Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Modest Mouse Singer Isaac Brock Sued for $865k

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Aimee Green, writing for The Oregonian:

A 41-year-old Portland city employee struck by the SUV of local rock star Isaac Brock — who said he fell asleep at the wheel — filed an $865,000 lawsuit Wednesday against the Modest Mouse lead singer.

The lawsuit, filed by city employee Cassidy Kane, claims Brock — the frontman of the indie rock band — was “impaired” when he slammed his 2004 Land Rover into the back of Kane’s City of Portland pickup truck at 9:20 a.m. on Aug. 3, 2016.

2. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I expect nothing less than a ton of "crash my car into a cop car" puns, and sometimes that's okay.

3. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I have no idea what Isaac Brock would be worth. Not just because it's impossible to know what his spending habits are like, but also because I have no sense as to how much the frontman of a famous indie band makes in this generation.

4. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I thought of pretty much the same thing when I saw the amount, and for some reason, I have no clue if, for him, it's either pocket change or twice his lifetime earnings.

5. donniejohn36

There is a video on YouTube of him saying that he’s 20 years into the music business and he’s got 3,500 hundred dollars to his name. Was pretty recent

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. donniejohn36

It’s at the 6:44 mark.

7. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I must have read over the beginning because it stated it happened in 2016. So when I saw the below part I was a little confused. But wow that sucks. Brilliant musician and writer, in fact my favorite, but he makes some really stupid mistakes.

8. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

To be fair, he said "$3,500 in the bank". So he could own real estate and things like that. But yeah, still surprising.

9. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

His net worth according to google is 4 million.

10. from what I know, google rarely has accurate numbers on this kinda stuff. could be wrong though

Aaron Mook likes this.
  11. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Not sure if Google is right or not, but he should be worth at least a few million by now, otherwise he had terrible management/agents/financial advisers over the last 20 years.

GNFPWLBN is a platinum selling record.

12. RiseAgainst379

Regular

Lawyer here, I've done work in personal injury. A few thoughts.

1) The insurance company will absolutely be defending him and will pay for any judgment against him
    2) The plaintiff is asking for $115,000 in lost wages and $750,000 in pain and suffering. He's not going to get $750 k for pain and suffering. He'll be lucky if he gets $50k, and $10k is probably closer.
    3) The amount asked for as damages are completely unrelated to the defendant's ability to pay. They are to compensate the plaintiff for his damages, not to punish the defendant. Punitive damages aren't available as a remedy on standard negligence cases like this one.

coleslawed likes this.
  13. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

they're less acclaimed and less busy these days so it may have dwindled depending on his agents and his own business savvy but once upon a time i would expect it to have been in the 3-4 million range. wouldn't be surprised if he's still a millionaire

14. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

That net worth estimation has nothing to do with Google. All Google did was pull information from the top search result, which was the super-reliable-sounding wikipicky.com.

I completely agree with jordalsh that this number is a complete guess. One of the radio personalities on a morning show I listen to (Kellie Rasberry) has a reported net worth on celebritynetworth.com of $5 million. She said she actually reached out to the site and asked where they came up with that number because it was way too high. The guy said it was just an estimate based on industry trends for her profession and how long she's been working. Point being that you can't really trust any of these sites. Also, her number hasn't changed in 5+ years, so apparently she's not saving very well.