Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Modern Baseball - Holy Ghost (May 13, 2016) Album • Page 28

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Every time I listen to SBD, I'm just reminded I'd rather listen to MB

2. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I like SBD enough, but nowhere near as much as MoBo. There's a handful of songs I love, but there's a lot of songs that are just kind of there for me.

3. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

Got Sports on the green vinyl repress at a record store in Philly for $20 last weekend.

4. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Popping in to say that I continue to really miss this fucking band more than I have words for.

5. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

6. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

7. Modern Baseball records turning 10 means I've been out of college for 10 years and god damn I'm old.

8. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

It’s almost 20 years since I started college.

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  9. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

That article reminded me that the perfect cast EP exists and damn it’s so good I haven’t listened to this in like 7 years.

10. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I bought Holy Ghost and enjoyed it but never really gave their previous records a proper chance. The anniversary of You're Gonna Miss It All prompted a revisit and even though I'll never feel the connection to that record that so many others do, I really really like it now. It's all I've been listening to for a week. Great stuff!

What would you consider the quintessential 4th wave albums? I feel like You're Gonna Miss It All has to be included. Home and Whenever If Ever, obviously. Peripheral Vision. What else belongs at the very top?

11. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Keep Doing What You’re Doing

12. jayreimenschneider

Regular

Temple of Plenty and Kingfisher are up there for me

dustman, ItsAndrew, Collins and 3 others like this.
  13. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Would we say The Albatross?
    I prefer Nearer My God - could be an argument that NMG was the end of 4th wave, its final masterpiece?

jayreimenschneider likes this.
  14. jayreimenschneider

Regular

I think most would include The Albatross, seems like a defining album of that era. I also prefer NMG (and Dealer) but for me Goodness feels more like the end of the 4th wave. NMG could be in that conversation though.

15. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I feel like Goodness represents the point where that movement finally came to the surface in terms of mainstream/tastemaker coverage. And as is often the case that validation came at a cost. Some of the magic was lost, and bands gained fewer new fans than they had when the scene was confined to basements and forums...

bradpetrik likes this.
  16. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Are we talking fourth wave emo or that whole wave in general?

17. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I’d say Sports (now known as Remember Sports) 2014 album Sunchokes as well.

Ironically, they opened the one time I was supposed to see Modern Baseball but I ended up not being able to go sadly.

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  18. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I have no idea what technically fits into 4th wave so all options welcome.

19. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I found a suggestion that Some Kind of Cadwallader and the self titled Tigers Jaw both kicked off the 4th wave. That was 2008. How does a band like The Dangerous Summer come along right after that but seemingly are so removed from that "scene"? I'm not from the USA is it mainly regional? And Manchester Orchestra are another one that seems too late for the third wave but too soon for the 4th...

20. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I honestly don’t associate Manchester Orchestra with the emo scene but I also wasn’t into them then and only very casually ever listen to them so I’m probably a bad person to speak on this haha

21. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Both Manchester and Dangerous Summer have never been in my mind associated with emo.

My top five usually changes on my mood, but the definitive 4th wave albums for my taste.

Brave Little Abacus - Just Got Back from Discomfort
    Algernon Cadwallader - Parrot Flies
    Empire! Empire! - What It Takes to Move Forward
    I Kill Giants - I Kill Giants
    TWIAPB - Whenever, If Ever

22. jmitch0906

Quorn

Have to include Glocca Morra into a 4th wave top 5 list imo.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  23. JoshIsMediocre

The ocean's awesome, and for winners Supporter

you just made whatever that is up

24. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

[​IMG]

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  25. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I miss Glocca Morra

dqwinny likes this.