Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Modest Mouse Band • Page 22

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Mar 7, 2016.

1. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

2. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Lyrics were the major appeal of Modest Mouse for me, and an appreciation for the music followed. I've seen the lyrics for this and I am about to listen with extreme trepidation.

3. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

well that was tedious

4. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Lyrics aside, it was boring and went on for way too long

5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I actually didn't mind it at all. I thought musically and in terms of the song's melancholy vibe being well conveyed it had a lot more going for it than almost anything they've put out since We Were Dead.

6. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

yeesh. at least "Poison the Well" had some energy. this ain't good

7. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I like this more than the other two singles from this year but this would still be one of the weaker tracks even on STO. And why on earth is it six minutes long, there’s like two minutes worth of ideas here.

riotspray likes this.
  8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

It's not terrible, but the lyrics are pretty much nonsense and I'd agree that it's a 6 minute song with 2 minutes worth of ideas.

9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Musically, it sounds straight from STO. Lyrically...um.

10. You know what, I dig it.

11. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I've definitely loved some MM songs before with really bad lyrics (Dance Hall, God is an Indian immediately come to mind) but this just seems forgettable.

Kind of surprised at how far they seem to be falling.

12. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Dig it.

13. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I like it. The lyrics are dumb but I dig the vibe and don’t think it drags at all. I also don’t they’re falling or whatever. I really like STO.

14. It's a pretty song. Doesn't immediately grab me the way anything has since some of those STO songs, though.

15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Not great, not terrible. Kinda slides off you so it's a bit forgettable--same thing with Poison the Well. I'm hoping they get it together for a legit release at some point.

16. sukottokairu

Regular

i like this one, it feels like a stoner jam to me. something to kinda just zone out to. reminds me of "of course we know", could totally have been the closer on STO.

i'm guessing these songs are what was originally going to be on the full length that we were "supposed to get as soon as legally possible" after STO. possibly material that ended up being b-sides. they mentioned we would be getting a few random releases like this.

hopefully we will still be getting a proper full length release soon!

imthesheriff likes this.
  17. honestly i like this

imthesheriff likes this.
  18. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

its no Whale Song. that song is so goddamn good. love seeing it live. Havent loved much anything this band has done since We Were Dead

19. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

To be clear, I really liked STO...I mean 'falling' more in terms that the STO was extremely anticipated (obviously, with the 8 year layoff) but STO was 4 1/2 years ago, which is still a very long layoff and there seems to be absolutely no anticipation to have them back...and I think some of that may be due to the 3 or 4 songs they've released in the last year have been very, very subpar for their standards.

imthesheriff likes this.
  20. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It also doesn't help that their opening spots on the Black Keys tour were panned across the board as slapdash and them looking bored.

Serenity Now likes this.
  21. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I actually really enjoyed their set opening for the black keys. They probably were bored though as the arena was maybe half full when they started.

22. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I haven't seen them since the Brand New tour, but honestly thought they were on fire that night

Serenity Now likes this.
  23. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Idk if this is a hot take, but this band is so fucking far past their prime. I used to love them, but this single, that last album, yikes

24. I mean yeah, it's not the late 90s/mid 2000s anymore, but the last album was fine. Sounded like Modest Mouse. With their track record, one good album against five great ones is pretty fucking good

Steeeve Perry and riotspray like this.
  25. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I’ll agree with everything but the last album. I just plain didn’t get it.

I’m not even one of the early stuff snobs, my personal favorite is We Were Dead... but maybe I’m just not into their sound anymore.