Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Modern Baseball Release “Tripping in the Dark” Documentary

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Modern Baseball have released a 17 minute long documentary called “Tripping in the Dark” on YouTube. You can also find that and the latest press release after the jump.

Philadelphia indie punk quartet Modern Baseball shared a documentary on the band and the making of their forthcoming third LP Holy Ghost today. Directed by Kyle Thrash, who has also directed all of the band’s music videos, “Tripping in the Dark” is both endearingly funny and harrowingly vulnerable, providing a window into the inner workings of the young band. Holy Ghost will be released on Run For Cover Records on May 13, 2016 and Modern Baseball will embark on a headlining North American tour beginning in May with support from Joyce Manor and Thin Lips (all tour dates below). Album pre-sale is currently available via Run For Cover Records as well as all tickets for the tour.

The first album recorded by someone other than the band themselves, Modern Baseball enlisted Joe Reinhart (Hop Along, Joyce Manor) at Headroom Studios in Philadelphia to help refine their sound on Holy Ghost. In a tight 28 minutes, Holy Ghost covers an impressive emotional range, with co-songwriters Jacob Ewald and Brendan Lukens literally splitting the record in half. The record kicks off with six songs from Ewald and ends with five from Lukens. What they ended up with was a complete record of the past two years– the highs alongside the lows, tales from the road and glorious days at home alongside songs of heartbreak and personal struggle.

The band released their debut LP Sports through Lame-O Records in 2012, creating a full lineup with Ian Farmer on bass and classmate Sean Huber on drums. Sports’ uniquebrand of scrappy indie-punk exuded a relatable charm that pleasantly caught people by surprise. The band quickly gained the attention of Run For Cover Records, who signed the young punks in early 2013. By the time they released their follow up record You’re Gonna Miss It All in 2014, Modern Baseball had built a solid foundation of buzz and deeply passionate fans. The record charted at #97 on Billboard’s Top 200 and led them to tours across the globe with bands like The Wonder Years, The Menzingers, and Say Anything.

In 2015 Modern Baseball released The Perfect Cast EP. Still flaunting their signature sincerity, the band showed they could turn their adolescent nervous energy into insightful emotional awareness and sonic power, while selling out headline shows across several continents. 2016 looks to launch the band into even greater things.

The post Modern Baseball Release “Tripping in the Dark” Documentary appeared first on chorus.fm.

noKings likes this.
  2. SamLevi11 Apr 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 4, 2016)
    SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This was great. The part on Brenden's mental health issue was very touching.

Can't wait for the new album. Sports was too good, the EP was brilliant, especially the final song.

3. CMilliken

Trusted

I've watched this video twice. Really cool and moving. Also made me really excited for Holy Ghost.

4. Super excited for this. It's going to be weird hearing the album be split in half between Jacob and Brendan instead of the songs being mixed together.

5. heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

the best. really pumped for the new record.

6. Eric

Regular

Honestly I didn't know there were two different guys who sang for the longest time. I can tell them apart now but their voices are similar enough that I don't notice until I read that there were two singers haha

7. GooberSandwich

Regular Supporter

I did not know this either. Now I get to re-listen to You're Gonna Miss It All in a whole new light. Hurrah!

8. notbrokejustbent

Actually, Holy Ghost will be the first record where dual vocals are split. On past releases, it's just been Brendan. Though live, all band members sing different songs, which is super fun to hear. So You're Gonna Miss It All won't be too different in this new light but it's still amazing.

9. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This broke my heart but was so relatable...

Excited for this record

10. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

I'm confused, are you saying Brendan did all the vocals on the recordings for Sports and You're Gonna Miss It All? Because that is most definitely not the case!

This little documentary was really cool and it was really cool of Brendan to be so open about his mental health issues, it could mean a lot to people. Also, Jake's hair is really great, all of it, beard and all.

11. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Jake actually sang on all their previous releases, including possibly my favourite song of theirs, Pothole.

12. GooberSandwich

Regular Supporter

Since I'm at work and can't listen: Is this Jake on lead? Or is he sharing duties?

13. Anticitizen7

Jake on lead. Don't think Brendan even does backing vocals here.

14. GooberSandwich

Regular Supporter

Ok cool. Thanks for the info! I'll check this later with a fresh "ear"

15. I teared up while watching this. This band is going to be important, I can feel it. So excited for Holy Ghost!!

16. Anticitizen7

No problem. I honestly did have trouble distinguishing Jake From Brendan at first but once I did its hard to not hear the difference. I think I prefer Jake's voice overall but Brendan has some of their best songs so whatever.

17. notbrokejustbent

That's Jake?? You can't even distinguish between them, they're so close!

18. GooberSandwich

Regular Supporter

damn. after watching that video, and now going through You're Gonna Miss It All, I'm definitely noticing the difference now. Jake's voice is ever so slightly deeper while keeping closer to the melody of the respective song. Whereas Brendan's voice cuts through the music at a somewhat higher registry when he's on lead

Or I'm imagining it. I tried finding individual credits for each song to know for sure, but I had no luck

19. Anticitizen7

I wouldnt say your imagining it because that is exactly how I would describe the difference!

GooberSandwich likes this.
  20. Eric

Regular

If you guys still can't figure out who sings what, search for some acoustic videos on YouTube

21. GooberSandwich

Regular Supporter

That's a good idea too haha. I like the fun in trying to guess though. It's a test for my ears.

22. GooberSandwich

Regular Supporter

Tubular! I'm not hearing things! :ok:I certainly have a slightly renewed appreciation for the album just knowing that these two dudes shared so much of the songwriting/vocal credits, and I'll be paying more attention to the new album:beer:

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

This was fantastic. Brenden's struggles were so relatable, as someone who has had similar situations. They all seem like genuine, natural and talented individuals.

Well done to them, I truly enjoyed this.

24. CMilliken

Trusted

So are there two vocalist on any of their releases? I swear I can hear two different people singing on You're Gonna Miss It All.

25. Eric

Regular

Yes. I don't know why that one person said there weren't. Usually there's one guy singing lead on each song but sometimes they split lead on certain songs