Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Modest Mouse Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Mar 7, 2016.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

When they announced they would release another album within a year, I knew it wouldn't happen.

I'm still waiting on their Big Boi collab.

Aaron Mook and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  2. Every follow up ever announced or suggested for the year after a record has ended up not coming out
    Tons of artists have done that recently...MM, The National, Kanye, My Morning Jacket etc

3. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

also, the strokes.

4. bedwettingcosmo

also, HOW THE F DID YOU NEVER LISTEN TO LONESOME CROWDED WEST ITS THE BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME PROBABLY.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  5. bedwettingcosmo

this is essential as well

6. bedwettingcosmo

there was a year in my life where TLLC was the only album i listened to. literally.

7. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Taking on Moon and Antarctica tonight. May live post my thoughts in here and annoy y'all

8. Cody

First things first, i don't think there's anything I can say about "3rd Planet" that hasn't been said already. Lyrical brilliance.

OotyPa and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  9. Cody

"Tiny Cities Made of Ashes" is super Cake-y to me, and I'm way into it.

10. Cody

I couldn't stop thinking that Isaac really had the cadence/tone of Sting on the verses of "A Different City," Then I focused on the guitar tones and the intracacies of Jeremiah's groove in the second half, and I realized, oddly enough, the whole thing sounds like it could be The Police had they made an album in the late 90's.

11. Cody

Between "A Different City" and the 'beauty in the simplicity' approach of "Paper Thin Walls," I think Isaac Brock could've made it as a power pop star/songwriter if he wanted to.

12. Cody

Sorry, pal. "Life Like Weeds" runs away with it pretty handily.

13. sukottokairu

Regular

oh man, i can't imagine listening to TM&A for the first time right now. i first heard it over 10 years ago and it's one of the most important albums i've ever listened to. so damn good, lots of nostalgia for me yet it's such a timeless album. so atmospheric, and consistent yet varied at the same time. 10/10

Aaron Mook, OotyPa and nl5011 like this.
  14. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Gravity rides everything is what got me into mm. Always been my favorite record from them. A cap to a wonderful era of output.

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

So jealous of Cody to get to discover these records for the first time right now.

Have you heard my personal favorite, Long Drive yet?

dadbolt likes this.
  16. marioeatworld

Keep on moving. Busy street.

I really like Strangers To Ourselves, but it was widely received as their worse album. I imagine using the leftovers of an unpopular project as the basis for their next album must not be very easy. I mean, I can picture Isaac changing his approach and wanting to take things slowly. Either way, I'm always looking forward to seeing what this band comes up with.

17. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I wish I could wipe my memory and hear TLCW and TM&A again for the first time.

18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'd give anything to be able to listen to those first three Modest Mouse albums with fresh ears and allow them to blow me away all over again. Lonesome Crowded West is a huge favorite of mine, seconding the awe at their ability to be non traditional and beautiful at the same time. @Cody their EPs are worth checking out too, I think Everywhere and His Nasty Parlor Tricks was Moon & Antarctica outtakes.
    God I fuckin love MM

19. The Moon and Antarctica is one of the best albums I've ever heard

this band has made a few of the best albums I've ever heard

dadbolt, Mary V and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  20. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

this is news to me.

21. sukottokairu

Regular

What do you mean by "leftovers of an unpopular project"? Never heard about anything like that. Also, love Strangers to Ourselves, it's a great album, it's hard to say any of their albums are their "worst" but, personally "We Were Dead..." is my least favorite, although I still love it.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. bedwettingcosmo

i do believe strangers is their worst but its still a great album. also dont really consider anything pre this is a long drive a real album.

23. bedwettingcosmo

LCW
    Building nothing out of something ( i count it)
    This is a long drive
    Good news
    we were dead
    moon and antartica
    strangers

24. OotyPa

fall away

Moon and Antarctica
    Long Drive
    Good News
    Lonely Crowded West
    We Were Dead
    Strangers

25. the rural juror Jan 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 15, 2017)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Lonesome Crowded West = Moon & Antarctica (honestly can't pick)
    Building Nothing
    Good News
    Long Drive
    We Were Dead
    Strangers