

14. Morrissey

Trusted

A "national release" on November 4th. I hope I get to see it sooner than later.

Any of you who enjoy this film should really try to see Jenkins' previous film, Medicine for Melancholy. One of the most underappreciated films of the last decade.

15. Good to know it's playing in Akron next month. I have to imagine it'll be in Cleveland too around the same time but I just haven't come across anything.

16. Nathan

Akron on the 18th of November, according to the email alert Fandango sent me. Columbus on the 11th. Neither do me that much good because I don't live in Ohio but apparently they're the closest theaters to me showing the film anytime soon and I have family near Akron so I am considering a weekend trip.

17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Seated for it now

18. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Jealous. No signs of it here yet.

19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I'm very curious to see how this plays to wider audiences. Having not seen Jenkins' other work, I expected this to be very well done prestige drama, but it's honestly closer to European art cinema than anything. Honestly, its closest American counterpart I can think of is Spring Breakers. It's such a beautiful, nuanced film. I already plan on going back to see it once it goes into general release this Friday.

Here are a few pieces I really like on the film

Barry Jenkins Slow-Cooks His Masterpiece
    'Moonlight' Is A Powerful Queer Coming-Of-Age Story (Peter Labuza puts the film into words better than I could ever dream of here. In the first two paragraphs, he describes a scene from the film's first act that is among the most powerful things I've seen.)

Nathan likes this.
  20. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

hoping it gets around here soon

21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Seeing this one Saturday in Montclair, NJ. Really, really excited after all the positive buzz.

22. Nathan

Dope, Detroit next week.

23. whoomp there it is

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Did someone say Spring Breakers

popdisaster00 and gonz (Alex) like this.
  25. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

What time are you seeing it? I'm seeing it in Montclair today too.